one more C-stone mention

Persona

The Benjamin Gate was also a great experience for the more praise-oriented, alterna-music genre. Kinda like Delirious but a lot more fun. I'm going to try to get the student ministry that my wife works with hooked on these guys. They had a very tiny female lead singer who just belted it out, and she was very cool. She didn't have to come across in a weird way, the way man chick singers think they have to be to get attention (usually using the sex sells approach). She was more like a girl you would meet at a Vineyard church who really loves singing about God -- but she might also be the most popular girl in school. Kara and i both commented that we thought this band and their lead singer were a great experience, but probably more geared toward high school kids than anyone else. Just thought they also deserved a mention, maybe as the third best act at C-stone.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Yeah, their lead singer has a knockout voice, doesn't she? It almost makes me sad they're breaking up at the end of the year.

...but not quite; their sound borrows way too much from U2 and Garbage. There's not an interesting idea to be found on their Contact album. (And probablly not on their debut, though I only heard it a couple of times, and that was a couple of years ago).

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

...She didn't have to come across in a weird way, the way man chick singers think they have to be to get attention...

I have no idea what i was trying to say here, but i guarantee -- it wasn't that.

Yeah, their lead singer has a knockout voice, doesn't she? It almost makes me sad they're breaking up at the end of the year.

You've got to be kidding me. The one band that i finally find that i could introduce to my youth group kids but still wouldn't be embarrassed if one from my own crowd caught me at their show?! Figures.

How can a band that's done so well break up after only two CDs?

...but not quite; their sound borrows way too much from U2 and Garbage. There's not an interesting idea to be found on their Contact album. (And probablly not on their debut, though I only heard it a couple of times, and that was a couple of years ago).

I haven't listened to their records too much. I have heard their two hits and thought they were pretty distinct. ("Lift me up" and... can't remember the one from the first CD). I don't think they borrow from U2 or Garbage any more than anyone else. They're much more poppy than either of those two bands.

Any info on why they're breaking up and whether the lead singer is going to continue in music?

-s.

stef:

Any info on why they're breaking up and whether the lead singer is going to continue in music?

They're breaking up because she's marrying Jeremy Camp and wants to be a housewife.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Since you know the name of the guy she's marrying i take it he's in the band?

I'm completely flabbergasted at the fact that they're breaking up so quickly. After seeing them live i definitely would have gone again and seen a whole concert (we were only in there for maybe four songs.)

I'm crestfallen. (Russell, does it work here or should i save it for live conversation?)

-s.

Nope. He's a CCM singer/songwriter. I haven't heard any of his music though...

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Perhap another Glassbyrd in the making.

Hey, now there's a band that deserves a thread of it's own. Maybe tomorrow.

-s.

That other song came to me today. It's "All Over me." I think that one and "Lift Me Up" sound a lot more like The Benjamin Gate than U2 or Garbage.

-s.