Vampire Weekend

Anders

I know. But that name does not do justice to what this band sounds like.

I got it this morning and have been listening to it a couple times and I think the hype is founded. This is solid pop music. Amazing for a first release.

Some have described them as having an Afro-pop beat, and there have been comparisons to Paul Simon's Graceland. They remind me of a band here in Canada from Kingston, ON called Bedouin Soundclash, with a touch of, eep, Maroon 5. But better. Less cloying. More fun. Tracks I've liked a lot so far are "A-Punk" or "I Stand Corrected." Actually, it's all good. Check it out. It will get you through this long cold winter and make you want summer here faster.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I agree. It's a fun album... and for anyone interested in checking it out, streaming here this week.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Actually, Jason, I'm in the same boat. I think it's a solid debut, but the praise it's receiving from critics is exaggerated. A lot of reviews stress how "effortless" this album sounds, but I think it's just a little too lackluster at times; there's no intensity, no sense of drama, and no variation in texture or style on any of these songs, which makes them all have a very similar feel. And, while many critics seem to think the lyrics are "literate" and "writerly," they really don't do much for me. There's a clever turn of phrase here and there, but name-dropping Peter Gabriel doesn't really count as "literate" in my book.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Actually, Jason, I'm in the same boat. I think it's a solid debut, but the praise it's receiving from critics is exaggerated.

Same boat, with Drive By Truckers and Black Mountain water skiing off the back.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 10 months later...