Interpretation. Vol 61, Number 4

The Oct. 07 issue of Interpretation: A Journal of Bible and Theology has the theme "Art and Exegesis". The major articles:

"Art and the Liturgy - Art in the service of the liturgy becomes part of the proclamation that is also an encounter -- with the sacraments, the signs of salvation, and new live instituted by Christ. Art associated with the liturgy illuminates and announces spiritual transformation.

"The Baptism of Christ and Temptations byMichele Tosini: A Lukan Reading" - In the Baptism of Christ and Temptation, Michele Tosini is creative in his placement of the temptation narratives and in his selection of the Lukan account. For Tosini, the baptism of Christ has profound allusions to Christ's suffering and death.

"The Raising of Lazarus: Caravaggio and John 11" - Combining art historical and biblical scholarship, this article examines John 11 to offer textual reasons for the unique motifs and composition in Caravaggio's Raising of Lazarus (1608-09) and to provide greater insight into the painting and its sources.

Meeting in the Garden: Intertextuality with the Song of Songs in Holbein's Noli Me Tangere - In their Noli me tangere images from the Northern Renaissance, Albrecht Durer and Hans Holbein the Younger depict the encounter between mary Magdalene and the risen Christ. They provide us with images of the holy in humanity, and the human in the holy in all their dimensions.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

It comes out of Richmond, Virginia, specifically from Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School of Christian Education. Website It is a great addition to any preacher's library. I've subscribed for 30 years and frequently refer to articles as a do sermon prep. Besides the main articles each month there are 3 "Between Text and Sermon" articles, and a large number of book reviews. I keep a card catalog of articles and book reviews. Take a little time every quarter, but over the years it has been invaluable.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin