Website to offer free music

BBBCanada

Story here.

as well as here.

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

I'm still linking to it fine. Anyone else having a problem with that link?

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

Basically, the article is saying that after years of battling illegal downloads that would drive it out of business, the music industry's major corporations--EMI, Universal and Warner, are backing the launch of a free website in which people can download from a catalogue of 25 million songs--apparently, profits from CDs dropped by 10 percent last year as legal downloads failed to generate compensation for it. So in otherwords, as I heard on the radio this morning, basically they are saying, "We give up, we can't fight this anymore." Q-Trax will pay for it is via advertising banners on their website.

Apple which has 5 million songs in their catalogue is resisting this by not allowing this site to become "iPod compatible" in order to protect it's own iPod store (which is kinda lame from a business sense). QTrax chief executive Allan Klepfisz, said, ""People don't want to be illegal, but they do want free music." QTrax claims to carry official releases from nearly every major artist, plus live bootlegs and alternative versions. It seems the one major draw back is that tracks cannot be burned on to CDs.

Here's a link to Qtrax

Brandon

The funny thing about iPod is that my 13 year old says she is able to download music and put it in her iPod catalogue on her home computer and then transfer it to her iPod (maybe she has her iPod set up to recieve mp3s). So I'm not understanding why Apple doesn't want this if people can basically do that anyway.

Brandon

The funny thing about iPod is that my 13 year old says she is able to download music and put it in her iPod catalogue on her home computer and then transfer it to her iPod (maybe she has her iPod set up to recieve mp3s). So I'm not understanding why Apple doesn't want this if people can basically do that anyway.

Your're right. You can usually burn a cd, then rip that same cd into itunes and presto!

Qtrax's free, legal P2P scheme is vaporware for now:

Last night we told you about Qtrax, a new P2P service aimed at combating illicit P2P by offering a legit service that compensates artists and labels via enforced advertising. In that story we briefly noted that Qtrax didn't appear to have all of its ducks in a row: the company was saying that it had signed all four major music labels, when it appeared that they hadn't. At the time it was rather unclear, however, because Qtrax told both Reuters and Wired that it had the necessary signatures... In short, no labels have signed on yet.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Qtrax's free, legal P2P scheme is vaporware for now:

Last night we told you about Qtrax, a new P2P service aimed at combating illicit P2P by offering a legit service that compensates artists and labels via enforced advertising. In that story we briefly noted that Qtrax didn't appear to have all of its ducks in a row: the company was saying that it had signed all four major music labels, when it appeared that they hadn't. At the time it was rather unclear, however, because Qtrax told both Reuters and Wired that it had the necessary signatures... In short, no labels have signed on yet.

Right, exactly. Let's start the party before...oops...the beer buyers and the owners of the condo are a no show not to mention at 65 000 hits per hour, who can get on to download?

Dan Buck said:

Your're right. You can usually burn a cd, then rip that same cd into itunes and presto!

Right, exactly. But the thing is, in many cases you still have to buy the CD. My daughter goes through Limewire, downloads them to the computer and then drags them to her iTunes/iPod catalogue. She says her and all of her friends buy squat. Those are mp3s NOT iPod versions which have a lot better bitrate. So if Apple allows for mp3s (which they do) to be play on your iPod, what is the problem with making QTrax iPod compatible??? Seems whacked to me.

Brandon