Sign in to follow this  
Phantom_of_the_Forum

Worst Monday Night Football ever

Anyone see the Monday Night Steeler/Fins slop fest last night?

Game should have moved or rescheduled. Not only did it bore to tears (I did not watch the whole game) but I agree with the commentator who said it was also dangerous. :sleeping: I think it was a bad choice to play it under those conditions.

Sub question:

Who think the Pat's will go undefeated this year?

I think they will. Even though Philly scared them on Sunday, 3 out of their last 5 games are at home with the only realy challenge being the last game at the Giants. Once they get to the postseason, that is where Brady really shines. Dependent upon, of course, if they don't sit everyone down the last couple games.

Game should have moved or rescheduled. Not only did it bore to tears (I did not watch the whole game) but I agree with the commentator who said it was also dangerous. :sleeping: I think it was a bad choice to play it under those conditions.

Whaa...? Football games aren't canceled because of a little bad weather. Natural disasters, maybe. Katrina moved some Saints games out of town, and the San Diego fires threatened to move a Chargers game. In general, though, the all-weather, game-must-go-on ethic is one of the few remaining things that make the occasional NFL game worth watching. Football is a dangerous brutal violent bloody sport no matter what the field conditions are.

And the Dolphins deserved to lose. They could've won 6-3 but for some really stupid coaching decisions.

As for the Pats, they just barely escaped losing to a struggling team led by a backup quarterback, so who knows?

In general, though, the all-weather, game-must-go-on ethic is one of the few remaining things that make the occasional NFL game worth watching. Football is a dangerous brutal violent bloody sport no matter what the field conditions are.

So I guess playing baseball on astro turf is still a good idea, eh. ;)

That field was in un-playable condition period and both teams are lucky there was not serious injuries all over the place. That field directly contributed to the game being completely boring and not worth watching at all.

200 pound guys smashing into each other is enough - they don't need to add a bog into the equation. With the amount of money those guys are payed I would think the owners would be all over protecting their investment and not jeopardizing them needlessly.

I mean, after all, it is still just a game and not worth someones long-term health.

As for the Pats, they just barely escaped losing to a struggling team led by a backup quarterback, so who knows?

That was probably their one "off" game. All though it would be great to watch the Dolphins steal the win in a few weeks. :lol:

I didn't watch the game, but in general, I'd agree with MrMando that you play football in the weather you get -- unless you're talking about lightning, tornado, etc. It requires a different game plan, but that adds to the game when you have to play even if your strengths are neutralized. This is why domed stadia are abominations -- play the game outside in crummy weather.

So I guess playing baseball on astro turf is still a good idea, eh. ;)

Have you been to Safeco Field yet? These retractable-roof stadiums are really something else. I'm more of a baseball fan than a football fan, personally.

That field was in un-playable condition period and both teams are lucky there was not serious injuries all over the place. That field directly contributed to the game being completely boring and not worth watching at all.

That depends on what you find interesting to watch. I'm bored by football unless it's being played in extreme conditions.

200 pound guys smashing into each other is enough - they don't need to add a bog into the equation. With the amount of money those guys are payed I would think the owners would be all over protecting their investment and not jeopardizing them needlessly.

You're suggesting that football move toward more of a baseball ethos. I'm not sure most NFL fans would welcome that. The protect-your-investment mentality can go too far ... that's how we got a Major League All-Star game that ended in a tie, for crying out loud!

Do you have stats to show that football injuries occur more often in bad-weather games? I know it seems logical that they should, but I am not sure that it's true.

I mean, after all, it is still just a game and not worth someones long-term health.

But again, that's true no matter what the field conditions are. Playing football is like getting beaten to death in slow motion, day after day, year after year. Do you have any idea what the life expectancy of your average NFL player is?

So if guys are willing to trade years of their lives to play this game in good weather, they ought to be willing to do it in bad weather. It's like smoking -- if you're addicted to nicotine, when it's time for your break you go outside and puff a few minutes off your life, rain or shine.

That was probably their one "off" game. All though it would be great to watch the Dolphins steal the win in a few weeks. :lol:

Wouldn't it, though? If they have terrible field conditions, and go ahead and kick those field goals instead of passing on fourth-and-12, they just might pull it out.

Do you have stats to show that football injuries occur more often in bad-weather games?

I've never seen any stats on this, but I've played a ton of football (in pads and without pads) and in some appalling mudbaths and snowfields. In my experience, injuries do not happen more frequently in poor; if anything, there are fewer injuries because everyone's moving slower. By the fourth quarter, everyone's just exhausted, as everything takes about three times as much energy as possible.

The one exception is groin pulls. Those happen a lot more frequently. But no one ever died from a groin pull.

If the NFL (or the Steelers) started making a habit of such poor field prep/management, the players ought to strike, though. That was pretty unforgivable.

As a football fan, though, I loved the game. Historic.

Have you been to Safeco Field yet? These retractable-roof stadiums are really something else. I'm more of a baseball fan than a football fan, personally.

I have not been since I've moved back here. Enron now Minute Maid Park in Houston was a retractable-roof and it really made for some nice Astro games. And yeah, I'm more of a baseball fan myself.

that's how we got a Major League All-Star game that ended in a tie, for crying out loud!

Yeah, that was pretty pathetic ...

Do you have stats to show that football injuries occur more often in bad-weather games? I know it seems logical that they should, but I am not sure that it's true.

No, not really. I just remember seeing the ball, on a punt, hit the ground and bury half the ball in mud. I just saw that being someones ankle and having it snap like a twig, a-la Joe Thiesman. Yikes!!! :(

Do you have any idea what the life expectancy of your average NFL player is?

I did a quick search and Michael Arnold Glueck, M.D says "It is not a widely disseminated, downloaded or discussed fact that the average life expectancy for all pro football players, including all positions and backgrounds, is 55 years. Several insurance carriers say it is 51 years." I can believe that.

As a football fan, though, I loved the game. Historic.

You know, from that point of view I can see how it could have been a compelling game. I can hear the NFL Films Announcer now: "In ankle deep mud on the flooded swamp of Pittsburg, the Steelers and Dolphins faced off in an epic battle..."

That was a hard game to watch. Everybody looked miserable.

I really want to be sympathetic to Ricky Williams. His first carry showed some promise. He did get a first down. The animosity directed towards him by the announcers (one in particular) and the Steelers was tough. I wouldn't be surprised if Dolphins were intentionally not blocking for him.

That "accidental step" looked pretty blatant to me. I believe the defender changed direction to step on Williams, either to inflict pain or keep him from attempting to recover the ball, or both.

The hits with intent to injure have, in my opinion, really gotten out of control. It is a tough game, I hate to see people hurt. Weather and injuries are part of the variables you accept with the game.

Ricky Williams is only saved from complete humiliation by the fact that Ryan Leaf showed up in the NFL for a period of time.

Edited by mumbleypeg

And the Patriots are only going to get .... BETTER! :shock:

As I was listening to local sport radio on the way to work this morning, the morning host reminded us that the 49's traded their 2008 first round draft pick to the Patriots for their #28 first round pick last draft.

So, depending on how the draw goes, the Pats could pick #1 or #2 in the next draft. Holy Smokes ...