Hancock

I had a pretty good day. There was a big neighborhood game of baseball in my backyard today. I finally fixed my washing machine. Why am I in such a bad mood?

Because I wasted my afternoon seeing Hancock.

I am disappointed in myself for going to this movie. I typically have some sense of what I'm getting into. I've either heard a buzz or I've seen the critics response or a friend has recommended it. Here I knew nothing except the trailer. I went to see Wanted, but I was late for that and decided to see Hancock instead.

There are so many things wrong with this movie. Do not waste your time.

Very, very interesting.

There are quite a few reviews here and here that stir up wildly varied, even contradictory impressions.

I'm on a rollercoaster here. Trailer? It has me at "Hello." Initial buzz? Made me want to steer clear. Now? I'm to believe that it's either a catastrophe, or a surprisingly brave and unconventional superhero film. The impassioned and opposing views are rekindling my interest in the film.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Okay, at CT Movies' review, there's a photo of Charlize Theron and Will Smith, and the caption reads:

:spoilers:

Show hidden text
Charlize Theron as Hancock's girlfriend, Mary

Um... isn't that a pretty close to a huge spoiler?

Or at least technically inaccurate?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Overstreet wrote:

: Um... isn't that a pretty close to a huge spoiler?

: Or at least technically inaccurate?

The inaccuracy might preclude it being a spoiler, per se, but it certainly tips the reader off to something that no one seeing this film for the first time should be aware of.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

FWIW, Hancock marks the eighth Will Smith movie in a row that has grossed over $100 million -- assuming we don't count his cameo as himself in 2004's Jersey Girl. No other actor has ever achieved this -- assuming we don't count Tom Cruise's cameo as himself in 2002's Austin Powers in Goldmember (which would boost his own track record to eight in a row) or his voice-over narration in 2002's Space Station 3-D (which would cut his track record down to five or six, depending on whether we counted the Austin Powers cameo).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I thought that CT caption was a spoiler, too. Hmmm.

I saw the movie last week, or rather I should say I saw BOTH Hancock movies last week. The first half is a dark comedy bordering on slapstick at times. The second half is a more traditional super hero story that tries to be dramatic and heart-tugging with varying degrees of success. I liked the first half better.

Oh, and you know this movie spent a lot of time in the editing booth, because there are numerous shots from the trailers that did not make it to the final cut.

• 1 year later...
Peter Berg on the sequel/prequel plans.