Cornerstone questions

Andrew

I'm a wee bit embarrassed to state that I'd never heard of Cornerstone until this year. In hearing you guys speak of your experiences there, plus reading CT's recent article about the festival, it sounds terrific.

Two questions:

1) Is the musical emphasis heavily upon alt-rock, or is there a decent representation of other musical styles?

2) How was the Steve Taylor concert? (I loved his stuff back in the 80's)

Thanks!

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

: I'm a wee bit embarrassed to state that I'd never heard of Cornerstone

: until this year.

Please excise the phrase "a wee bit." Apparently, you do not read your Bible enough:

"Jesus said to them, 'Have you never read in the Scriptures: "The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; the Lord has done this, along with creating the similarly titled Christian arts festival to come 2000 years hence, where the Steve Taylors will play and the films named 'Eileen' will be readily booed"?' While the crowd watched in awe, Jesus whispered to his disciples to remember the name Danielson Famile, because man, that band will be gnarly cool."

-- Matthew 21:42 (DNSRV)

: In hearing you guys speak of your experiences there, plus reading CT's

: recent article about the festival, it sounds terrific.

'Tis.

: Is the musical emphasis heavily upon alt-rock, or is there a decent

: representation of other musical styles?

The musical style is all music that rocks more than Twila Paris. I hate the word "eclectic" for psychological reasons that need not be discussed here, but it is appropriate for Cornerstone. (In fact, I am not convinced Twila Paris would be out of place.) About 75 percent of the music sucks, but the 25 percent that doesn't, crikey.

: How was the Steve Taylor concert? (I loved his stuff back in the 80's)

Do you have his mid-

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Andrew wrote:

: I'm a wee bit embarrassed to state that I'd never heard of Cornerstone

: until this year. In hearing you guys speak of your experiences there,

: plus reading CT's recent article about the festival, it sounds terrific.

The only Cornerstone I ever attended was the one in 2000, and while I liked the wide range of music available there, I was a bit disappointed by some of the seminars. I probably wouldn't have wanted anything quite as liberal as Greenbelt, which I attended in 1994, but giving Phillip E. Johnson several seminars in which to make belittling remarks about evolutionary theory while giving no evolutionist evangelicals a chance to speak was definitely more biased than I thought it needed to be.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Dale:

- Funny, Matthew 21 looks a little different in my Bible -- what could those NIV scholars have been thinking?

- No, unfortunately I don't have Taylor's Liver recording. I pretty much lost interest in the CCM scene after 1990 -- perhaps the only unfortunate consequence of that is missing out on Liver and Chagall Guevara. Sadly, I've never heard either.

Peter:

- Just an semi-informed hunch, but I suspect evangelical apologists for evolution are still too far from the mainstream to be accepted at such a major gathering. The librarian in me must ask: are there any notable books putting forth this viewpoint yet?

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Andrew wrote:

: Just an semi-informed hunch, but I suspect evangelical apologists for

: evolution are still too far from the mainstream to be accepted at such a

: major gathering. The librarian in me must ask: are there any notable

: books putting forth this viewpoint yet?

Define "notable". Phillip E. Johnson himself is not entirely anti-evolution -- he just advocates what the old-timers used to call a "God of the gaps" theory, and he wants the gaps to be a bit bigger than most evolutionists say they are. A very good introduction to this debate would be Darwinism Defeated? (published by Regent College), a brief exchange between Johnson and Denis O. Lamoureux followed by other essays commenting on the debate (the authors of which have no doubt written books of their own); I did an article on Lamoureux here.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, Peter, stop going on about Phillip Johnson. He hasn't been back since you saw him on the program and there have been plenty of speakers in other categories who have been definately and unapologetically non-believers in that particular creationist paradigm. There's plenty of "diversity" on this issue in-house (so much for the Cstone POV), and maybe someday the tug-of-war will resolve itself in a different direction. The Cstone POV remains a messy ongoing argument (I wish everybody at the fest could spend some time in the Speaker Hospitality) that I cherish.

mike_h wrote:

: Oh, Peter, stop going on about Phillip Johnson.

Have I been "going on" about him?

Anyway, having been to Greenbelt (once, in '94), where there were a number of dialogues and debates in addition to the stand-alone lectures, I just remember being disappointed when I went to Cornerstone (once, in '00) and ALL the seminars I saw basically consisted of one person lecturing for one hour here and one hour there and one hour everywhere, etc. Plus the whole thing felt VERY evangelical, not so ecumenical, and if there were tents offering Gregorian chants at matins and the like, as I experienced at Greenbelt, then I missed 'em.

Of course, I realize it's absurd to make too strong a contrast or comparison between the two festivals when I have attended each one only once, and several years ago in both cases. So take this all with a grain of salt. I do wish I could go back to both festivals some time.

Andrew:

2) How was the Steve Taylor concert? (I loved his stuff back in the 80's)

My review is up at the Tollbooth.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Have I been "going on" about him?

I seem to recall you talking about Johnson on the other board in the context of Cornerstone stories. I just figure if you can get beyond that sore point I'll have a better chance of making your acquaintance at a Cornerstone to come. The thick Evangelical stench, admittedly, you sometimes have to hold your nose for, but sometimes the latent hog farm smell covers the odor.

mike_h wrote:

: I seem to recall you talking about Johnson on the other board in the

: context of Cornerstone stories.

Ah. Well, I tend to repeat myself a LOT.

: I just figure if you can get beyond that sore point I'll have a better

: chance of making your acquaintance at a Cornerstone to come.

Actually, I ended up seeing very little of the seminars and didn't attend more than one session apiece of, like, two of them (except for the lectures on Star Wars, all of which I attended faithfully) -- I was there primarily to see certain bands that I had never seen before, and to meet people that I had never met in person before. So if you're asking whether I would like to come back to Cornerstone, the answer is, uh, yeah, almost certainly ...

: The thick Evangelical stench, admittedly, you sometimes have to hold

: your nose for, but sometimes the latent hog farm smell covers the odor.

... but, as accepting as I can be of certain kinds of body odor, I'm not a huge fan of mud. smile.gif

(I have been curious, BTW, to know how you do these film screenings, given how open all the tents were and how easily sound travelled when I was there -- I would find all the noises and smells and whatnot very distracting, I think, especially if the image was being projected on a piece of canvas that rippled in the breeze.)