Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Dollhouse

But if that was the penultimate episode, what does Whedon do for a finale?

Well, post-finale he's going to do an episode of Glee and is trying to get permission for Neil Patrick Harris to guest star.

In case anyone besides me still cares, Dollhouse ended tonight, with the series finale episode "Epitaph Two." (It was a sequel-of-sorts to last year's "Epitaph One.") I'm glad that Fox at least gave Whedon the chance to give the series closure, but the last few episodes--after they obviously knew it was going to be over soon--felt like running into a best friend you haven't seen in five years when you're going in opposite directions on an escalator. You have just enough time to shout out the big events and news, but not to fill in the gaps and details, or to really remind each other why the relationship ever felt so vital and important.

Well, at least someone else here cares. "Epitaph Two" was rushed, had goofy techspeak, and had tons of overacting...but I still thought it was an excellent wrap-up. The way some of the stories wrapped up really surprised me.

For instance, I never would've thought that Alpha uploading Paul's personality would've actually made him sane, let alone a good guy. Whedon loves redeeming (or something close to it) his bad guys, and I love that about him.

As high and low as the season swung, it felt like a complete story. I'm excited to get season 2 on DVD and share it with friends.

Well, at least someone else here cares. "Epitaph Two" was rushed, had goofy techspeak, and had tons of overacting...but I still thought it was an excellent wrap-up. The way some of the stories wrapped up really surprised me.

For instance, I never would've thought that Alpha uploading Paul's personality would've actually made him sane, let alone a good guy. Whedon loves redeeming (or something close to it) his bad guys, and I love that about him.

As high and low as the season swung, it felt like a complete story. I'm excited to get season 2 on DVD and share it with friends.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. My favorite thing about the last episode was how it touched every little thing I felt the last episode of dollhouse should. And it did it in such a way that left me extremely satisfied.

I'm looking forward to what Joss has next. (Though I know he's not. :) Whatever process he's going to have to do to get his next show is going to be hell. Because he's Joss Whedon.)

I thought the last episode brought things to a satisfying conclusion. Of course, it was an entire season packed into one episode.

All in all, I thought Dollhouse was an interesting concept that was at times fascinating, at times exasperating, and at times very emotional. But I applaud Joss Whedon for pulling this off. Hopefully he'll get a shot at another series at another network and leaves Fox behind for good.

Edited by Crow

We're a little late to the party, but Renae and I are finally getting around to watching Dollhouse, thanks to Netflix Streaming. We saw the first episode when it originally aired, but were left a little underwhelmed. You think we'd know by now to give Whedon the benefit of the doubt, but ah well... suffice to say, we're pretty hooked right now. We're almost finished with Season 1 after a marathon viewing this weekend.

Perhaps this has been discussed before in the thread -- I'm holding back on reading through lest I come across any spoilers -- but one thing that really stuck with me is that Dollhouse seemed especially disconnected from reality. Which didn't make it bad or anything, but it did give me pause in several places. And I think I finally figured out what it is: in Dollhouse, everyone we see is an elite. They're super-wealthy, super-intelligent, super-beautiful, etc. The people within the Dollhouse, the Dollhouse's clients -- they're all within this upper echelon. As such, there's not really any "everyman" character (like Xander or Wash) that serves as the audience's surrogate, that normal guy who is just along for the ride.

The dolls aren't, as they're blank slates. Ballard comes close, but even he's the ultra-awesome kick-ass special agent with mad kickboxing skills. That, combined with the fact that the series doesn't have clearly-defined protagonist -- Echo? Ballard? -- gives this extra level of unreality. Which isn't a bad thing per se, and might go hand-in-hand with the series' overall themes of identity and memory, but it's something that's been in the back of my mind so far.

Of course, this is all based on the first 11 episodes or so. You might be laughing at me right now because of what's in store later in the series, and if so, that's fine. I'll enjoy getting there eventually; I've enjoyed it so far. :)

Oh, and Alan Tudyk makes everything 100x better whenever he's onscreen.

Edited by opus

Oh, and Alan Tudyk makes everything 100x better whenever he's onscreen.

Absolutely! Just wait... :)

And J, did you watch "Epitaph One" yet? I don't think this is a spoiler, since I can say it without revealing anything at all, but I feel like some 'average joe' types show up then. That was an interesting observation on your part, too. Nice.

Edited by Jason Panella

And J, did you watch "Epitaph One" yet? I don't think this is a spoiler, since I can say it without revealing anything at all, but I feel like some 'average joe' types show up then. That was an interesting observation on your part, too. Nice.

Not yet. We should get to it in a day or two. Can't wait.

A preview of the Epitaphs comic that will be packaged with the season 2 DVD/BluRay.

"Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, joined by longtime Buffy the Vampire Slayer artist Cliff Richards, take us on an intricate trip through the precise moment when the Active technology went global, and how the protagonists from Epitaph One and Two narrowly avoided death, and worse.Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen wrote the Epitaph episodes of Dollhouse Seasons One and Two, and currently write for the Starz series Spartacus. This is their first work in comics. Artist Cliff Richards has drawn more Joss Whedon-related comics than any other artist, including issues of Buffy Season Eight."

We finished up Dollhouse last night, so I'm in a bit of a post-Whedon funk. Suffice to say, we thoroughly enjoyed it, and though the last couple of episodes were a little frustrating -- some of the last minute revelations and twists felt a little rushed and in need of a little more build-up (though I realize they were trying to cram several seasons' worth of material into a handful of episodes) -- it was still a wild and awfully fun ride.

Some of my initial issues were still in effect throughout the second season, but even when I had trouble relating to the characters, which diminished as the season went on, the ideas and situations bandied about the series kept me intrigued. And unlike, say, Lost, all of the revelations managed to achieve a certain amount of closure that was satisfying and faithful to the characters. And of course, this being a Joss Whedon show, there was just enough to tragedy that had us cursing Whedon's name for the sadistic so-and-so that he is.

A few other random thoughts:

- Victor being imprinted with Topher (which isn't as spoiler-ish as it sounds) is now one of my favorite moments in the entire Whedon lexicon. It's right up there with Angel as a puppet.

- Speaking of Topher, I think he was my favorite character in the end. I found his arc to be especially affecting, as he moved from an amoral genius to someone capable of guilt, regret, friendship, and love.

- Adelle might be a close second. I loved the character in all of her various states, from ice-cold bitch to deposed queen to strong-willed matriarch. I especially loved her interactions with Topher in the "Epitaph" episodes.

- Eliza Dushku was always the weakest link of the series, but I found the series' exploration of her "abilities" in the later episodes to be fascinating. And as I mentioned before, I really like the closure that her character received, despite the hell she had to go through to get there.

- Joss really needs to never have any dealings with Fox ever again.

Edited by opus

Good final thoughts, Jason. I completely agree with your thoughts on Topher (and on Victor as Topher). I think two supporting characters that I grew to love the most were

Lawrence Dominick, who went from humorless muscle to villainous fed to tireless hero, and Alpha...because who saw THAT coming in the end?

I got season 1 on Blu-Ray for $9.99 a few weeks back...I will have to sit down and start this soon...

Good final thoughts, Jason. I completely agree with your thoughts on Topher (and on Victor as Topher). I think two supporting characters that I grew to love the most were

Lawrence Dominick, who went from humorless muscle to villainous fed to tireless hero, and Alpha...because who saw THAT coming in the end?

I loved Victor and your second choice. I totally did not see that coming, but when it did, it made me sad for the progression leading up to it that we missed and would have gotten if the show had stuck around. So sad : (

And Opus: Victor as Topher was just astounding. I haven't seen that actor in anything else and his performances throughout the show were a wonderful surprise. It was great to have them sort of capped off with them joking around in a way.

I'm nearly finished season 1 watching Dollhouse on Netflix. I started watching the show when it originally aired, but I lost interest. Returning to it, I'm actually quite enjoying it. The only other Joss Whedon-helmed show I've ever seen is Firefly and I still think that's Whedon's best show. Aside from Topher, few of the characters on Dollhouse ​have that likability that virtually all Firefly main characters had.

It's my favorite Whedon show and I've seen them all. I get why some people don't like it. It's not quite as fun as some of the other shows and some of the episodes can be a little bit silly, but I find it's one of the most interesting sci-fi shows I've seen. I also think that the shows is very economical once it gets going.

You can tell Whedon has been burned before because he tries to make the most out of what he's given and tell a satisfying story instead of padding it out like some of his other shows.

I'm nearly finished season 1 watching Dollhouse on Netflix. I started watching the show when it originally aired, but I lost interest. Returning to it, I'm actually quite enjoying it. The only other Joss Whedon-helmed show I've ever seen is Firefly and I still think that's Whedon's best show. Aside from Topher, few of the characters on Dollhouse ​have that likability that virtually all Firefly main characters had.

Just wait.

Another Enver Gjokaj sighting: He was on Community last night.

He had a recurring role as a DA in the recently-cancelled USA series Made in Jersey. Too bad the show was just...not good. It wanted to be Working Girl + Legally Blonde (make the blonde brunette) + Jersey Shore + Aly McBeal + Suits (with female protagonists)...and it just couldn't be all those unmixy things. Gjokaj, as usual, made the most of his role.

- Victor being imprinted with Topher (which isn't as spoiler-ish as it sounds) is now one of my favorite moments in the entire Whedon lexicon. It's right up there with Angel as a puppet.

I loved this.

Just finished the series. I think I'm going to check out House of Cards next.