An Education

He couldn't provide an extra dose, he waited all that time and then lasted like eight seconds with her.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He couldn't provide an extra dose, he waited all that time and then lasted like eight seconds with her.

Naturally. :P

Forgive me if I seem a bit more voyeuristic, but I daresay I would have felt the impact of that moment more had the film actually given us a sex scene (albeit an awkwardly brief one). Like most other key narrative moments in AN EDUCATION, it's decidedly underplayed.

But what I meant by my comment is that I would have liked things to be a little more sensual and passionate before Jenny and her grown-up lover actually get around to doing the business in order to accentuate the deflation later. There's not a particularly great sense of attraction or desire. Sexual desire thrives on waiting, but the film fails to deliver any real sense of tension or anticipation. As a result, the deflation seemed rather of a piece with what had come before, rather than a letdown.

Edited by Ryan H.