Sign in to follow this  
Christian

The Amazing Race 12

Doing plenty of culling before any non-elimination legs (or two week legs). Anybody sorry about the elimination last night?

2 weeks in Burkina Faso, then Lithuania. I like the itinerary this season.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I cannot believe that last night was a non-elimination leg! That means they've burned 6 out of 11 teams straight! And that there are two non-elimination legs still to come in the next four! Yeeps!

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I'm struck by Jen's tendency to say "Oh my GOSH."

No adult says "gosh" unless they've got some moral worldview, or were raised with one (usually not even then, though). Nate and Jen don't strike me as particularly Christian, but the question crossed my mind more than once last night.

She really melted down, though, didn't she?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Maybe their grandmothers threatened to wash their mouths out with soap if they swore on TV?

They are an unpleasant couple to watch, perfectly mismatched in every way. I was stunned to see Azaria and Hendekea eliminated, though it looked like they were not far behind Nick & Don. Ah, the perils of international travel!

In other news, Nick & Don seemed more irritated with one another this leg than normal, and Ron & Chris less so. The previews for next week show Kent & Vixen having a bit of a blowout, which is surprising given their general equanimity thus far.

That first zipline, in Superman-position, looked like a blast! Why do so few people know how to ROW anymore?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Why is it that the blonde team kept talking about not having makeup, not having makeup, and yet Kent and Vixen have all of their makeup? I wonder if the producers asked that the blondes not carry any, while insisting on K&V keeping up their Goth.

Oh - and how Goth is it to say, "she's just a little pink kitten!"?

I loved the cannoneer setting off the "boom!" as they all approached the pit stop.

Glad to see TAR again! But sad to see Kent and Vixen go. Well, sad to see Vixen go. Kent was starting to grate on me. Not as much as Nate and Jen, but his rampant vanity was becoming increasingly annoying.

The big question, of course, in this leg is: How stupid were Kent and Vixen to U-Turn Nick and Don rather than Nate and Jen? I'm torn on this question. They were just at the flower-stringing detour alongside Nate and Jen, so they had good reason to think that they might be behind them. I should think that would outweigh the supposition that Nick and Don are generally a slow team. But we've heard a number of times this season that teams don't always know where the other teams are in relation to them. TK and Rachel famously went an entire leg not seeing anyone else. So I understand K&V's confusion. Ah, well.

Glad to see TAR again! But sad to see Kent and Vixen go. Well, sad to see Vixen go. Kent was starting to grate on me. Not as much as Nate and Jen, but his rampant vanity was becoming increasingly annoying.

The big question, of course, in this leg is: How stupid were Kent and Vixen to U-Turn Nick and Don rather than Nate and Jen? I'm torn on this question. They were just at the flower-stringing detour alongside Nate and Jen, so they had good reason to think that they might be behind them. I should think that would outweigh the supposition that Nick and Don are generally a slow team. But we've heard a number of times this season that teams don't always know where the other teams are in relation to them. TK and Rachel famously went an entire leg not seeing anyone else. So I understand K&V's confusion. Ah, well.

This is my first season of watching TAR, and I DVR the eps every week. And of course, I keep forgetting to set the DVR in case CBS preempts the program due to football.

Thus, I only caught 20 min of it. And I was forced to read the results on televisionwithoutpity.

:angry:

Wouldn't it make sense for CBS to re-air potentially pre-emptive programming, on another cable station, like how NBC re-airs shows on Bravo and USA?

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

Nick, just do what I do. Don't buy a DVR and yell at the TV every Sunday when you turn it on, only to discover that "60 Minutes" is at the 10-minute mark.

Sigh. Four teams left, and no one to root for. Yes, Kynt was a little vain, but I liked the guy. You gotta love a guy who talks about how his girlfriend -- who I don't find all that attractive -- is surely distracting the yoga teachers, as she bends and stretches.

Guy's in love. Whaddya gonna do?

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

This is my first season of watching TAR, and I DVR the eps every week. And of course, I keep forgetting to set the DVR in case CBS preempts the program due to football.

Thus, I only caught 20 min of it. And I was forced to read the results on televisionwithoutpity.

:angry:

Yeah, I have my TiVo set to tape TAR for an hour and a half after its scheduled ending time. It's the only path to TARsanity! :)

I was surprised that Miss Alli at TWOP didn't even mention the U-Turning in her recaplet. Browsing through the TAR forums at TWOP, that was hands down the most frequent topic of conversation. I can't wait to read Miss Alli's full recap, though.

Sigh. Four teams left, and no one to root for.

I would not mind if Don and Nick won, or TK and Rachel. I'll definitely root for those teams over Ron and Christina or Nate and Jen.

So TK and Rachel end up three hours behind everyone else due (as best as I could tell) to bad flight information from their travel agent guy. Sometimes on this show, the contestants ask for the fastest available flight, and the agent books them on the one that leaves the soonest, rather than the one that arrives the soonest. Perhaps that's what happened here?

The "drive a cab in Osaka" road block looked HARD, although only Nick seemed to have real problems with it, and then only on the way back, and even then he wound up only ten minutes behind the others.

Otherwise, a fairly "blah" episode. Nate and Jen started out interacting well, and when the stress hit, they bickered yet again. Blah blah blah. I guess I found out that I emotionally prefer Ron and Chris to Nate and Jen, because when they intercut editing at the end, I was happy that Ron and Chris got first place, but to be honest I don't really care for either team, and none of the remaining teams thrill me to any great extent. Ah, Kent and Vixen, I miss ye already!

Yeah, I found myself cheering for Ron and Christina, too. He

Jen was a real peach tonight, wasn't she?

This episode had my favorite post-elimination moment. Scratch that: There have been several deeply moving post-elimination interviews, and this one wasn't a "favorite." I liked that it was different, and that it didn't try to present some false sense of resolution.

The Race starts ON TIME, and Nate and Jen are eliminated? Great leg, dude. My wife and I high-fived each other when it was over.

We liked that N&J weren't eliminated due to bad luck, or poor cab driver-ing, but because they made some bad decisions that cost them. Also: the mother of all bunches! Can TK and Rachel make up a three-hour delayed start? Yes, when the producers rig it appropriately.

Yeah, Christian, you're right - the post-elimination interview was different. I'm not sure what to make of it, but it was different.

Edited by CrimsonLine

Did some thinking about this last night.

My assumptions:

1. That the three-hour bunching activity at the beginning of the leg was a last minute addition to bring the pack back together.

2. If the pack had not been re-bunched, TK and Rachel would have gone home instead of Nate and Jen.

Which is more important in a show like this? The purity of competition, or the elimination of odious teams? I suppose one could express it as the keeping of "nice" teams.

If I were a contestant, I'd want the Race kept pure, and as a viewer, the purer the better. But I did not want Nate and Jen to win. Dilemmas, dilemmas!

On another front, I really do not care who wins in the finale next week.

A satisfying end to a satisfying Race. I didn't particularly care which team won - they were all equally acceptable in my eyes as victors. I didn't particularly love any of these teams, nor did I particularly dislike them. That meant less drama than in Races where I *really* liked or *really* disliked teams, but then again, there was less chance that I'd be bitterly disappointed at the end (Kris and Jon got beat! boo hoo!).

The final Roadblock was...well, the toughest puzzle I've EVER seen on this show. Very cool. Very hard. Big applause to the producers for that one.

I really liked this final episode. After the last few seasons, t's a relief for once to have a winning team that I don't mind seeing them win. The final roadblock was terrific, it was almost like you could watching the wheels turning in the racers' heads as they're staring at those piles of stuff and trying to figure out what belongs there. Although I was a little nervous after the end of the task, that a bad taxi ride might change the outcome, but good thing that didn't happen.

And the Alaskan scenery was gorgeous. But that roadblock - digging into those fish guts would have been disgusting. I wonder what it would have been like to be the poor sap whose job it was to stuff a mini-canister containing a clue into that fish, or to tie an Amazing Race ribbon to the claw of one of those lobsters!

Hopefully there will be a TAR 13. And since there is an The Amazing Race - Asia version, I wish there was a way we could see it on some cable channel in this part of the world.

Edited by Crow

A Nick and Don victory would've bothered me, although I have some reluctant respect for the team because of Don's age. I was rooting for Ron and Chris, but I like TK and Rachel and was happy that a couple that didn't snipe at each other won. Great "season" this time around, with a satisfactory conclusion.

The final three teams seemed to like each other - the between-team friendships seemed strong in this one.

just to fill the void between race, I was looking to see when 13 starts (9/28) and read somewhere that they recently finished the race in

Portland, Oregon.

Edited by Darrel Manson

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

So, we should start an Amazing Race 13 thread...