Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Lamb

Fireproof (2008)

Is it just that Christians are so amazed that fellow Christians made a movie and it wasn't that bad, that they are blinded to it like parents' are blinded to their children's creative output?

It isn't that much worse than a quarter of what makes it on the Sundance and IFC rotations. But I think many Christian's reactions are in parallel the old "love the sinner but hate the sin" adage. "Love the message, but hate the craft."

Brief note on the menu screens for the "special collector's edition" DVD. (Apparently it's got stuff that the regular DVD sold in non-Christian bookstores doesn't have.)

Winston wrote:

: Is it just that Christians are so amazed that fellow Christians made a movie and it wasn't that bad, that they are blinded to it like parents' are blinded to their children's creative output?

Heh. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to put myself in a "parenting" position with regard to this film, but a part of me DOES feel a bit, what's the word, protective, maybe? At any rate, I'm eager to encourage these people to get better and better at what they do. Writing-wise, I think this film is already a step up from their last film, inasmuch as the uplifting payoff is now the direct result of things that the main character does -- he has to WORK at his salvation, and at the salvation of his marriage, instead of just waiting for God to magically make life better for him. And I would hope that the next film would take even MORE steps in that direction.