Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Steve Taylor

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

There was an article on the CCM website that was entitled "26 Questions with Steve Taylor."

Couple of interesting tidbits:

...Taylor is now focused on the film industry (as a director/producer) with production underway on his first project titled Second Chance.

26. Coming attraction

"It

Edited by Clint M

Posted · Report post

I'll believe Steve Taylor has really made his first movie when it actually gets released. I interviewed him back in 1997, when he had just formed Squint and he was talking about making a film in the immediate future, in addition to releasing albums by Sixpence etc.

Posted · Report post

Yep. Back at C'stone in '97, when I was still running STHQ and had a sign that said "Steve Taylor Campaign Headquarters" on our tent, Steve left me a signed Saint Gimp balloon while I was out and about.

I have as much hope for an ST movie as a new ST album.

Dale

Posted · Report post

Yeah, he's all talk and little action, but just look at that list of favorite films. The guy's got taste!

Posted · Report post

Yeah, he has excellent taste but he should stick to only mentioning titles of movies that have actually been made. I have heard about his Saint Gimp movie for years (seems like a decade).

Posted · Report post

asher wrote:

: I have heard about his Saint Gimp movie for years (seems like a decade).

Well, seven years is almost there, yeah. smile.gif

Though I note that the title of his current film project is listed above as "Second Chance". Does this mean Saint Gimp is toast? Or is it just re-titled?

Posted · Report post

I was under the impression that it was retitled but I would like to know if that is indeed true.

Wasn't the original title for Saint Gimp, The Live and Times of Saint Gimp?

Posted · Report post

For a more detailed history of what happened with Saint Gimp, etc, check back to the transcript from Steve Taylor's July press conference at Cornerstone, posted here.

Posted · Report post

Tootsie?

Posted · Report post

Tootsie?

Eh, he wrote a song called I Blew Up The Clinic Real Good. I can believe that he liked Tootsie.

On a side note, if anyone has the video Now The Truth Can Be Told, a couple of his student films are on that. Interesting work, but not his best.

(Note to self: Get Steve Taylor videos transferred to DVD for safekeeping...)

Posted · Report post

Clint M wrote:

: On a side note, if anyone has the video Now The Truth Can Be Told, a

: couple of his student films are on that. Interesting work, but not his best.

What IS his best, I wonder. Apart from the two student films, and the occasional music video (most of which suffer from low budgets), and his underwhelming hour-long Down Under the Big Top video with the Newsboys, what has he done that would give those-of-us-who-hope-for-great-things-from-his-feature-film reason to keep on hoping?

: (Note to self: Get Steve Taylor videos transferred to DVD for safekeeping...)

I think someone on the ST listserv is working on something like that. Me, I can't help thinking that, if someone took the proper time and care with this project, and if someone took advantage of 'seamless branching', you could re-issue ALL of Taylor's video releases on a single disc.

Posted · Report post

What IS his best, I wonder. Apart from the two student films, and the occasional music video (most of which suffer from low budgets), and his underwhelming hour-long Down Under the Big Top video with the Newsboys, what has he done that would give those-of-us-who-hope-for-great-things-from-his-feature-film reason to keep on hoping?

True. I think he might surprise us. Maybe.

I think someone on the ST listserv is working on something like that. Me, I can't help thinking that, if someone took the proper time and care with this project, and if someone took advantage of 'seamless branching', you could re-issue ALL of Taylor's video releases on a single disc.

I'd like to see something along the lines of the Criterion's Beastie Boys Anthology. Or SOMETHING. I did find it interesting in that session that Jeffery posted that Taylor essentially "authorized" people to download his old albums. I'd like to see at least one more release of all of his work in the next few years.

Posted · Report post

: What IS his best, I wonder. Apart from the two student films, and the

: occasional music video (most of which suffer from low budgets), and his

: underwhelming hour-long Down Under the Big Top video with

: the Newsboys...

I don't see DUtBP as underwhelming; I see it more as, um, whelming. There are funny bits, and there are stupid bits, and overall if I saw it today (I haven't seen it since giving out grades, I think) I'd probably give it a B or B-.

: ...what has he done that would give those-of-us-who-hope-for-great-

: things-from-his-feature-film reason to keep on hoping?

Oh. That would be his video for Liver's "On the Fritz," which is by a factor of at least three the best Christian music video of all time[1]. It echoes the lyrics without specifically following them, it uses a particular Bible incident to haunting (and thematic) effect, it's poignant when it needs to be poignant, it's crazed when it needs to be crazed, and it's one of the few music videos I've ever seen this side of Michel Gondry that demands multiple viewings. It is that, and pretty much only that, which gives me hope.

Dale

---

1 Far behind, but completing the top five: ST's video for the Newsboys' "Shine," ST's video for Out of the Grey's "Gravity" (for the last image more than anything else), the Danielson Famile's "Rubbernecker," and Hocus Pick's "I'm So Happy."

Posted · Report post

M. Dale Prins wrote:

: Oh. That would be his video for Liver's "On the Fritz," which is by a factor

: of at least three the best Christian music video of all time[1].

Hmmm, I wonder if it can overcome the ill-advised grunging of the music.

: It is that, and pretty much only that, which gives me hope.

Ah.

Posted · Report post

: Hmmm, I wonder if it can overcome the ill-advised grunging of the

: music.

In my mind, the video makes the grunging make much more sense, particularly regarding the song's frantic conclusion.

Dale

Posted · Report post

For a more detailed history of what happened with Saint Gimp, etc, check back to the transcript from Steve Taylor's July press conference at Cornerstone, posted here.

Man - what a great piece. Thanks for posting that!

And Down Under the Big Top was a bit campy, but it avoided being totally cheesy by not taking itself too seriously -- as when Taylor appeared on camera with ruby slippers, talking about respecting himself as an artist. It made quite a few runs through our VCR when it first came out.

Steve is an original, one of the true creative geniuses working in the Christian industry. I wish there were more like him.

Posted · Report post

Hmmm, I wonder if it can overcome the ill-advised grunging of the music.

Since the "grunging" version arrived, I've accepted no substitutes. I much prefer rock-n-roll Steve Taylor to 80's pop Steve Taylor, and this song roars when it's backed by those guitars. Live, it's a rush.

Posted · Report post

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: Since the "grunging" version arrived, I've accepted no substitutes.

But dude, the "grunged" version IS a substitute!

: I much prefer rock-n-roll Steve Taylor to 80's pop Steve Taylor, and this

: song roars when it's backed by those guitars. Live, it's a rush.

I saw Steve perform this song live in 1985 and in 1995. I was bored in 1995. I think, in my review of that concert, I even said something about checking my watch.

Posted · Report post

But dude, the "grunged" version IS a substitute!

Well, that's if you have the philosophy that the first recorded instance of the song IS THE SONG. I think of songs as organic, flexible, and growing, maturing even after they've first been recorded. I remember Sting talking about how the first recording of a song is just a sort of memento, a photograph of the song in its early stages, and the songs continue to grow and change and mature, like good wine, as he performs them through the years. Auden revised his poems after their first publication, irritating his critics, but improving on the work.

I think "On the Fritz" has matured and found a better package than the funky 80s pop package. (It always was inclined to be a rock and roll song; even on that album, it leaned that direction.)

Posted · Report post

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: : But dude, the "grunged" version IS a substitute!

:

: Well, that's if you have the philosophy that the first recorded instance of

: the song IS THE SONG.

Well, it helps that the original version is better, too.

Posted · Report post

Hmmm, should we be concerned?

Michael W. Smith tells the February 28 Billboard that he will be appearing in The Second Chance: "It's about an associate pastor named Ethan in a suburban church. Ethan ends up being sent to an inner city church. He does not want to go, but he goes. He falls in love with the people and it changes his life. Steve Taylor, Ben Pearson and Chip Arnold wrote it."

Posted · Report post

Um, so I'm all about MWS' music, esp. c. 1990, but there is no doubt in my mind that if this comes to fruition, he will prove to be the world's worst actor.

Dale

Posted · Report post

MWS c. 1990 would be the "i 2 Eye" record, yes? What was so great about that one?

IMHO MWS did exactly one decent recording: "The Big Picture." It was the high-water mark of the '80s avant-garde movement in CCM. It's all been downhill since then.

For some reason "The Big Picture" always put me to sleep when I listened to it back in college, but I still liked it...

Posted · Report post

MWS c. 1990 would be the \"i 2 Eye\" record, yes? What was so great about that one?  

IMHO MWS did exactly one decent recording: \"The Big Picture.\" It was the high-water mark of the '80s avant-garde movement in CCM. It's all been downhill since then.

My thought's exactly. Unless you consider Ms. Phillips' The Turning avant-garde. I still have The Big Picture on vinyl and CD, and I'm still impressed with the production of the thing, even if the lyrics are at times wince-worthy. "Wired for Sound" is about as good as big Christian pop ever got.

Posted · Report post

Jeffrey Overstreet:

: I still have The Big Picture on vinyl and CD, and I'm still impressed with

: the production of the thing, even if the lyrics are at times wince-worthy.

Hmmm, I remember a friend of mine in Bible school ('87-'88 ) complaining that The Big Picture was just "one big song" -- it was over-produced, there was not enough variation in the music, etc. It's been years since I've listened to it myself, though. (The friend in question is the guy who introduced me to the Art of Noise, for whatever that's worth.)