Sign in to follow this  
Persona

The Two Best Bands at Cornerstone...

Were Anathallo and Detholz. Awesome. And it took me totally by surprise, because i was really only in the tent to make JRobert and my gal happy. (well, kinda -- i had a mild interest in Detholz).

Anathallo is a post-alternative pop group made up of what looks like band geeks from 10th grade. Yes, they had a flugelhorn player. Yes, they had two trombone players. And yes, the flugelhorn player and the two trombone players also played marching band percussion pieces when they weren't playing their horns, the greatest of which was the BIG BASS DRUM, just like out of The Music Man. The most interesting thing about these three was the furious abandon with which they played, especially on the marching band drums. They danced, beat the drums like crazy, and in general, just had the time of their lives. It goes to show you that it's not always what you're playing, but the manner in which you're playing it.

Of course with these three there was a normal alterna band and singer (typical rock setup with no keys). The singer was fantastic, except that between every song he kept talking about this one situation and it seemed he was digging a hole that was going deeper and deeper. But he was quite funny, too, and that probably saved him.

Detholz was utterly awesome. I am talking the new Danielson experience of Cornerstone. Their gimmicks were unbelivably cool, and the music was like Devo meets Pixies and every few minutes throw in a touch of 90s grunge just for fun. It was a great meeting place for all of these styles to collide.

The guitarist/singer in Detholz is the coolest ROCK STAR i've been immediately drawn to in quite some time. Dressed in a green gown as the staue of liberty (complete with the crown and all), he walks the stage with a police loudspeaker making statements about the apocalypse and end times, all with a serious tone so that you have a hard time knowing how much is tongue in cheek. He says things like, "Are you enjoying these end times? Would you like some cookies and milk to make you comfortable in this apocalypse?" Along with this they have a guy that sits there the whole time in a very serious manner and holds up cue-cards for the audience. The APPLAUSE cue-card really helped Mr. Gloom and Doom to exaggerate the message. Other cards reminded me of Triumph of the Will, cue-cards reading things like "Defend the Motherland," etc...

The rest of the band wears stars on their shirts. I'm not sure what the stars represented but it looked pretty communist. I bought a CD and haven't had a chance to look for the lyrics yet (not included with the disc) but i'd like to search them over to look for signs of cynicism, marxism, propheticism, etc-cism.

Detholz just plain rocked in concert. If i had a big record label i would've pursued them on the spot. If i had access to money i would get them to sign and work hard to get them on the road with, say, Interpol. Or maybe Clinic. They would make a great tour with either of those two bands. It was the highest energy concert i've been to in a long time, and the wit of Steve Taylor or the Alarma chronicles was present, but far more sarcastic than Steve or Terry ever took things.

If you like 80s new wave like Devo combined with an ultra-modern texturized feel, the CD is for you. If you like a new experience that is set apart from every other band on the planet that only plays the same old mindless riffs with no real creativity, see these guys live. They are from the Chicago area and just recently played Metro. I think they are playing at the Fireside at the end of August. Let's all go.

-s.

Ooh. Good review Stef.

Tim White manages them.

I'll be there.

When is Jacobstone? I am going to interview the heck out of those guys.

Where is my cd?

Wow. They're a Tim band! Who would've known. That means that you must have the skinny on these guys, so maybe you can tell me... are they for real or what? It just seemed more tongue in cheek than humanly possible. Kinda like, if the tongue is inserted that far in the cheek, some of this must be for real.

Oh yeah, i think that Jacobstone would fit in on the matthews house project website very well. I think that you interviewing them would be great, and i think that you should aim to find their video guy... You definitely should have him as a part of the interview. i wonder if they've ever shown any of his abstracts at Flickerings?

IDEA -- we should have Jacobstone play Flickerings. Now that would be cool.

Um, or maybe not. i don't know. I don't know if the room has enough outlets.

Your Jacobstone CD is still on my stereo at home. You shouldn't have left so fast! If you come to the drive in with us tonight i'll bring it out to you.

-s.

: I am talking the new Danielson experience of Cornerstone.

Hi. What is wrong with the old Danielson experience of Cornerstone? Do you not know that he wears a tree? Do these other bands wear trees? Do you not understand that tree-wearing is the most important methodology of divining a band's awesomeness? Those are the questions I am asking you.

Dale

I am glad that those are the questions you are asking me, because i can answers those questions, but perhaps the questions you are not asking me are the ones i cannot answer. Fate, it would seem, has been kind to us.

Hi. What is wrong with the old Danielson experience of Cornerstone?

Nothing is wrong with them, i've just seen them 130 times or so (alright, probably like six) and i was looking for an experience like the one i had the first time i saw them. They're a great band, an even better novelty item.

Do you not know that he wears a tree?

I have heard that Brother Daniel does this from time to time. i missed it this time. I'm sorry i missed it, i've never seen someone wear a tree before.

Do these other bands wear trees?

No, but you're right. They all should. Especially Michael Knott. He should wear a much wider tree. And one with many rings.

Do you not understand that tree-wearing is the most important methodology of divining a band's awesomeness?

I guess i did not understand that before, but i see now that you're right and i stand corrected. i played at a country club last night for a lady that has leukemia. We raised like $20,000 for her but no one wore a tree, myself included. i feel now that perhaps we all missed out, and that i failed to bring them what they truly needed, that is, ME -- in a TREE.

-s.

Edited by stef

Oh man! Now I'm sorry I missed Detholz. My friend Kevin wanted to go see them after somebody dressed as the Statue of Liberty (was he from the band or just a promotor/fan, I wonder?) handed us some flyers. I was scared and hung out at the Press Tent to catch Glenn Kaiser's press conference instead...

Delurking in the music section because stef threatened me with almost-certain death if I didn't help defend him on the Detholz thing

Hi. What is wrong with the old Danielson experience of Cornerstone? Do you not know that he wears a tree? Do these other bands wear trees? Do you not understand that tree-wearing is the most important methodology of divining a band's awesomeness? Those are the questions I am asking you.

Dale

This is true. Indeed, no truer statement/question has been uttered.

Detholz was utterly awesome. I am talking the new Danielson experience of Cornerstone. Their gimmicks were unbelivably cool, and the music was like Devo meets Pixies and every few minutes throw in a touch of 90s grunge just for fun. It was a great meeting place for all of these styles to collide.

This is also true. Indeed, no truer statement has also been uttered.

All fans of Danielson should make every effort to see Detholz if the opportunity arises. They are brain-washing fun.

My favorite moment occurred right at the beginning of the show. The lead singer, who has more charisma in his big toe than I could ever hope to have, came out and started singing in some other tongue. Chinese? Korean? The Spirit? I wasn't sure. The cool dude with the shaved head and goatee was holding up the aforementioned sign about defending the motherland and being the people's army. The implication was that the sign was the translation for what Detholz dude was singing. Then as lead singer guy launched into the second verse in his foreign tongue, he implored the audience to "come, sing along." That was by far the funniest thing at Cornerstone. Even funnier than the Steve Taylor intro video.

But Stef is wrong about one thing. No band was better than Steve Taylor. He rulezzz.

J Robert

who will now shuffle back to the movie section where he belongs

My friend Kevin wanted to go see them after somebody dressed as the Statue of Liberty (was he from the band or just a promotor/fan, I wonder?)

He was the lead singer/guitar player.

stef threatened me with almost-certain death if I didn't help defend him...

I don't remember being quite so severe but perhaps i was rather presumptiously forward.

But Stef is wrong about one thing. No band was better than Steve Taylor. He rulezzz.

Heh, yeah now you're right. I've seen Steve in concert over 20 times, even spent a part of my honeymoon with Kara and him in Canada, and he does rule. But now he also has spiritual grandkids like the Danielsons or Detholz that rule thru the spirit of the ground he's taken and shaken.

-s.

Edited by stef

: All fans of Danielson should make every effort to see Detholz if the

: opportunity arises. They are brain-washing fun.

For future reference: I disallow you to tell me this when the closest they are touring to the East Coast is Indianapolis.

That said, I prefer my novelty bands sincere as can be -- the Danielson Famile, if nothing else, is achingly sincere -- and so I am not sure I will jive with what seems to be Detholz's pomo irony. But I could be misreading your description of the band. (Steve Taylor, to clarify, is a bipolar hybrid of sincere and sarcastic, which is almost as interesting as overt sincerity.)

Dale

M. Dale Prins wrote:

: Steve Taylor, to clarify, is a bipolar hybrid of sincere and sarcastic, which

: is almost as interesting as overt sincerity.

Hmmm. I have said for years that the reason I like TERRY Taylor is that he, like I, is frequently sincere and sarcastic at the same time. But I would never have applied that description to STEVE Taylor. Maybe it's the word "bipolar" that makes all the difference?

: Hmmm. I have said for years that the reason I like TERRY Taylor is that

: he, like I, is frequently sincere and sarcastic at the same time. But I

: would never have applied that description to STEVE Taylor. Maybe it's

: the word "bipolar" that makes all the difference?

It is, actually; Steve Taylor's sincerity, for better or worse, is much more compartmentalized than Terry's. I can't think of any Steve Taylor song that's simultaneously sincere and sarcastic the way, say, "Bibleland" is.

Dale

That said, I prefer my novelty bands sincere as can be -- the Danielson Famile, if nothing else, is achingly sincere -- and so I am not sure I will jive with what seems to be Detholz's pomo irony. But I could be misreading your description of the band.

I may be misreading the band, too. They're very new to me, i haven't had a chance to see any lyrics yet, and i've only listened to the disc once. I could have taken the whole thing as pomo-charged fodder for the masses, but perhaps they're completely sincere in everything they're doing and saying and only using the art to it's fullest potential in getting their point across. It's a tough first read. All i know is, i laughed for joy the entire time, not even fully knowing what i was laughing at, and the last two times that happened was 1. The first time i saw Danielson Famile, and 2. The first time i saw Sixteen Horsepower. Although, with 16HP i think i may have been laughing because i was nervous and a little scared that i wasn't going to make it out of there alive. (David Eugene Edwards is fascinatingly frightening.)

-s.

Edited by stef

: I can't think of any Steve Taylor song that's simultaneously sincere and sarcastic the way, say, "Bibleland" is.

Er, ah, "Bannerman"?

mrmando wrote:

: M. Dale Prins wrote:

: : I can't think of any Steve Taylor song that's simultaneously sincere and

: : sarcastic the way, say, "Bibleland" is.

:

: Er, ah, "Bannerman"?

Hmmm. Terry Taylor songs like 'Bibleland' and 'Evangeline' tend to focus on how God works IN SPITE OF what people are doing, whereas Steve's song is a more straightforward endorsement of what the guy does ... and it was apparently written in complete ignorance of what the real-life bannerman was actually like. Click here for a review I wrote of a documentary on the real-life bannerman ("Stewart was not the polite, slightly ironic figure in Taylor's song who knew how to wink at his detractors. Instead, he was an overly earnest man, desperate for attention, who smoked too much pot, watched too much TV and, when things didn't go his way, turned violent").

Actually doesn't Taylor call the song a tribute to Bannerman? I think i've heard him say that live quite a few times.

-s.

Yep. And that's why it doesn't qualify.

There may very well be a Steve Taylor song that does, however, so I'm willing to take sugestions.

Dale

Guilty By Association?

Um, where is the sincerity in that song?

Dale

He's sincerely making a point about people who are guilty by association? I can't think of the words right now to back myself up, i keep trying to think about it and getting it confused with Color Code.

"Guilty by Association" is a turnabout song. The first two verses are more sarcastic, poking fun at the idea of "Christians-only" business directories and critics of Christian rock (specifically, Swaggart) and questioning the "guilt by association" theology that seems to underlie those phenomena. The third verse turns the idea on its head, suggesting that if you donate to televangelists, you might be implicated by association in their shenanigans. I suppose you could make a case for the third verse being "sincere," but you still have the sarcasm and the sincerity compartmentalized, because he switches from one to the other instead of doing both simultaneously. There's a big difference between a painting that is 2/3 black and 1/3 white and a painting that is all dark gray.

I knew about the Bannerman ... he is, after all, from the same state I live in. I hope someone clued in Steve!

Detholz was utterly awesome.

Steve's already mentioned this to Stef in private, but we think it's so fun and weird to hear that Detholz still exists. They were a band at Wheaton when we there there, and it's not as if I expected them not to continue, but you know how many college groups don't. (For instance, I am not still in Women's Chorale.) Anyway, we're very happy for them.

I was the editor of the literary magazine kodon one year, and the lead singer was in charge of the kodon CD. Here's where Steve lied to you, Stef, so I'll clarify: We were doing a love theme that year, but Detholz insisted on doing "We're From the Future" with alterna-love lyrics (hilarious, naturally) instead of "Kiss Me in Space," which some suggested would be more love-themed. We think the reasoning was that the last kodon CD took three years to produce so there was no guarantee that it would come out while they were still in school and they wanted their signature song to make it on the album. But the next year the kodon CD came out again and then they chose "Kiss Me in Space," a song that always makes me happy.

Steve was my fiction editor for kodon, and he went on to marry me. His roommate Matt engineered the sound on the CD and went on to work for Big Idea for awhile. So I think we can conclude that pretty much anyone who worked under me at kodon went on to unparalleled success. I have that effect on people.

I'm not finding a direct Danielson or Detholz thread, but what a fun old thread to dig up. I mean, we've even got JRobert and Amanda Caldwell captured in time and space, right here on this thread. It just doesn't get any better.

And look at what I wrote three years ago:

Detholz was utterly awesome. I am talking the new Danielson experience of Cornerstone.

How utterly cool that I chose those bands to compare, becaue I am holding in my fingers TWO tickets to see both of these awesome acts on Thursday night, right here in Chicagoland. I also have a babysitter set in stone. This is really going to happen, and my GAL couldn't be more excited.

I still don't get The Detholz, but I am salivating to experience them again. And Danielson? What else can we say? Here is a man who dresses up as a tree.

I am stoked out of my gourd.

-s.

PS This almost makes up for the brokers' pricing of Radiohead tickets. :o

Edited by stef