Sufjan Stevens?!? (update: interesting review)

opus

By the way, Opus... found out that one of my fellow GreenLake Presbyterian churchgoers is YOUR ROOMMATE NATHANIEL. Had a good chat with him on Sunday. He kept talking about his roommate, and calling you by your first name, but it wasn't until he mentioned you had a site called Opuszine that I realized I was having a SMALL WORLD moment.

Hey, he's my RUF intern! smile.gif

I wanted to get lost and love the questions there

Beauty and the truth I could breathe like air

--Sam Phillips

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the album, it is simply: "To the Workers of the Rockford River Valley Region, I Have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament." All the other ultralengthy titles that Pitchfork gave were correct, however.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Update on the cover "controversy"... http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-07/06.shtml

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I know a lot of stuff has been said about this album, but I just got here so...

I think this album distinguishes Sufjan as one of America's best composers.

He really captures the feel of America with words and music. Sometimes in grandiose ambitious sweeps, but even more effectively, in tiny vignettes about the epic quality of individual lives.

Baroque and minimalist.

Bombastic and unsure.

Tender and devistating.

Breath-taking.

I blogged a bit about it yesterday, as my admiration for the album keeps growing. And I mentioned the reviews that have been coming in, which are... well, wow... some of the biggest raves I've read in a long time.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

According to Metacritic, what is the most acclaimed album of the year thus far? [Thanks to Jeffrey's post for the site, although I'm clicking on one more link than he did.]

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Here is a fantastic new interview with Sufjan.  I'm going to assume it was conducted via email because there's no way he could be this articulate face-to-face.  Unless, you know, he's a genius, which is entirely possible.

Actually, the first line of the article says, "I recently caught up with Sufjan Stevens by email...", but I only caught it because I was looking for it! However, your instincts are correct in a sense--I've heard Sufjan speak a number of times, and he is indeed that articulate in person. Also, a genius. A quiet one. The best kind.

I know these have been mentioned in this thread before, but here you go. This site has all 3 of Sufjan's Christmas EPs available for download. The track list is as follows...

Vol. I Hark! Songs for Christmas

01 Silent Night

02 O Come O Come Emmanuel

03 We're Goin' to the Country!

04 Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming

05 It's Christmas! Let's Be Glad

06 Holy, Holy, etc.

07 Amazing Grace

Vol. II Hark! Songs for Christmas

01 Angels We Have Heard On High

02 Put the Lights on the Tree

03 Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

04 I Saw Three Ships

05 Only at Christmas Time

06 Once in David's Royal City

07 Hark! The Herald Angels Sing!

08 What Child Is This Anyway?

09 Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Vol. III Ding! Dong! Songs for Christmas

01 O Come, O Come Emmanual

02 Come On! Let's Boogie to the Elf Dance!

03 We Three Kings of Orient Are

04 O Holy Night

05 That Was the Worst Christmas Ever

06 All the King's Horns

07 Ding! Dong!

08 The Friendly Beasts

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Can still be heard or watched

Just finished listening to it... I love the "stripped down" version of "Chicago" and the rendition of "John Wayne Gacy" had me tearing up. Can't wait to see him in September...

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

By the way, what IS the album title?

Even RS is confused. Their review title says "Illinoise" but the review itself says "Illinois." Others say "Come On Feel the Illinoise."

I think it's Illinois, and if I'm right, somebody needs to correct everyone else.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I believe the official title is Sufjan Stevens Invites You To: Come On Feel The Illinoise. But I think most people refer to it simply as Illinois.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Reminder that Sufjan will be appearing on KCRW this morning.

http://www.kcrw.com/show/mb

Can still be heard or watched

Or downloaded.

I just finished watching the KCRW appearance. The whole show was beautiful, but the additional vocal/trumpet scales at the end of "John Wayne Gacy Jr." and the new outro on "A Good Man Is Hard to Find" were particularly worthwhile.