Sign in to follow this  
Christian

My Brother's Wedding

I've been looking for a Charles Burnett-related thread to post this, but can't find an existing thread that seems appropriate.

This film deserves its own thread.

Rather than describe the plot, I'll link to Doug C.'s excellent post on the film. I saw the movie last night.

I recommend it strongly to everyone on this board, and want to encourage consideration of this cut of the film for consideration on year-end Top 10 lists. I haven't orgazined a top 10 list yet -- not even in my head -- but am confident that this film will be sitting right near the top of it, maybe at Number 1. It is, in a word, fantastic, and certainly worthy of consideration as a "spiritual film," although I don't know that the film is primarily about faith. (Burnett attended the screening and suggested that spirituality/church is just one aspect of the film, although much more present here than in Killer of Sheep, FWIW).

This film was originally released in 1983, in a much longer cut, but only now is it in the director's intended form (surprisingly trimmed -- significantly -- rather than expanded).

I wasn't going to bother making the case for this film as a 2007 release because I didn't think it was getting a theatrical run, but A.O. Scott says otherwise in a Sept. 14 article. However, your best chance to see the film is on DVD, as Scott notes:

His early films in particular also testify to the vitality of a neorealist impulse that has never quite taken root in American cinema.

Now on DVD, in both cuts, plus Killer of Sheep, three earlier Burnett shorts, and a new Burnett short about Hurricane Katrina. Edited by Christian

Hallelujah! Rosenbaum has My Brother's Wedding at number 8 on his year-end list! (He prefers the longer cut, which I've yet to watch.) Edited by Christian