Sign in to follow this  
Darryl A. Armstrong

Leonard Cohen

Leonard Cohen to tour US and Canada! Via Pitchfork:

"Leonard Cohen will be touring with his band in Canada and [the] U.S. in May and in Europe in the summer. More details will be announced in February." This tour will be Cohen's first in 15 years, according to Mojo. The blog also mentions a new Leonard Cohen album due out later this year.

I wonder if he'll make it to Vegas... Probably not. :(

draper   

My only fear with Leonard Cohen is that he will go on tour and that his band will be an old guy, that has spent the last 35 years playing his Casio in the bowling alley every Friday night.

Edited by mumbleypeg

draper   

I had imagined some kind of kraftwerkesque accompaniment. Something along the lines of Cohen's songs set to Pocket Calculator.

Now...I'm not sure what to think.......sometimes my lack of imagination stuns me.

http://www.philipglass.com/music/recording...okoflonging.php

Book of Longing

A Song Cycle based on the Poetry and Artwork of Leonard Cohen

Music by Philip Glass

Philip Glass/Leonard Cohen

Who does the best version of "Hallelujah"?

VOTE.

You know you love Constantine Maroulis' version. You know you do. Just look at all those comments. Send one of your in own in support of Constantine!

Do it NOW!

Wow, the fact that Constantine Maroulis is mentioned in the same sentence as Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley is really frightening.

VOTE.

You know you love Constantine Maroulis' version. You know you do. Just look at all those comments. Send one of your in own in support of Constantine!

Do it NOW!

Wow, the fact that Constantine Maroulis is mentioned in the same sentence as Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley is really frightening.

How many votes did you cast for Constantine, Andy?

Hey, wait a minute. You're our resident "American Idol" luddite. You're not even supposed to know who Constantine Maroulis is.

EDIT: BTW, I'm really enjoying the PostRock blog, to which I've linked. I was skeptical of the Post rock critics when they pushed out the old regime of music writers at the Post, but one or two of them have grown on me. I can't vouch for their criticism, I'm afraid, but I like their writing styles.

Edited by Christian

VOTE.

Do it NOW!

Hey, wait a minute. You're our resident "American Idol" luddite. You're not even supposed to know who Constantine Maroulis is.

EDIT: BTW, I'm really enjoying the PostRock blog, to which I've linked. I was skeptical of the Post rock critics when they forced out the old regime of music writers, but one or two of them have grown on me. I can't vouch for their criticism, I'm afraid, but I like their writing styles.

Even luddites cannot entirely escape from American Idol exposure. One doesn't have to watch the show (and I haven't) to know about Constantine. And Kelly. And Jennifer. And Ruben. And Clay. And the grey-haired dude who won a year or two ago, and whose name escapes me. Tyler? Taylor? And wasn't there a Bo? The Bo I know played football and baseball, but I don't think he could sing. He'd probably have been a perfect fit for AI (rimshot).

Even luddites cannot entirely escape from American Idol exposure. One doesn't have to watch the show (and I haven't) to know about Constantine. And Kelly. And Jennifer. And Ruben. And Clay. And the grey-haired dude who won a year or two ago, and whose name escapes me. Tyler? Taylor? And wasn't there a Bo? The Bo I know played football and baseball, but I don't think he could sing. He'd probably have been a perfect fit for AI (rimshot).

Be sure to tune in tonight, Andy. A few tweaks -- slightly new opening, and a new "see ya later" song for contestants that get the boot -- are in store. (The new song is Ruben Studdard's version of a Kenny Loggins song.) I'm definitely gonna watch tonight's broadcast ... as soon as I get back from the gym. So I'll probably see the last 20 minutes.

Guest thom_jurek   
Guest thom_jurek
I had imagined some kind of kraftwerkesque accompaniment. Something along the lines of Cohen's songs set to Pocket Calculator.

Now...I'm not sure what to think.......sometimes my lack of imagination stuns me.

http://www.philipglass.com/music/recording...okoflonging.php

Book of Longing

A Song Cycle based on the Poetry and Artwork of Leonard Cohen

Music by Philip Glass

Philip Glass/Leonard Cohen

Being the hard core Cohen fan I am--yes I like his Casiotone records quite a bit-- I had to hear this, so I went out and bought it. It's bloody AWFUL! The sections where he reads his own work with Glass's music are fine, but the godawful classical baritone whose name I can thankfully blank out make me retch. I sold to it some poor unsuspecting soul on Amazon with a warning that it sucked. I have heard some snippets from the warm up for this tour (his voice is not only not pretty, it's frightening, almost beyond the grave at this point). That said, Lenny will take his full band out; you can be sure Julie Chrisensen will be one backing vocalist--as she has been for 20 years--and another singer and a slew of players (you might even get Colin Linden this time out). It will cost a fortune and it will be worth it even if he craoks his way through every song. I saw the last tour and the two before that. The last one was easily the best of the three times I've seen him--of course, it was almost 15 years ago. LOL!

As for Hallelujah? The best cover is a tie between both BUckley's Jeff and Betty(!), Gordon DOwnie of Tragically Hip, John Cale, all for second. The BEST version is Mavis Staples' from the New Orleans Jazz And Heritage Festival two years ago hands down.

Edited by thom_jurek

draper   

Oh sure! pull a Mavis will ya!?!

I was walking through my house last week and heard Hallelujah on TV. I was pleased, even though it was a pretty lukewarm version by the dreadlocked kid on Idol. Then I realized, Jeff Buckley recontextualized it. It is no longer an obscure song or an obscure cover song. I imagine it is now a popular breakup song on campuses all over.

Since I haven't been privileged to hear Mavis, I remain devoted to John Cale's version.

I may have to drag myself out to see Leonard.

Edited by mumbleypeg

BethR   

New article about Cohen & continuing tour, from New Yorker:

Last year, Cohen began a world tour, which will extend through November 13th and include roughly two hundred shows. (He will perform at Madison Square Garden on October 23rd.) Cohen

<!--quoteo(post=169419:date=Mar 11 2008, 03:16 PM:name=Andy Whitman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy Whitman @ Mar 11 2008, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=169418:date=Mar 11 2008, 03:13 PM:name=Christian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Christian @ Mar 11 2008, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://blog.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2008/02/cohen_cale_kd_and_constantine_1.html" target="_blank">Who does the best version of "Hallelujah"?</a>

VOTE.

Do it NOW!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey, wait a minute. You're our resident "American Idol" luddite. You're not even supposed to know who Constantine Maroulis <i>is</i>.

EDIT: BTW, I'm really enjoying the PostRock blog, to which I've linked. I was skeptical of the Post rock critics when they pushed out the old regime of music writers at the Post, but one or two of them have grown on me. I can't vouch for their <i>criticism</i>, I'm afraid, but I like their writing styles.

Lee Dewyze's rendition last night on, you guessed it, "American Idol," has inspired this collection of video-clip performances of the song.

Attica   

A new book just came out about HALLELUJIAH

The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and the Unlikely Ascent of "Hallelujah"

Edited by Attica

Tickets for me and Cindy for the March 22nd show in Atlanta!

boombox.gif <------Me listening to "Everybody Knows" incessantly and wondering if Leonard will sing it on the 22nd.

stereo.gif <-------Me listening to "Democracy is Coming to the U...S...A...." and wondering if it will arrive before or after Leonard arrives in Atlanta on the 22nd.

tired007.gif <-----Me dreaming about Leonard singing "Closing Time"

jazzband.gif <-------Me if there were any Leonard songs on Rock Band

headphones.gif <---Me listening to Bono sing "Tower of Song" with Leonard off the "I'm Your Man" album.

largerockband.gif<-----Me trying to figure out what else I'm going to have to put on my bucket list...

Edited by kenmorefield

Mike_tn   

National Film Board of Canada is putting this at the top of their app's listings today. A 44min music documentary in 1965 visiting his hometown of Montreal.