Anal Mark Heard book question.

M. Dale Prins

M. Dickerson explains at the beginning of the book why he doesn't capitalize "Christian" when used as an adjective -- a defensible choice, I'd say, if a bit idiosyncratic. But why does he continually call the song "Satellite Sky" by the name "Why, Mama, Why"? Does he not know the title, or is there some larger point he

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Here's Matt's capitalization rationale: He doesn't agree with the use of the term "Christian" as an adjective for evangelical subculture and the artifacts it produces, so when he is forced to use it in that sense, he sets it in lowercase. Not only is this a defensible choice, I think it's the best option. You could put it in quotes ("P.Q. Rottensox has the hottest album on the 'Christian' charts"), but that makes you look snotty and sarcastic, and some folks might think you're questioning P.Q. Rottensox's faith. You could write around it, but you'll end up with labyrinthine sentences.

I didn't know why he kept using the wrong title for "Satellite Sky" either. I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence: I gave the book an exhaustive proofreading pass and overnighted my changes to Chicago -- unfortunately, I was a day or two late, and most of them didn't make it in. Boo hoo. Sure, the book could have been longer, but don't dismiss the lyrics, photos, and appendices. They are very nice to have, and they are there in an attempt to fulfill Mark's original vision of a book project. And I worked very hard on that discography and covers matrix, which aren't perfect (more items have come to light since the book went to press) but are the best in existence.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

: You could put it in quotes ("P.Q. Rottensox has the hottest album on

: the 'Christian' charts"), but that makes you look snotty and sarcastic,

: and some folks might think you're questioning P.Q. Rottensox's faith.

: You could write around it, but you'll end up with labyrinthine sentences.

Right. Given Dickerson's -- and, importantly, Heard's -- qualms about the subculture, it was probably the least intrusive method of making that opinion known other than simply mentioning it outright (which Dickerson also does, but never mind). Grammatically, I don't have an issue with such implicit editorializing, even when if it means disobeying the Chicago Manual of Style, but I'm not found of that specific device myself; it seems a tad haughty.

: I didn't know why he kept using the wrong title for "Satellite Sky" either.

Ah well. If you don't know, I doubt anyone else here will.

: I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence: I

: gave the book an exhaustive proofreading pass and overnighted my

: changes to Chicago -- unfortunately, I was a day or two late, and most

: of them didn't make it in. Boo hoo.

Um, that's really too bad. Reading almost all of Hammers and Nails last night, I saw a larger-than-expected number of mistakes -- not of fact, but a few grammatical mistakes, missing words, awkward or unclear phrases. I'm sure your list of changes would have helped.

: Sure, the book could have been longer, but don't dismiss the lyrics,

: photos, and appendices. They are very nice to have, and they are there

: in an attempt to fulfill Mark's original vision of a book project.

The appendices I've partially read before -- at least those Image excerpts -- but yeah, I won't disagree, especially regarding...

: And I worked very hard on that...covers matrix...

...which was fascinating; I didn't realize so many people had recorded his songs outside of OoG. Good job, dude.

So many people on this board do such cool things. I am merely a lame-o.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."