Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

The New World (2005)

Terrence Malick will now direct his script THE NEW WORLD, a New Line drama about Pocahontas and the cultural collision of European explorers and Native American tribes. Colin Farrell has committed to play the explorer John Smith in the project, which has set a July production start date in Virginia. �

Malick will now direct CHE July 2005 instead of 2004 as previously planned, and figured that project could use more preproduction time for its Bolivian shoot.

FWIW, there've been reports that Benicio Del Toro will be play Guevara.

That is interesting. It is suprising though that with the breadth of talent that Latin American cinema offers that they haven't persuaded someone closer to the material to direct something like this.

Unfortunately, this means he has shelved The Moviegoer for now.

Should be interesting to see how he handles Pocahontas and her eventual conversion to Christianity and her marriage to John Smith.

I wonder if this will end up another historical epic with 21st century morality mixed in.

EDIT: I think I might want to explain that last statement. I'm tired of seeing these so-called movies where they take extreme liberties with actual historical events and mess with even the basic facts of the why (why did John Smith go over to America? why did Pocahontas go back with him?) and the situations surrounding it.

(Perhaps this is a partial response to what Disney did with this character - it's a reason why I quit watching the newer Disney animated films spanning throughout the rest of the 1990's - Pixar films excluded.)

Clint M wrote:

: Should be interesting to see how he handles Pocahontas and her

: eventual conversion to Christianity and her marriage to John Smith.

Yeah, given Mallick's rambling oh-what-the-hell,-we-can-always-add-wishy-washy-narration-in-post approach, it is strange to see him tackle not just one but TWO historical subjects -- I guess we won't be hearing cries of "accuracy! accuracy!" with regard to THESE projects.

Hmmm, I find myself flashing back to Werner Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God now.

Unfortunately, this means he has shelved The Moviegoer for now.

Wow. I didn't know this was in the works. Coincidentally I am re-reading that right now for some reason, I would have serious reservations about seeing it filmed, there are a few ironies about that.

I thought Malick was through with Hollywood after The Thin Red Line when Fox would not let him release his rumored 4 or 5 hour cut?

I know there was some interview or article that said this... perhaps it was just a rumor.

From AICN:

Steven Soderbergh will replace Terrence Malick as the director of CHE, based on the life of Che Guevara, to star Benicio Del Toro. Production is expected to begin in South America in August 2005, and he will supervise the writing of a new script. The producers also hope that Javier Bardem, Benjamin Bratt, Ryan Gosling and Franka Potente will remain involved if their schedules allow them to be in South America next year.

Small casting update from Cinescape:

Colin Farrell and Christopher Plummer have been cast in THE NEW WORLD, a historical drama in development at New Line Cinema. To be directed by Terrence Malick (THE THIN RED LINE), the story is about the clash of cultures between European settlers in Jamestown, VA., and native American Indians in the 17th century. Farrell will play John Smith, an explorer, while Plummer will be Captain Christopher Newport, the first president of the colony. The film's story will present its own take on the Pocahontas love story between Smith and the Indian princess.

Filming is scheduled to start in July.

Cinescape wrote:

: The film's story will present its own take on the Pocahontas love story between

: Smith and the Indian princess.

Ah, so it's going to be a revisionist legend, and not an interpretation of history, then.

http://www.powhatan.org/pocc.html

The official website for The New World is now up. The trailers don't seem to be available, but there is a shot-by-shot option that can be viewed. Definitely looks like a Malick film, from these shots.

Scheduled to hit theatres Nov. 9.

We cannot allow this thread to evade the withering scorn expressed here. You go, kenmorefield!

Oh, and incidentally, Pocahontas did not marry John Smith. She married John Rolfe -- who, incidentally, was the first man to successfully turn tobacco into a commercial crop, or something like that. (So much for the Disney version, where John Smith says, "Hey, look, she can show us how to grow ... CORN!")

I'm no Colin Farrell fan, but I'm modestly excited about seeing The New World next fall. The trio of Christian Bale, David Thewlis, and Christopher Plummer will make for a great supporting cast, methinks.

At the same time, though, the latest trailer (which played before War of the Worlds) seemed to showcase a couple of skirmishes/battles between the colonists and Indians. I thought the point of the story was that Pocahontas prevented that sort of thing (though I'm just going by the accepted myth, and haven't really read up on the subject).

I'm excited for this film. We visited the Jamestown colony last summer and there was mention of the filming done there on our tour. I'm confident that to the extent the trailer (which I recently saw) gives off a Last of the Mohicans/Dances With Wolves vibe, it's a deliberate attempt to market the movie to the genera populace like those other films, with the underlying assumption that Malick fans and cinephiles will expect something dissimilar in the finished, complete product and won't stay away.

My history lessons are a little foggy, but I don't think Pocahontas and John Smith were ever a "thing". I believe she was very young, like 12 yrs. old when they met. And if memory serves, John Smith was a short red-head who really whipped these guys into shape and was rather disliked for his methods. "If you don't work, you don't eat" was the policy at Jamestown and many of the men who came over were wealthy and didn't feel that they had to work.

If I'm confusing my early American settlers let me know.

No, you're right. She was quite young. I think her name translates as something like "playful one," and there were some stories about her being rather flirtatious.

There's been a sizeable release date change for The New World. Instead of opening in November, it will now go limited on Christmas Day and open wide much later, on January 16th. I wonder what the strategy behind this movie is. I can't imagine the box-office performance improving at all as a result of the move.

Huh. I guess that partly explains why it wasn't among the premieres in Toronto.

I'd also guess that the Christmas day release plus the January wide release date is just a way of fishing for Oscar. It's not like January is a big box-office month by typical Hollywood standards.

I just realized that we already had a thread on Malick's Che Guevara film here.

As for The New World ... wasn't Christian Bale, who I spotted in the new trailer for this film, in the Disney version of the Pocahontas story, too?

Yes, Peter, he was. Along with Mel Gibson.