Dollhouse

Peter T Chattaway

Somewhat random thoughts on ep. 12 with

SPOILERS!!! (what's the current policy?)

I was really proud of Ballard for arranging November/Mellie/Madeline's early release and not introducing himself or asking for any thanks--that is true love--and I did not believe for a minute that he has sold out to Dollhouse. He wants to get Alpha, and he's going to try to work from within--what other options does he have? He's burned his bridges, or had them burned for him, with the FBI. Of course, working in the belly of the beast is risky! (An allusion or shout-out to Angel season 5?)

What Claire said to Victor was terrible, but was she really projecting "Whiskey"'s feelings when she was scarred and then imprinted with the original Dr. Saunders? Over & over scenes in the episode emphasized that there's something essential about a human being that can't be "wiped" or contained in circuits or even in the brain. So intriguing how Joss "I'm-an-atheist/humanist" Whedon and Tim "raised-evangelical-but-over-it" Minear keep playing with the idea of the reality of souls (not to mention a lot of other spiritual truths).

So, if Caroline/Echo has returned to the Dollhouse, there's some element of choice there--not because she wants to be a slave, or complete her contract, I think, but because she intends to save herself.

OTOH, there was a lot we did not see, scenes cut (what did Sierra & November do after they were imprinted as anti-terrorist agents or whatever?), some continuity missing (how did Caroline get back to the house?)

Rumor says ep. 1.13 may be shown, now that there will be a second season, but it may be only available on DVD. Supposedly it does not fit directly into the narrative plotline of season 1.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Thanks, Beth, for reminding me of some of the more winsome aspects of that episode. All I could bring to mind afterwards were the hamminess of Echo's revelatory speech, the desultory conversation between Echo and Caroline, and Alpha's impotence. Having Echo talk to Caroline would have stretched the imagination in any scenario, but I think they muffed it on the acting side of things. It was really hard for me to see Caroline in the abductee, who still looked and sounded utterly traumatized when speaking as Caroline, and the blitheness of the banter just made things weirder.

Everything that matters is invisible.

-- Robert Bresson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I still haven't gotten around to watching this show, but this tweet from Mike D'Angelo intrigues me: "8 mins. into Dollhouse's unaired ep and it's blowing my mind. It's as if ALIEN had been a TV series and they made ALIENS as a DVD bonus."

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I still haven't gotten around to watching this show, but this tweet from Mike D'Angelo intrigues me: "8 mins. into Dollhouse's unaired ep and it's blowing my mind. It's as if ALIEN had been a TV series and they made ALIENS as a DVD bonus."

Friends and I watched "Epitaph One" last night, and "mind-blowing" is a pretty good descriptor. Teases out many themes hinted at in the series, and foreshadows plotlines that we might or might not get to see played out. At the time it was made, they didn't know if there would be a second season. Joss promised the suits he could deliver an ep. at significantly less cost than previously (sorry, don't remember exact %) but it looks fantastic and is really all about writing--really ramps up the sci-fi atmosphere--pacing, and acting--mostly by a whole new cast.

This episode and the original (unaired) pilot are together on the 4th DVD of the series, along with all the other special features, so for those who have seen the whole series & don't care about commentaries on earlier episodes, you can just rent that one from Netflix.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Agreed, "Epitath One" is a terrific episode, and sets up an intriguing and exciting direction for Season 2. And I thought the original unaired pilot on the DVD would have worked much better as a first episode than the pilot episode that was aired. I'm glad the show managed to survive, and I can't wait until the season premiere in September.

• 1 month later...

Dollhouse 2 debut a week from today with "Vows."

From all accounts, things should be interesting right from the start.

I'm really looking forward to it. I almost gave up on this series but kept coming back for more....and I'm glad I did because the second half of last season was great and the unaired episode "Epitaph One" was awesome. And, Summer Glau is joining the cast! Shiny!

"The greatest meat of all. The meat of friendship and fatherhood."

The Blue Raft - Are you ready to ride?

I respectfully disagree. Firefly is still head and shoulders above Dollhouse, or any of his other shows. At least in my mind.

Edited by Phill Lytle

If casual readers aren't aware of the geek-fest the S2 Dollhouse is becoming, well...here's an update.

The number of guest stars or reoccurring actors from other geeky (or Whedon-y) shows is through the roof:

Summer Glau (Firefly, Sarah Connor Chronicles)

Ray Wise (Reaper, Twin Peaks)

Alexis Denisof (Angel, Buffy)

Jamie Bamber (Battlestar Galactica)

Michael Hogan (Battlestar Galactica)

Keith Carradine (Dexter, among others)

This, plus the already geeky cast...wow.

By sheer coincidence, I've been borrowing my friend's Dollhouse DVDs right around the same time that Videomatica has begun sending me the Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 DVDs. So I've been alternating between two different science-fiction shows, both of which star Tahmoh Penikett. (And in one first-season episode of Dollhouse, we even see the actor who played Gaius Baltar's lawyer in Battlestar Galactica.) To hear that the overlaps get even more intense in Dollhouse's second season is, well, intense.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

so ... what's this rumor I hear about Amy Acker only being in 2 episodes this season?

I shrugged it off when I first heard it, but now after seeing the first episode ... that's too bad.

Not the greatest season opener - seems like these days, Whedon takes a little time to start building momentum. Without network prescriptions, it should build a little faster in this one than in the first season though. And when the plot actually gets moving, it's all worth it.

so ... what's this rumor I hear about Amy Acker only being in 2 episodes this season?

I shrugged it off when I first heard it, but now after seeing the first episode ... that's too bad.

Acker's scenes with Fran Kranz ("Topher") may have been the best parts of this episode. Plus, maybe, the brief appearance of Alexis Denisof...who me, a fan?

BTW, Denisof's character "Senator Daniel Perrin," has a website & is on Twitter as @SENDanielPerrin

According to a reliable TV critic:

The highlight of "Vows," though, was the Dr. Saunders storyline. Because the fate of "Dollhouse" was very much up in the air last spring, Amy Acker signed on to do ABC's midseason show "Happy Town." So she'll only be in 3 of these first 13 episodes....

I don't know who'll replace her as "doctor," though."

Thought this was a good start, although disappointed to see that the opening credits are still All About Eliza when the strength of the show has clearly become the ensemble. Guess there's nothing to be done about that when E.D. is an exec. producer. Also, hope to see more buildup to the events of "Epitaph One," but there's time for that.

Edited by BethR

Worst opening credits and music ever. There. I said it. I hate it with a passion bordering on total insanity. White hot hatred. Other than that, I really like the show and I thought the premiere was a solid episode. Not in the top 5, but much better than S1's early episodes.

The credit sequence this season is way lamer than last season's, but I definitely like the music. Kind of a sinister riff on a lullaby. I can't think of a Whedon-related show without a catchy intro tune.

I like last night's episode, but it took some time to process it. It was an Engagement of the Week-type deal, a step back in a lot of ways from how last season ended, but

The credit sequence this season is way lamer than last season's, but I definitely like the music. Kind of a sinister riff on a lullaby.

I have to respectfully disagree. The music sounds like it came from a cheesy, late night, erotic thriller on Cinemax.