opus

What videogames have you been playing recently?

125 posts in this topic

Forgot about this thread. I am halfway through Mass Effect 2, and like it a lot.

Can anyone recommend good pc game titles from this last year?

Leary, I am currently playing through indie horror gem Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I am loving it.

There are some hilarious YouTube videos, including one with more than one million views, showing ordinary people reacting to this game.

It hasn't come out on CD yet, you have to download it through Steam.

P.S. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2. I had one significant complaint though-- have you played Jacob's loyalty mission yet?

Edited by David Smedberg

Leary, I am currently playing through indie horror gem Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I am loving it.

I was going to recommend this too, David!

P.S. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2. I had one significant complaint though-- have you played Jacob's loyalty mission yet?

Yes, I have.

There have been several times where I have been forced into moral choices I would have made differently given more options, especially in the side missions.

There have been several times where I have been forced into moral choices I would have made differently given more options, especially in the side missions.

Although there were many times I wished I had another option, this mission was the only one where I felt what I was doing was actively immoral... I keep thinking of the assault on the Statue of Liberty in Deus Ex and then I started wishing Mass Effect 2 would give me a tranq dart crossbow B)

My thoughts about ME2 have become more mixed as I've thought about it more. It's a very slick production and that automatically makes me cautious about it--maybe unfairly. It is an example of how some truly great parts can come together to make a pretty darn good--but not great-game.

Although there were many times I wished I had another option, this mission was the only one where I felt what I was doing was actively immoral... I keep thinking of the assault on the Statue of Liberty in Deus Ex and then I started wishing Mass Effect 2 would give me a tranq dart crossbow B)

Could you give an example of what you're talking about. It's been a long time since I've played Mass Effect 2, so my recollection of Jacob's loyalty mission is a little fuzzy. I will say, though, that the quandaries brought up by both Mordin Solus' and Legion's missions actually caused me to shut off my Xbox 360 and walk around so that I could think them through. I've posted a few thoughts in this (spoiler-filled) blog entry.

The last game I bought was Crackdown 2. I played the first one feverishly...but while I loved re-entering the Crackdown world, the game feels more like an add on to the first. Crackdown 1.5. Yeah, they added mutants and a new villain...but you are either jumping into pits to try and take out mutants with the games secret weapon or fighting faceless "cell drones"... no big bosses...and it gets repetitive to the point that when I put the game in, I just jump around the city and explore...I haven't even made any solid attempt to complete the story the last several times I put the game in.

I keep looking at Borderlands...and I picked of the first Gears of War last night (I found it really frustrating a few years ago when I was new to gaming and sold it...turns out Target is selling the Complete Edition-all the maps and extras- for $5).

I keep looking at Borderlands...and I picked of the first Gears of War last night (I found it really frustrating a few years ago when I was new to gaming and sold it...turns out Target is selling the Complete Edition-all the maps and extras- for $5).

I looked at Borderlands for a while, but the trailers turned me off — stupid sense of humor, etc. etc. I bought the game on a lark through a Steam sale, and I wish I would've picked up the complete edition. I was quite wrong about the game. The cell-shaded art is wonderful, and it's a blast to play. The RPG elements are tightly woven in, and it's pretty challenging. And the humor? Not as lame as I feared. In a way, it's everything I wanted Hellgate: London to be.

Cool...I got some belated Christmas money...I might pick up Borderlands Game of the Year Edition this week. Glad to hear it was an enjoyable game.

Cool...I got some belated Christmas money...I might pick up Borderlands Game of the Year Edition this week. Glad to hear it was an enjoyable game.

I'd make sure to check out some reviews or something first (if you haven't already) - as much as I am enjoying it, I realize some people might HATE it.

Could you give an example of what you're talking about. It's been a long time since I've played Mass Effect 2, so my recollection of Jacob's loyalty mission is a little fuzzy. I will say, though, that the quandaries brought up by both Mordin Solus' and Legion's missions actually caused me to shut off my Xbox 360 and walk around so that I could think them through. I've posted a few thoughts in this (spoiler-filled) blog entry.

SPOILERS

When you play Jacob's loyalty mission, you encounter people who have lost their minds due to eating bad food, and they try to kill you--first on their own and then at the instigation of Jacob's father. However, the game makes it clear that they have a strong chance to recover if they are given proper treatment. So--here I am, a fully-equipped warrior with a whole tech team at my disposal, and I can't find a way to take these simpletons down without killing them?!

It's reflexive shoot-and-ask-questions-later gaming that I expect from stupider games, but not this one.

I was actually a bit disappointed in Mordin's loyalty mission, because it had a chance to really examine the possibility that even killing krogan in the womb is morally reprehensible--but it never had the cojones to clarify what exactly the genophage does biologically.

I'd make sure to check out some reviews or something first (if you haven't already) - as much as I am enjoying it, I realize some people might HATE it.

The bad reviews I am seeing pretty much are people upset that the GOTY edition has tokens to get the additional content. :)

Any A&F'ers playing Black Ops?

I've never been a fan of FPS games, but my older kids got the title at Christmas and I eventually got roped into playing with them. The single player Campaigns are actually really hairy and a lot of fun, but the Multiplayer is off the charts. I'm having to put some serious time sanctions on the game during their after school hours because it's just so addictive.

Any A&F'ers playing Black Ops?

I haven't, but I believe A&F user theoddone33 worked on the game. It looks good, but I'm just waiting for it to drop in price a bit.

Same here...plus I am not through Modern Warfare 2 yet either.

What I'm playing now:

-Borderlands — Kind of an update on the Diablo game model (kill stuff, loot, etc.), it's still working for me. In fact, this game works where something similar like Hellgate: London fails. You're trying to find 'the Vault' on an alien planet. Lots of shooting results. The plot is pretty paper thin and the non-stop drab exterior locations get kind of old, but those concerns go out the window when I realize the mutant slug I just ran over dropped a shotgun that shoots waves of acid.

-Fallout 3 — I'm a Fallout fan from way back (played through the first two four and seven times, respectively). I waited a while to get this one; I wanted the price point to drop, and I also upgraded my processor over the summer so it can handle cool games now. Loving it so far...the change of location (from the US west to the DC area) was a nice move, and it has the same dark humor and worldbuilding that I love from the first two, just with the Oblivion engine.

I also set aside a few games during the summer, but I'm going to pick up where I left off:

-Mass Effect — A great sci-fi RPG discussed at great length on A&F. I'm excited to start playing this again; I didn't get too far in, but I still remember most of the plot elements. BioWare knows what's up.

-Elder Scrolls: Oblivion — Though I never got into the Elder Scrolls games, I'd heard enough about the sandbox aspects of this game that I HAD to get it. It's awesome! And tough. I feel like my character is advancing his skills so fast that I can't catch up in other areas.

I was playing New Vegas until the fall semester started. I didn't finish the game but I almost maxed out the character's levels. Just as good as its predecessor and I like the companion system a lot more.

-Elder Scrolls: Oblivion — Though I never got into the Elder Scrolls games, I'd heard enough about the sandbox aspects of this game that I HAD to get it. It's awesome! And tough. I feel like my character is advancing his skills so fast that I can't catch up in other areas.

I picked up a used copy of this with some birthday money, but really, it's just to kill time until Dragon Age 2 comes out.

I'm about 20 hours into Dragon Age 2 and so far, I've been pretty underwhelmed. I agree with nearly every criticism in Kirk Hamilton's review:

When it comes down to it, Dragon Age 2 simply feels flat, unfinished and short on soul. In many ways it combines the advanced graphics of a current-generation videogame with the tedious inconsequentiality a casual Facebook title, and it seems expressly designed both to be accessible to newcomers and to easily accommodate post-release downloadable content. Its main storyline is a sloppily scripted tease for a grander tale that has yet to be told, and its side stories feel empty and pointless.

Ah well... I guess there's always Mass Effect 3.

I'm about 20 hours into Dragon Age 2 and so far, I've been pretty underwhelmed. I agree with nearly every criticism in Kirk Hamilton's review:

The AV Club had a surprisingly positive review (or not surprising, since their game reviews are often counter to public opinion). I have no opinion, since I've not played either Dragon Age game, but I am a BioWare fan in general. The comments on the review are the best part, though, and really worth a read; many posters talk at length about the pros and (mostly) cons of DA 2, and it's pretty engaging.

This is going to sound goofball, but bear with me.

I am an avid Fantasy Baseball player (ESPN head to head). I play Fantasy Football every year as well, but I am really captivated by FB. This last year I was quite successful at fantasy sports. Here is how it works for me, which is related to this thread:

1. I love FB because it is the best way I know of to keep up with the daily minutiea of the baseball season. I love all these arcane stats and projections. But this is because I embrace every baseball season like a new epic story, in which the narrative is the progression of team statistics. There are injuries, slumps, streaks, internecine contract disputes and trades. Beneath the pinstripe veneer of America's favorite pastime is an annual Shakespearean drama.

2. So FB to me is very much like any RPG. I have a select squad of characters that each have special talents and roles. There are times in which characters need to be replaced, because somewhere along this year's baseball story... a new hero appears! I daily orchestrate their positioning to achieve maximum effect against a number of teams with different skill sets. Think of other teams like bosses with unique characteristics. That is how I roll.

3. So the point is, I play FB very much like I play any other RPG. Let's see if it works again this year.

Edited by M. Leary

3. So the point is, I play FB very much like I play any other RPG. Let's see if it works again this year.

This reminds me of a miniatures wargame, even.

Your "confession" reminds me of this Penny Arcade strip. Now, if only I could convince my friends, co-workers, etc. that there's very little difference between sports fans and "true" nerds.

Your "confession" reminds me of this Penny Arcade strip. Now, if only I could convince my friends, co-workers, etc. that there's very little difference between sports fans and "true" nerds.

There are a group of students at Geneva who regularly LARP outside, and they're often treated terribly by the sports fanatics on campus. The irony.