Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Timnus

Beautiful songs

I was listening to my Ipod last night and thinking about songs that I really could only describe as beautiful. I'm including my list but I wanted to hear other people's favorite songs. I'm always looking for new music, especially songs that are really powerful.

Here's my list:

-The Trapeze Swinger by Iron and Wine

-Just Dreamin' by Fred Eaglesmith

-Ariel Ramirez by Richard Buckner

-We Both Go Down Together by the Decemberists

-Lua by Bright Eyes

-A Pirate Looks at Forty (The Jack Johnson Cover)

-Hurt (The Johnny Cash version)

-Hallelujah (really any version but I especially like the Jeff Buckley cover)

-Fly by Nick Drake

Anyways, just some songs that really touch me. Looking forward to hearing everyone else's lists.

Tim

""Human speech is like a cracked pot on which we beat out rhythms for bears to dance to when we are striving to make music that will wring tears from the stars."

-Gustave Flaubert

Recent loves -

- John Smith

Cello Song - Nick Drake (I'm new to Drake, this is the first song of his that I know)

White Daisy Passing - Rocky Votolato

Naked as we came - Iron and Wine

Cold Water - Damien Rice

Young Pilgrims - The Shins

Help me when you're Gone - Starflyer 59

Swimming Pools - Thao (really wish I could find the lyrics for this one)

There are a number of Blonde Redhead songs, but I don't know their names.

I often go back to one of my favorite, most beautifully all-time sad songs, "Don't Leave This Way" by the 77's.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Cold Water - Damien Rice

I love Older Chests on this album, also.

""Human speech is like a cracked pot on which we beat out rhythms for bears to dance to when we are striving to make music that will wring tears from the stars."

-Gustave Flaubert

Yes, just listened to it again with the earbuds on. Those cellos are beautiful. Really, as I said in the very short (and I can't understand why) Damien Rice thread, anything he does turns into magic.

Yes, I am getting softer in my older years. Or at least making more room for the softer. But I still kinda like it when someone walks in for house church and finds Nine Inch Nails and Skinny Puppy on the wall. :)

A couple other "beauties" that I've recently loved -

Mercy Will Prevail - The Choir

O How The Mighty Have Fallen - The Choir (Marc Byrd just makes this band complete)

And a few rediscoveries -

Haiti - Arcade Fire (this was one of the standout songs in one of the most standout shows I've seen, ever, period.)

We Will Not Be Lovers - The Waterboys

These Are The Days - 10,000 Maniacs

And pretty much anything from the Violet Burning's self-titled CD

This is a hard category because there are too many beautiful songs to list.

Edited by stef

I would like to add Coldplay's "Yellow" and "Warning Sign" to the list.

Technically , several of these aren't songs but they are beautiful none the less.

Chopin-Prelude #4 In E Minor, Op. 28/4 my favorite is Claudio Arrau

Diamond Sea - Sonic Youth might not be synonymous with beauty but there are at least 14 minutes of haunted beauty on this track.

Lonely Woman- Ornette Coleman

Peace Piece- Bill Evans

Sundays- Lucinda Williams

Stolen Moments- Six Parts Seven

Glenn Tipton- Sun Kil Moon

Diamond Head- Phil Manzanera/801

It Makes No Difference- The Band, I always thought that Rick Danko and Richard Manuel sang together about as well as two people could ...but Solomon Burke has a version that kills this as well.

Cause We've ended as Lovers- Jeff Beck

Kanga Roo- Big Star

Spring Can Really Hang You up the Most- Ella Fitzgerald.. almost any Ella will do but I love this track.

Edited by mumbleypeg

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Plato

I often go back to one of my favorite, most beautifully all-time sad songs, "Don't Leave This Way" by the 77's.

Actually, I'm listening to the 77's self-titled EP as I type. I've always thought that their song "Ache Beautiful" is, well, beautiful.

Jeff Johnson's Psalmus record has a number of beautiful tracks, especially #7 (A Door Into Heaven) and #11 (Place of Resurrection).

"Golden Day" - David Wilcox on East Asheville Hardware

"Baby That's Not All" - Josh Ritter on Hello Starling

"China" - Tori Amos on Little Earthquakes

"Lux Aeterna" - John Rutter in his Requiem

"Burgundy Shoes" - Patti Griffin on Children Running Through

"Miserere Mei" - Gregorio Allegri: can be heard on The Choir of Trinity College's "Voce" record

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

Ooh, I'll play too.

To be fair, I think we'll all come to different conclusions as to what the term "beautiful" means. Not to be post-modern and insufferably subjective, but what may be disturbing and tactless to me may be heaven's melody to you. So to put it in strictly structural terms, these are songs that are, as close as I can call it across the board, generally melodic and aesthetically endearing, especially to me.

I also know that a couple of these songs are probably corny choices, but I love the lot of 'em. This is probably one of the only times I will leave myself open on this board to ridicule for my indulgence in shamelessly radio-oriented pop/rock fare, so take your chance while you got it.

Devotchka-How It Ends

Final Fantasy-The Pooka Sings

Godspeed you, Black Emperor!-Gathering Storms

Hem-Pacific Street

Lisa Gerrard-Sanvean (I am Your Shadow)

My Brightest Diamond-Dragonfly

Regina Spektor-Lady

Imogen Heap-Hide and Seek

Kate Rusby-Bring Me a Boat

Rich Mullins-The River

Five for Fighting-100 Years

Clannad-Theme From Harry's Game

Jeff Buckley-Hallelujah

Mae-The Breakdown

Jimmy Eat World-23

Bittersweet Symphony – The Verve

Heck yes. This song has rocked my socks off every time I've heard it. It is the big kahuna of radio pop songs, and all other radio singles ought to revere it with awe.

Edited by Joel C

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Ooh, I'll play too.

To be fair, I think we'll all come to different conclusions as to what the term "beautiful" means. Not to be post-modern and insufferably subjective, but what may be disturbing and tactless to me may be heaven's melody to you. So to put it in strictly structural terms, these are songs that are, as close as I can call it across the board, generally melodic and aesthetically endearing, especially to me.

I also know that a couple of these songs are probably corny choices, but I love the lot of 'em. This is probably one of the only times I will leave myself open on this board to ridicule for my indulgence in shamelessly radio-oriented pop/rock fare, so take your chance while you got it.

Devotchka-How It Ends

Final Fantasy-The Pooka Sings

Godspeed you, Black Emperor!-Gathering Storms

Hem-Pacific Street

Lisa Gerrard-Sanvean (I am Your Shadow)

My Brightest Diamond-Dragonfly

Regina Spektor-Lady

Imogen Heap-Hide and Seek

Kate Rusby-Bring Me a Boat

Rich Mullins-The River

Five for Fighting-100 Years

Clannad-Theme From Harry's Game

Jeff Buckley-Hallelujah

Mae-The Breakdown

Jimmy Eat World-23

I almost put Superman by Five for Fighting on my list but I think I was too embarassed. I'm glad that you bridged that gap for me, haha. I also would like to add Mad World by Tears for Fears, Blue Bird by the Rosebuds, and Iris by Goo Goo Dolls to my list.

As far as definition of beauty. For me, it just seems like there are certain songs that just reach you in some way. Maybe it is just a purely subjective post-modern thing. I have definitely enjoyed reading many of the submissions. It's given me lots of great ideas. Thanks guys!

-Gustave Flaubert

Good luck with that definition of beauty, and let Immanuel Kant and David Hume know when you've figured it out.

I'm content to let it be subjective, and to note that some people, inexplicably, really do find Skinny Puppy and Carman albums to be quite lovely.

But these are some of the songs and albums I come back to again and again when I want to experience beauty washing over me.

Bill Evans -- Peace Piece

Miles Davis -- Blue in Green

Sigur Ros -- virtually the entire catalogue, but particularly "Hopipola"

Brad Mehldau -- Elegiac Cycles (the entire album)

Radiohead -- Fake Plastic Trees

Samuel Barber -- Adagio for Strings

Henryk Gorecki -- Symphony of Sorrowful Songs

Beethoven -- Quartet Op. 132 in A Minor

The Beach Boys -- Our Prayer

Nick Drake -- Place to Be

Van Morrison -- Listen to the Lion

John Coltrane -- Naima

Thelonious Monk -- Misterioso

Peter Gabriel -- Passion Soundtrack

Iarla O Lionaird -- A Nest of Stars

Richard and Linda Thompson -- Dimming of the Day

Off the top of my head...

Low - "Over The Ocean"

Slowdive - "Catch The Breeze", "Souvlaki Space Station", "Altogether"

The Mary Onettes - "Slow"

Henryk Gorecki - "Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs"

Joy Electric - "Marigoldness"

Gavin Bryars - "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet"

Nick Cave - "Lime Tree Arbour"

U2 - "Walk To The Water"

This Mortal Coil - It'll End In Tears (pretty much the entire album)

Cocteau Twins - "Heaven Or Las Vegas"

Steve Roach - "Quiet Friend"

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (specifically "Save The Children", "God Is Love", "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)"

Bjork - "Unison"

The Cure - "Charlotte Sometimes", "This Twilight Garden", "All Cats Are Grey"

A Silver Mt. Zion - "13 Angels Standing Guard 'Round The Side Of Your Bed"

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The Sundays - Love

The Sundays - Here's Where the Story Ends

I think I'm going to make and A&F "Beauties" comp disc, or at the very least a Playlist, gathering songs I do not know from this thread.

Edited by stef

Good luck with that definition of beauty, and let Immanuel Kant and David Hume know when you've figured it out.

I'm content to let it be subjective, and to note that some people, inexplicably, really do find Skinny Puppy and Carman albums to be quite lovely.

I saw a Dell advertisement today and apparently their new desktop contraption is considered "beautiful." I'm trying to not let that sour my perception.

I would definitely not try to make an overarching definition of beauty. I would agree that it is a very subjective term. However, I do think there are some common themes in all music and art that we can agree on. It has been cool to see the differences in everyone's lists but also the similarities. I can't believe I forgot this in my original list but a song that touches me everytime I hear it is Big Country by Bela Fleck. Even though it is totally instrumental, something about it just reaches straight to my heart. I think what is cool about finding beauty in art is that it really is a picture of God's beauty in creation. "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men..."

Sorry, I tend to rant and go on tangents when I start posting. Please tell me if I'm being annoying.

I will admit that I was a huge Carman fan at one time in my life. He had some pretty sweet music videos.

"I think I'm going to make and A&F "Beauties" comp disc, or at the very least a Playlist, gathering songs I do not know from this thread."

Stef, definitely send me that list when you make it.

Edited by Mr. Timnus

-Gustave Flaubert

I -- like so many others here -- may have a hard time pinning down what makes a beautiful song. I just know it when I hear it. I will say, though, that I tend to value music over lyrics, so some of these tunes are picked primarily for their music.

I have to second the "Diamond Sea" and Richard Buckner mentions -- both of those songs make me weep.

"Mistress" & "Mistress (Piano Version)" - Red House Painters

"Sleepwalk" - Santo & Johnny

"True Love Travels on a Gravel Road" - the Afghan Whigs

"Lost of Love" - the Bad Plus

"My Favorite Things" - John Coltrane

"18" - the New Year

"Selfless, Cold & Composed" - Ben Folds Five

"Roses From My Friends" - Ben Harper

"Nightime" - Big Star

"Solar System" - Vigilantes of Love

"Battery in Your Leg" - Blur

"Black Metallic" - Catherine Wheel

"Here Come the Snakes" - Crooked Fingers

"Put You to Sleep" - Dolorean

"We Know in Part" - Early Day Miners

"This Cloud We're On" - Idaho

"P.S. You Rock My World" - Eels

"Heaven" - the Fire Theft

"Emily" - Freedy Johnston

"Little Dipper" - Hum

"Stumbling Through the Dark (acoustic)" - the Jayhawks

"Fillmore Jive" - Pavement

"September" - Ryan Adams & the Cardinals

"Set the Ray to Jerry" - Smashing Pumpkins

"Spiritual" - Spain (this song always blows me away)

and this one might be a stretch, but "Alcoholiday" by Teenage Fanclub is a beautifully sad song.

If you haven't noticed, there are lots of wall-of-guitar or chaotic songs on here. I find a lot of beauty in stuff like the shimmery haze of "Mistress" or "Black Metallic."

Samuel Barber -- Adagio for Strings

There is a choral setting of the "Agnus Dei" to Samuel Berber's Adagio for Strings. The average to good choir gets strained and off-pitch in the first 30 seconds (which is still the first note), but when sung by a great pure-toned choir, ahh....

You can also find a good Cambridge recording on Trinity Choir's Voce album.

I was just thinking about this myself the other day.....at the moment:

my morning jacket - golden (off acoustic citsuoca)

bright eyes w/ m. ward - smoke without fire

bill frisell - gimme a holler

stars of the lid - humectez la mouture

guillemots - little bear

gonzalo rubalcabo - here comes that rainy day

bon iver - re: stacks

joe purdy - take my blanket and go

m. ward - vincent o'brien

nick drake - northern sky

smog - to be of use

tim buckley - song to the siren

uncle tupelo - fatal wound

I could on and on and on

(which reminds me.....wilco - on and on :)

I'm a cherry ghost

Here's a short list of songs/pieces that more often than not make me catch my breath, stop what i'm doing, and listen:

Radiohead -

Muse -

Sigur R

Thank you, Zalm, for listing the YouTube connections to those performances. Love the Jeff Buckley Hallelujah. I've been visiting YouTube for a while, but it didn't occur to me until today to check on clips of my favorite artist, Michael Hedges. A virtuoso guitar player, it has been maddening to try and describe his concerts to folks who never had a chance to see him. But there is an amazing 117 clips posted by one fan on YouTube, and now I have to find time to go through them all.

That being said, when I first saw this thread, the Michael Hedges composition Gospel immediately sprang to mind. An exquisite piece of music. It took on different forms throughout his career. The clip I found is from a 1985 concert at Kent State, where Hedges transitions Gospel into The Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Sorry, just had to bump the thread when I found my own consistency in thought from two years ago. This is rare, it's something I'm not used to in myself --

And a few rediscoveries - ....

...... These Are The Days - 10,000 Maniacs

Heh heh. :)

I was looking for Blonde Redhead info and we don't have a dedicated thread. I know you all caught onto them a lot earlier than I did, so I'm not going to create a thread for them at this point.

The first song on 23 ran over the end credits to that horrible film Jennifer's Body and it'd been a while since I heard it. It was really the only thing I liked about the film, and it got me listening to these albums again. I re-fell in love with the band, but this time much harder than before. Now I'd easily consider myself a huge fan (now watch, they're probably broken up, that's how late I always am to the music ballgame).

But I can't stop listening to both Misery is a Butterfly and 23, especially with the earbuds on, where the recordings really shine. Where you can hear all the details of what they're pulling together, it really is a great listening experience. I can't decide which recording I love more, they're both wonderful all the way through the end.

They took a few years for me to really fall in love with, and now I desperately want to see them live. I love how they layer the strings and the guitars, I love the simple riffs that they pull together that, enmeshed in everything around, it just comes alive and sounds very fresh. After listening quite a few times now, I actually like how both of the lead singers sound, too. Their voices are certainly distinct, and I wouldn't be offended if I heard someone say they hated it. It'd be my same reaction to Joanna Newsom. But these two are a little more down to earth, just very unusual sounding, but at times very exciting (when you listen intently, there are some wild things being done in those voices at times).

I've seen quite a few other albums by the band -- are there any as good as this?

Edited by Persona

I'm late to the party, but I'll play:

- 'In Paradisum,' from Faure's Requiem

- 'Pater Noster,' from Einhorn's 'Voices of Light'

- Theme from Powaqatsi - Philip Glass

- 'Denn alles Fleisch,' from Brahms' Requiem

- 'Study War,' Moby

- Gorecki's 3rd Symphony (I'll definitely hop on the bandwagon for this one)

- 'Feel It Turn,' by Great Big Sea

- 'Someone I Used to Love' and 'Lovers in a Dangerous Time (live solo version),' by Bruce Cockburn

- 'Les Etoiles Filantes,' by Les Cowboys Fringants

- 'Girls in their Summer Clothes' and probably a couple of others by Springsteen

- 'My Antonia,' by Emmylou Harris

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

- 'Study War,' Moby

It's quite sad this album didn't catch on. I personally think it's his best yet. I guess it depends on what you love it for. I use it for prayer and meditation. Serious. It's that perfect. I like "Study War," but I much more prefer the backwards guitars on "Shot in the Back of the Head."

I agree completely, Stef. 'Wait for Me' seems a much more cohesive album, flowing naturally from track to track. The quality of the tracks is consistently high, too, unlike the hit-or-miss quality of his nonetheless excellent CDs such as 'Play.' For me, anyway, it's the most richly spiritual of his albums, in a manner that's hard for me to put into words.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/