Sign in to follow this  

TV Show Theme Songs

Why no TV theme songs today? I think the columnist has the answer--today's programmers fear the short-attention span and want to grab and keep the viewer, so the style now is plot-related teaser, series title screen, sometimes with signature music and credits, as brief as possible, then back to plot, without even an ad to allow viewers to escape. It can feel weird. But if you're watching shows on DVD, as many do now, sitting through repeated theme songs, or even theme music, gets old pretty fast. A really well-organized TV DVD episode will have a chapter break right after the theme (if there is one).

But if I had to pick favorite theme songs:

Moonlighting (sung by Al Jarreau)

Firefly theme "The Ballad of Serenity" (written by Joss Whedon, sung by Sonny Rhodes)

"Searchin' My Soul" (Ally McBeal theme, by Vonda Shepard. I got tired of the show pretty fast, but the music was always great)

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I love the theme to The Office (UK) and like the theme to The Office (US).

My favorite theme song... Greatest American Hero or The Gummi Bears. :)

I got all 10 right (but I gotta admit, one was a complete guess).

Greatest American Hero, Barney Miller, Sanford and Son are all time greats. Cheers' song was a great choice. And I liked the way the Cosby Show altered its theme over time with new recordings of the same tune (though the Bobby McFerrin one was the best).

And while I loved the show, I have to say that I hated the theme song they chose for Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.