Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Silly Films.

I'm sitting at home watching 'Army of Darkness' and thought this might be a fun topic. I like silly movies and 'Army of Darkness' is definately one.

Some other favorite sillies:

O Brother Where Art Thou

Bottle Rocket

Bedazzled

Multiplicity

Hot Shots: Part Deux

Noises Off

George of the Jungle

Mystery Men

Evil Dead 2

What Planet are you From?

The Princess Bride

Bringing up Baby

"I am quietly judging you" - Magnolia

I still laugh at a number of things in Dumb and Dumber.

Harry: "Boy, the Rocky Mountains don't look so rocky. That John Denver is full of it."

Anything from Monty Python - quintessential silliness.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Let's not forget the Three Stooges! :silly:

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Bedazzled

Yes, but I only recognize the 1967 Peter Cook/Dudley Moore version smile.gif

And for a complete contrast, (does this also belong in the "Chick Flicks" thread? :wink: )-- Earth Girls Are Easy

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

O, Brother a silly movie? No Way! There is so much about the film that transcends any others mentioned

My favorite bit in Dumb and Dumber still is coming around the turn into the outskirts of Aspen. The boys are tying down the entirety of inbound and thru traffic. Oh, and "Pretty bird, pretty bird."

Why don't we stipulate just about all of the Farrely bro.s and Zucker Abrams Zucker including Young Doctors In Love with the wonderful Hector Elizondo as a goomba in hiding (in drag) lamenting not taking a position with the "Philadelphia F*****g Philharmonic".

In addition:

The Wheelerdealers

Blazing Saddles

Robin Hood, Men In Tights

Undercover Brother

Easy Money

Back To School

All Pink Panthers except the last two.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

My choice for utter silliness would be any of a handful of the British Carry on... comedies of the '50s, '60s and '70s. If you are not acquainted with the series, I recommend Spying, Camping, up the Khyber, at Your Convenience and Behind. (I must warn that Carry on films are not everyone's cup of tea!)

Drop by The Grace Pages, a rest-stop for fellow pilgrims.

-- Dave aka Alvy

For me, there is one dumb film that reigns supreme and that, at one time, I could quote in its entirety. The thing has never been beat as the best sight-gag film ever... Top Secret!

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Best recent silly movie: "Dumb and Dumber"

Favorite silly movie from my younger days: "Airplane!"

Both have so many hilarious moments and memorable quotes. I also thought "Rocketman" was an endearing dumb film with a lot of funny moments (suitable for all ages, to boot). "Three Amigos" would also fit the bill, IIRC.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Gremlins and Gremlins 2: The New Batch for sheer fun and entertainment, though they're actually quite accomplished bits of filmmaking.

Drop by The Grace Pages, a rest-stop for fellow pilgrims.

-- Dave aka Alvy

My favorite bit in Dumb and Dumber still is coming around the turn into the outskirts of Aspen. The boys are tying down the entirety of inbound and thru traffic. Oh, and \"Pretty bird, pretty bird.\"

My personal favorite Dumb and Dumber moment: "We got no food... we got no jobs... our pets' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!"

For me, there is one dumb film that reigns supreme and that, at one time, I could quote in its entirety. The thing has never been beat as the best sight-gag film ever... Top Secret!

I hardly think of it as the best sight-gag film ever, but I, too, love Top Secret! It's one of the few films that have tried to recapture the maniacal wit of Airplane! that actually works pretty well.

"I know a little German... he's standing over there!"

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Speaking of Mel Brooks, I always crack up at this line from Blazing Saddles:

[To two members of the KKK]

Jim: Oh Boys, Lookee what I got heyuh.

Sheriff Bart: Hey, where all the white women at?

How could I have missed Gremlins2? Tony Randal's voice of the genius Gremlin is one long silly gag. The most intellectual silly gag I can remember.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life."

Hedly Lamarr: What's that you have in your mouth?

Bad Guy: Just chewing gum.

Hedly: Well, did you bring some for everybody?

Bad Guy: Well, uh, no I didn't.

Hedly shoots bad guy dead on the spot.

Jim: Boy! Is he strict!

Talk about your films once remembered by heart. This came out early in my college days. Mel Brooks immediately became the idol of all the jewish guys that I knew in school. Must have seen it 10 times on the big screen back then.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, one of the most quoteable films ever made. \"What hump?\"

"Putt, de kendle beck."

"You can button your bodice now."

"BLUCHER!!"

And I can't believe we forgot Ingmar Bergman! The Silence, Through A Glass Darkly, The Seventh Seal, or even Cries And Whispers.

biggrin.gif

Speaking of Mel Brooks, I always crack up at this line from Blazing Saddles:

[To two members of the KKK]  

Jim: Oh Boys, Lookee what I got heyuh.  

Sheriff Bart: Hey, where all the white women at?

Jim: "Uh oh, you forgot to scrub up after the weekly cross burning." [Rubs Bart's hands in attempt to "wash" it off] "See, it's coming off."

[suddenly the hood is pulled off, everyone gasps.]

Bart: "And now, for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" [Runs off quickly]

And who could forget "The William J. LePetome (sp?) Toll Bridge? "Anyone got any dimes?"

Airplane!

Animal Crackers

Blazing Saddles

Bugsy Malone

Happy Gilmore

Johnny Dangerously

Kung Pow

The Meaning of Life

Monty Python & the Holy Grail

Room Service

Yeah, I know, Kung Pow. May God have mercy on my soul, but I unraveled when I saw that, cursing myself for being so quickly laid low…

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

The Naked Gun films also amused me, as did both Wayne's Worlds, plus of course the Python films.

I can't beleive it took this long for someone to mention Naked Gun! Maybe it was just my pre-adolescent sense of humour but I can remember laughing my way through every one of those films!

"Surely, you can't be serious!"

"I am serious. And stop calling me Shirley."

Yes, when you're 13 it is funny! (and still sometimes when you're 25)