Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

World of Warcraft

I just received this inquiry:

I would like to obtain information/reviews of the game, World of Warcraft. Our adult son plays it on the internet and if it is a game to be concerned about, I would like to offer him some information to read. Thank you.

I have no knowledge of this game. Can anybody help me out or point me to a good resource?

Well, it's a fantasy role-playing game in the same vein as Dungeons & Dragons, which means that it's full of stuff about magic, sorcerors, and whatnot. Which may or may not be something they're concerned about. And there are plenty of resources available that talk about that stuff, esp. from a Christian context. (Though in my experience, they're pretty alarmist.)

I'd tell them to start with the game's official website, read through documentation, and whatnot. You'll find plenty of information there about the game's content.

I don't play WoW myself, though several of my co-workers are avid players. From what I can tell, the biggest "danger" is the way in which it can dominate someone's time. I'm sure that if you want to become really paranoid about WoW, you can find all manner of horror stories about folks who became obsessed with WoW, neglected friends and family in lieu WoW, etc.

Ironically, one of WoW's greatest strengths -- its massive social networking abilities, which allow players from all over the world to converse and work together -- is also one of its greatest points of concern, as it could cause some folks to "unplug" from the real world around them in favor of the online world. However, I don't think this is unique to WoW -- you run the same danger with any sort of online, virtual community (even A&F).

I've not played the game, Jeffrey, but know some folks that do. In my opinion, it's no better or worse than most other games. Like video games in general, it's not uncommon to get drawn in.

The Warcraft setting is similar to some of the other generic post-Tolkien fantasy variety. There's some dark humor in it from what I've seen (which is occasionally out-of-place), but the game isn't like, oh, that one game where you have to murder prison inmates.

My two cents? It's also their adult son. I know parents are parents their entire life, but I wonder if they would also e-mail questions about concerns they have with their ADULT son renting R-rated movies.

From what I can tell, the biggest "danger" is the way in which it can dominate someone's time. I'm sure that if you want to become really paranoid about WoW, you can find all manner of horror stories about folks who became obsessed with WoW, neglected friends and family in lieu WoW, etc.

Gonna link back to M. Leary's post in the Neal Stephenson thread in response to that. There's voluntary addiction, then there's forced labor.