Sign in to follow this  
Christian

The Amazing Race 12

Details on the teams are still to come at CBS.com, but for now, the network has announced that the new season begins Sunday, Nov. 4, at 8 p.m. Eastern Time.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Can I just say how psyched I am that in about half an hour, I'll be watching The Amazing Race on my TiVo?

Thanks.

I'm SO psyched that in about half an hour, I'll be watching The Amazing Race on my TiVo.

Ah.

That's better.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Rassin' frassin' 60 Minutes... (grumble)

Delaying The Amazing Race for half an hour so Andy Rooney can make some vapid, empty commentary ("It can't be easy being President. I'm sure I'm not smart enough to make all those hard decisions. But I'm pretty sure I would have been smart enough to keep us out of Iraq.") Please!

But The Race did eventually begin.

Liked the geeky brother and sister team, the father/daughter team, the Goths (but please, let's not spend a lot of time saying that you're trying to show that Goths are people, too. Just BE, and let the chips fall where they may), and the lesbian pastors (so far). Disliked the team that was eliminated, the blonde gals (how's it going, using your bodies to get ahead?) and the boyfriend/girlfriend team that kept calling the Goth couple "freaks." You just never look good calling people "freaks." Can't say I hold out much hope for grandpa/grandson team.

I kept waiting for someone to say, "My donkey's BROKEN!" like Colin a couple of seasons ago...

I loved the high-wire bicycling RoadBlock!

And we saw proof positive, yet again, that if you ever get to be a contestant on The Amazing Race, you should work very, very hard on your map reading skills.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

My pre-race favorites are Kate & Pat and Rachel & TK.

Most likely to melt down: Azaria & Hendekea

Most disliked: the Beautiful People team - Jennifer & Nathan

There are way too many Southern California people. And way too many waiters (and waiter-hyphenates).

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

First team eliminated doesn't seem like a big deal. Don't really think they'd have added much to the show. Their thing seemed to be willingness to backstab -- would have gotten tiring quickly. No sense that I wanted to get to know them more as has sometimes been the case with 1st round eliminated.

-from the film
Armin

First team eliminated doesn't seem like a big deal. Don't really think they'd have added much to the show.

They added something, alright: annoyance. This was the best first-round elimination I can remember. Get those folks out of the show NOW, please. Thankyouverymuch.

As for the other teams, LOTS of young, attractive people. Seriously. Shapely blondes, fit men ... but no models, right?

I'm concerned about the couple that had survived infidelity. Already we have trust issues being raised -- weren't they the team with the woman who said, "I don't know if I can spend my life with someone like that," or words to that effect? I'm tired of the Race-as-prelude-to-wedded-bliss-or-imminent-breakup.

Maybe I have the wrong team. They sort of run together in the early stages of the season.

What is it with pretty blondes on this show (excepting those two from last season, who almost won) and their tendency to make horribly racist comments any time they

I gotta admit that Burkina Faso is an interesting place to take them. And I liked the learning or teaching language challenge.

-from the film
Armin

Ooh, they went to Burkina? Now I'm sorry I missed the episode. I have a friend over in Ouagadougou involved in relief/development/mission work. I was traipsing around Italy with her last month, but now she's back in Burkina.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

I gotta admit that Burkina Faso is an interesting place to take them. And I liked the learning or teaching language challenge.

At first, I didn't like the idea of using the children as a means to the end of finishing the task - I was afraid some over-anxious American dad would start browbeating them - but the idea of the challenge turned out to be great.

And hearing the bazillion different pronunciations of Ouadadougu (or however the heck it's spelt) was comic genius!

Got to watch the episode on tape; it was recorded by the family of Jane, my friend in Ouagadougou. I hear she was actually at the airport when the teams arrived. All she knew was that it was a large group of ugly Americans, and she stayed as far away from them as she could.

Not only did the blondes make horribly insensitive comments on the train, they also bickered with their taxi driver over an amount of 1,000 CFA francs. The CFA franc is trading at 442 to the dollar right now, meaning that they were sitting in a taxi in one of the world's poorest countries arguing over two dollars and fifteen cents. Yes, it's smart to conserve money, and yes, taxis in less developed countries often charge tourists more than they would charge locals. But this is a race

Kudos to the teams that realized the camels had no problem running along with them.

Yes, camels can get up a pretty good clip when they want to, but I guess that isn't common knowledge.

That guy reminds me of a shorter (and younger) version of Jeffrey Overstreet.

Who, the one with the hysterical girlfriend who couldn't milk a camel if her life depended on it?

Bingo!

Heh. Good one.

I think Anne could milk a camel without dissolving into the screaming mimis, and I think Jeffrey would realize that yelling encouragement at her only made the camel more anxious.

Hey, there's an open casting call for Amazing Race 13 in Tacoma next Friday...

Some random thoughts on tonight's episode:

• The U-Turn - better than the Yield, I think. I have to say, though I am not fond of the blonde team on this Race, they did in fact use the U-Turn strategically and appropriately. They didn't do it out of vengeance or spite, but U-Turned the team they believed to be in last place, and for all appearances bought themselves the time they needed to finish not-last.
  • Shut up, Jen. Azariah and Hendekia should LET you arrive first because they have already been first twice? What part of "Race" don't you understand? You want to finish first? RUN.
  • No chicken, no check-in. Hah!
  • It was the beast that killed the beauty. What's his name and what's her name were eliminated this leg because Lorena (that's her name!) melted down in the camel challenge in the last leg. There was no air travel this leg, it was all in-country, and so there was no serious bunching to give them an even playing field. For all that the editors tried to make it appear that it was Blonde-karma, we have no way of knowing at this point how far behind the Blondes they finished. They lost because Lorena couldn't control her emotions whilst milking a camel. Plain and simple.
  • Ron's physical mishaps and trials look like an enduring theme of this show until he and Christine get eliminated from the Race. And they WILL be eliminated from the Race, because there's no way he can compete whilst dragging his intestines along in a bag. There are other ways to prove you've got guts.
  • Azariah and Hendekiah are WAY too hyper. Chill, breathe, and realize that the Race is not everything, kids.
Edited by CrimsonLine

[*]Azariah and Hendekiah are WAY too hyper. Chill, breathe, and realize that the Race is not everything, kids.

Crimson: You had me until that last line. They're my favorite team right now. I think they understand that the Race is "not everything," and yet, while you're running it, it's best to think of it in that way, no? Seems to be paying off for them so far.

[*]Azariah and Hendekiah are WAY too hyper. Chill, breathe, and realize that the Race is not everything, kids.

Crimson: You had me until that last line. They're my favorite team right now. I think they understand that the Race is "not everything," and yet, while you're running it, it's best to think of it in that way, no? Seems to be paying off for them so far.

FWIW, they are my favorite team on the Race thus far, too.

Racers, in order of my preference for their victory, at the moment:

• Azaria and Hendekea - a bit hyper, but they Race hard, and seem smart and grounded
  • Kent and Vixen - they seem very un-Goth, to my eyes, but in any case they Race hard, and treat others kindly
  • TK and Rachel - perhaps not competitive enough to be good Racers, but inoffensive and fun to watch
  • BIG DIVIDE HERE
  • Nicolas and Donald - okay, so Donald's crusty and foul-mouthed, but they seem like a good team
  • Shana and Jennifer - tiresome and vain
  • Ronald and Christina / Jennifer and Nathan (tie) - each team has at least one unpleasant member, and they speak rudely about other teams, making them a drag to watch

Also, did anyone else gag at Lorena and Jason's closing words about the possibility of marriage after their elimination this week?

Speaking of Vixen, her comments about Africa last night made me choke up. She seems genuine, as does Kynt, although when they said they thought the Africans would find them funny-looking, I confess that I thought to myself, "So do Americans." But they're a decent couple as far as I can tell.

@#&^!^# football!!!

Instead of TAR, I TiVo'd sixty minutes of, well, 60 Minutes. I have to extend my Season Pass by an extra hour because of all the #$&*@$^ sports delays. No wonder I generally hate professional sports (except for last night's Pats/Eagles game).

I feel ya. We turned on "Breach" and watched 75 minutes of it while waiting for "Race" to begin. This is a constant problem during football season. By the time the show ended, we were ready for bed. We'll have to finish up the movie tonight.

Only a problem for those who don't live on the Left Coast. We never have to deal with that. And World Series games never go to midnight. Only problem is the early NFL game is during church time.

-from the film
Armin

Speaking of Vixen, her comments about Africa last night made me choke up. She seems genuine, as does Kynt, although when they said they thought the Africans would find them funny-looking, I confess that I thought to myself, "So do Americans."

But I'm sure no one in Amsterdam gave them a second look!

@#&^!^# football!!!

Instead of TAR, I TiVo'd sixty minutes of, well, 60 Minutes. I have to extend my Season Pass by an extra hour because of all the #$&*@$^ sports delays. No wonder I generally hate professional sports (except for last night's Pats/Eagles game).

Yep, my Season Pass for TAR is 2-hours long. And this week, it was almost not enough!!

Tonight's leg had some fun moments, but was marred (IMO) by some really horrible people. Fortunately, one of those teams was eliminated.

Nate and Jen seem like a terrible couple - the things he says to her are awful, and the way she treats him is insane. These two should not be together, and if it takes the Race to help them figure that out, then praise God. I think they have the idea now, though, so let's eliminate them next leg, shall we?

These blondes are everything that folks falsely accused last two season's blonde team of being. They are vain, catty, prejudiced, and all around horrible to watch. On the one hand, you need to not harp on past decisions. On the other hand, don't disregard your partner so totally. Ugh! Buh-bye and good riddance!

It was WEIRD seeing TK and Rachel come in first place. But they Raced well, outpacing everyone else in the stilt competition. Ronald needs to be hospitalized, STAT! Kent and Vixen continue to charm, and Azaria and Hendekea continue to perform competently if a bit too intensely. It looked like the two teams who had to find the hair salon got the short end of the Lithuanian stick, which left Donald and Nick scrambling just to stay in it.

The counting task was hilarious, if for no other reason than the weird costumed ladies making strange noises at you the whole time. How anyone could have kept count while that was going on, I'll never know.