The Passion of the Baseball

• 2 weeks later...

Nice connection there. I missed that, though Olberman carried it live. As a good citizen of Detroit, I always take comfort in the travails of all teams Chicago, but I do wonder what excorcism we here must do to rid ourselves of "The Curse of the Bobbino".

It was 1957 and the Lions were well on their way to avanging their having been crushed in the previous Title Game at the hands of the Browns. Then the great Bobby Layne (SI some years back considered him the toughest "skill position" player ever) went down with a broken leg. With their backup Tobin Rote, the Lions went on to win the Championship 55-14 in a rematch with the Browns.

Turning training camp in '58, The Lions traded Layne to Pittsburg and went with the Rote. When Layne heard about it, he is said to have claimed that they ccouldn't win without him and would NEVER again win without him. Since then, the Detroit Lions have won only ONE post season game (against Dallas in '91).

My solution: Throwback uniforms all season, not just on Thanksgiving. Bobby Layne as honorary co-captain emeritus and nobody wears #22 (I think it's retired), BUT a #22 jersey is draped over the senior co-captain's shoulder every time he goes to the 50 yardline to confer with the refs and enemy captains all season. Team to pay any fines if the extra uniform is against the rules. OH, and everybody has a #22 on his shoulder patch on their uniform.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Blowing up the baseball was for the tourists. The true fan has seen too much to mock the powers with such glib certainties. We all know in our hearts the Curse is much bigger than poor Bartman, the mysteries too deep to ponder, let alone vanquish, in a carnivalesque publicity stunt. There are some things with which man was not meant to meddle... Much more edifying, however, and equally mysterious to ponder, is the only force in baseball as strong as the Curse: the Cub fans' unvanquishable hope. I speak as One Who Was There -- on Waveland Avenue, during the Eighth inning of Game Six -- and yet I can't shake the feeling: This Could Be The Year...!! And it has nothing to do with blowing up the Bartman ball. It is, I must confess, the exact same feeling I've had every Spring for my entire life. (And only slightly affected by the knowledge that for the first time the Vegas oddsmakers agree.)

Sheesh. Cubs fans. BTW, I'm married to one.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

My brother's a RedSox fan - they're just as pathetic. Dodger fans aren't pathetic, but I fear the Dodgers will be this year.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I started rooting for the Braves before Aaron had 500 dings. Despite what my friends think, I've paid my own dues (look 'em up in the '70's and early '80's). Sometimes I think I still pay them, the way they swoon in October.

Darrell, did you read Moneyball? It has led me to ignore the DH and root for the A's.

Haven't read it, but know the gist. I'd hate to be in a fantasy league with Billy Beane. Apparently you are an other who believes the DH is an abomination. The A's could have trouble with the Halos this year. They may have had the best off season in MLB: Vlad + boosted pitching.

-from the film
Armin

Last year was a down for the A's. Others are starting to use a similar system with more money to spend, so I would not doubt your contention. OTOH, the most unremarked rule of Beane's is that his job now is to survive 'til the trade deadline. His trades in July will see him through the rest of the season (their won-lost is always better after the break than before). I want to see what August brings for them.

DH an abomination, you bet! Nine guys play, nine guys bat. Most pitchers were good to great outfielders on off days with batting prowess before pro coaching weened it out. That could easily change.

• 5 years later...
Darrell, did you read Moneyball? It has led me to ignore the DH and root for the A's.

I finished it a few weeks ago. It was slated to be a movie with Brad Pitt, directed by Steven Soderberg. But L.A. Times reports today that it's not going to happen. Can't say I thought it would make much of a movie.

-from the film
Armin