Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyle

My Bloody Valentine

33 posts in this topic

Holy. Crap. Indeed.

"It's going to be this 96/97 record half-finished record finished, and then a compilation of stuff we did before that in 1993

At this point I don't even care if it's a subpar album. I just want it.

I want this too, but at this point, I'll believe it when my eardrums are actually being shredded apart by Kevin Shield's chaotic, frenzied walls of noise.

Last night I was wandering the interwebs looking at the youtoobs for video of MBV. I still have cilia left, perhaps this will fix that. We are however quickly running out of Days in 2007.

This one is right up there with (and in fact surpasses) the so-called "new Portishead album." Prove it, reclusive pasty British dudes!

My Bloody Valentine To Self-Release New Album:

The plan is that they will release the album themselves via the Internet, but there will also probably be a vinyl release.

The plan is that they will release the album themselves via the Internet, but there will also probably be a vinyl release.

If only the article mentioned a release date. Because, lets be honest, 2007 is not happening.

Especially if they're just now going into the studio to work on things.

If only the article mentioned a release date. Because, lets be honest, 2007 is not happening.

Web releases seem to have a swifter turnaround, so this might not take as long as expected. (Still no 2007, though).

Also, I wanted to see what it would look like with a half-dozen quotes nested inside one another.

Web releases seem to have a swifter turnaround, so this might not take as long as expected. (Still no 2007, though).

Also, I wanted to see what it would look like with a half-dozen quotes nested inside one another.

It also serves as a neat eye trick: is the pyramid going up into the sky or down into the ground?

In a fit of self-disclosure, I hadn't heard any album except Loveless before last week. I decided to take some birthday money and purchase Isn't Anything. After a week and multiple listens, I'm not sure what to make of it. It's certainly not what I expected. It's definitely raw, much more raw than I imagined. Yet, it's also stunning and beautiful at time. It's deafening at times, yet never collapses under it's own weight. It's definitely leading somewhere (Loveless), but seems to stand up on its own as well. Maybe it's my preconceived notions of it, or my love of Loveless, but I still can't say I love this album. Yet. It took me quite a long time to get into My Bloody Valentine and I think it might be the same for this album. The jury is still out.

I used to own a copy of Isn't Anything, but sold it when I was a poor college student and needed some cash; I guess I figured that Loveless was enough. I've never gotten around to picking up another copy. However, I do own Ecstacy And Wine, a collection of some of their early singles. While nowhere near as noisy or shoegazer-y as their most famous albums, there are a number of jangly pop songs that are quite lovely (e.g., "Strawberry Wine" and "(Please) Lose Yourself In Me").

In a fit of self-disclosure, I hadn't heard any album except Loveless before last week. I decided to take some birthday money and purchase Isn't Anything. After a week and multiple listens, I'm not sure what to make of it. It's certainly not what I expected. It's definitely raw, much more raw than I imagined. Yet, it's also stunning and beautiful at time. It's deafening at times, yet never collapses under it's own weight. It's definitely leading somewhere (Loveless), but seems to stand up on its own as well. Maybe it's my preconceived notions of it, or my love of Loveless, but I still can't say I love this album. Yet. It took me quite a long time to get into My Bloody Valentine and I think it might be the same for this album. The jury is still out.

I'm with you on this, and though I still am not sure what to make of the album, I'm leaning a little more toward "only OK." I really like it in spots, but there are a few tracks that I can't even make it all of the way through.

One of the reasons I'm reserving judgment is that it took me quite awhile to "get" Loveless. I didn't hear it until rather recently (maybe three years ago). And it was only because it was that an "essential" album. I wasn't too enamoured with it at first, but I persistantly listened to it and it slowly became a favorite. I'm not that hopeful for Isn't Anything, but hey, it was free.

Have you heard the EP Glider, Jason or Opus? It's only 4 songs and might be a worthwhile itunes grab.

Isn't Anything and Loveless are getting the reissue treatment:

...the only two MBV albums that matter... will hit UK shops June 16 in newly remastered formats. While the Isn't Anything remaster spans only one disc, the Loveless one comes as a double-disc: the first disc remastered from both DAT (digital audio tape) and analogue tape, and the second remastered from just analogue tape. No needless bonus cuts or anything, just two gems in all their pristine, self-contained glory.

More info here.

NME reviews MBV's first gig in 16 years:

There were six songs from 'Loveless', including crowd favourite 'Soon', and four from the album which preceded it, 1988's 'Isn't Anything', including the single 'Feed Me With Your Kiss'.

The rest of the set was made up of tracks from the EPs the band recorded on the label, including the standard near 20-minute run through closer 'You Made Me Realise', My Bloody Valentine's first single on Creation. The group then received an ecstatic reception as they left the stage.

I am really looking forward to Thursday October 2 Santa Monica.

I'm just imagining what it would have been like to stand in that crowd. Those four snare hits at the beginning of "Only Shallow" had to be the all-time biggest moment of pent-up anticipation in the history of indie rock. I wouldn't have been surprised if some people had dropped dead of sheer excitement before the the first notebend was finished.

I'm just imagining what it would have been like to stand in that crowd. Those four snare hits at the beginning of "Only Shallow" had to be the all-time biggest moment of pent-up anticipation in the history of indie rock. I wouldn't have been surprised if some people had dropped dead of sheer excitement before the the first notebend was finished.

Some similar thoughts ran through my head. I had a hard time breathing for about 10 minutes when I read the initial report.

But on the same token, no matter how good it was, I'm sure it may not have lived up to some folks' expectations. (Just as I'm sure some of the well-received reunions in the past few years

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Crappy sound quality, but even so...

Here's the original video for "Only Shallow":

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Awesome video of "To Here Knows When" from the Fuji Rock Festival...

">

If the ringing in my ears, the stammering, the blindness and disorientation would stop. I could tell you that last night, at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium was amazing.

The sound was spectacular. I had a set list but somewhere around minute 15 of You Made Me Realize, everything went white. There was an electromagnetic storm that erased all memory. I remember Belinda introduced two roadies and said "Thank you for coming".

Kevin Shields said something like I am fond of crisps and then the lights went magenta, people got nose bleeds, paramedics went on alert and a fantastic show wrapped up in a squall of hiss that was epic in a way that getting sucked through a jet engine must be.

I don't generally rate a concert experience by ones ability to survive it. MBV have raised the bar.

Edited by mumbleypeg

I'm more than a tiny bit jealous. Every word I've heard from these shows is nothing short of glowing. It makes me wish I could make it/afford a show. Although my 2+ year drought of concerts make me think my ears couldn't handle it anymore. I'm starting to become the "if its too loud turn it down" guy. Boo.