Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

French films a-go-go.

Who is the best French film director?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The local French Film Festival -- the best-attended in America, they say -- has just announced their slate of films, and most of the films (as usual) are North American premieres. Regardless, if anyone has seen any of the following works of cinema, or if anyone has seen films by the mentioned directors, I'd be happy to hear their opinions.

Most, if not all of those, haven't shown commercially here (or even in festivals, I would have to check that again). I envy your chance here Prins, most of these have only been reviewed in French too. That almost may be worth the drive for me.

DanBuck beat me to it.

('Cept I didn't care for 'The Messenger', but hey...)

However, I have to say Jeunet and Carot edge him out in my book.

(M):

: I envy your chance here Prins, most of these have only been reviewed

: in French too. That almost may be worth the drive for me.

Before your skin turns the color of Kermit's over the loveliness of my hometown festival -- and of course, were you to attend, you could share a bed with Kermit and my wife's other stuffed animals -- an explanation of this gala's raison d'

So you're saying NO subtitles? Just the French in all its glory?

Cool sig, Leary!

: So you're saying NO subtitles? Just the French in all its glory?

Oh no no no no no. The films have subtitles, but what the subtitlers are subtitling is mainstream, middlebrow French movies. That's all I'm saying.

Dale

Hmmm, this, I'd like to see sometime. I've seen some "middlebrow" French stuff in my time. I sometimes prefer it to full artsy French stuff.

(And it is interesting as a cultural experience to see the foreign genre films that would otherwise never play in the States [since the audience most likely to enjoy them would be scared away by the subtitles].)

Bingo. And French pop-comedies tend to be a lot wittier than the American equivalent, but this may just be my francophilia showing itself again.