Sign in to follow this  
Clint M

LOTR: The Return of The King - Extended Edition

So apparently someone at TheOneRing.net knows what might be added to the extended cut of Return of the King.

ROTK Extended Edition DVD Spoilers

weetanya @ 8:53 pm EST

ROTK Extended Edition DVD Spoilers translated by Joana Cotar and Marc B. Lee.  

From Datacomm.ch (Full article here). Note: some of this is purely speculation.

The LOTR Special Extended Edition will be released in November (as per PJ) and will have an additional length between 40 and 60 min. The official color of the DVD box is blue.

The cinema version of the movie will be released in July, not August, so there is a possibility that SEE will be released earlier than November - some online stores even say that they will have the cinema version in May

Legolas will kill Peter Jackson, who supposed to have a cameo appearance as a corsair captain.

Bah. Should've been Rhys-Davies. biggrin.gif

: Legolas will kill Peter Jackson, who supposed to have a cameo

: appearance as a corsair captain.

"Supposed to"? There is a point during Gandalf's spiel about the ships in which we get a brief glimpse of them, and nearly every time I have seen this film, I have heard someone in the theatre whisper, "Hey, there's Peter Jackson!" The only reason I didn't whisper that myself the first time I saw the film was because I wasn't sitting with anyone. He's pretty obvious.

I have a non-extended question, so this might not be the right thread, but here goes ...

The theatrical edition of TRotK comes out May 25. I have read that the DVD will come with a box that you can put all three theatrical discs in, at least in the United States. The other day, I noticed that Rogers Video, here in Canada, is offering a similar (but bilingual) box if you pre-order TRotK -- and they say the box is ONLY available at Rogers Video. A guy I spoke to at A&B Sound today said he had never even HEARD of the box before I called and asked if they would be distributing those in conjunction with the DVDs. So what I'm wondering is if I should pre-order the DVD at Rogers in order to get the box, or if I would be able to get the box elsewhere and, thus, should wait until the DVD's release date.

I have a non-extended question, so this might not be the right thread, but here goes ...

The theatrical edition of TRotK comes out May 25. I have read that the DVD will come with a box that you can put all three theatrical discs in, at least in the United States. The other day, I noticed that Rogers Video, here in Canada, is offering a similar (but bilingual) box if you pre-order TRotK -- and they say the box is ONLY available at Rogers Video. A guy I spoke to at A&B Sound today said he had never even HEARD of the box before I called and asked if they would be distributing those in conjunction with the DVDs. So what I'm wondering is if I should pre-order the DVD at Rogers in order to get the box, or if I would be able to get the box elsewhere and, thus, should wait until the DVD's release date.

I looked around at Home Theater Forum and DVDTalk.com, and no one mentioned anything other than Rogers Video having the exclusive case in Canada.

You could get a Paul Champagne case for the set! tongue.gif

More details on the ROTK:EE release... Edited by opus

Hmmm, yeah, the previous EEs came out in Novembers, didn't they? Still, if it takes them an extra month to do it right, I shan't complain.

In fact, I wonder if they might be planning some Christmas-season theatrical re-issue of the trilogy, kinda like what they did with the first two EEs before TRotK came out, to help promote this DVD.

Oh well, as long as I can watch it over Christmas ... smile.gif

Hmmm, yeah, the previous EEs came out in Novembers, didn't they? Still, if it takes them an extra month to do it right, I shan't complain.

In fact, I wonder if they might be planning some Christmas-season theatrical re-issue of the trilogy, kinda like what they did with the first two EEs before TRotK came out, to help promote this DVD.

Oh well, as long as I can watch it over Christmas ... smile.gif

I've heard that there might be a possibility to see the EE of ROTK in theaters before it hits DVD. Someone apparently saw a memo from New Line stating such would happen in October or November - but it's the internet, so TTMV. (The Truth May Vary.)

IMDb.com Studio Briefing reports that the ROTK Extended Edition will be 50 ("count 'em, 50") minutes longer than the theatrical release.

Only 50? I thought the story was that it was going to be over an hour. Not that I'm complaining. The original film was already over a half hour longer than the first two theatrical releases.

The last I heard the total running time would be 4 hours 10 minutes.

Note here about extended extended versions / super box sets in the future?

This'll be something to watch for when the new DVD technologies start arriving. As Star Wars and Indiana Jones have been for DVD, so LOTR will become for Blu-Ray/Hi Def and whatever else succeeds the current format. And you can bet when that happens there'll be all sorts of tiny bonus bits and bobs to sweeten the deal.

But I think as far as current DVD technology is concerned, we're all safe buying our extended versions and not feeling ripped off. At least, that's what Peter Jackson promises. New Line, on the other hand, may go for the 'two year anniversary! All new Elrond bloopers!' approach.

Phil.

user posted image

Picture of the Box Set... includes a DVD special on "The Making of the LOTR Symphony".

Great... now should I shell out my cash for this one?

Wow! I am DEFINITELY going to have to get this. A DVD special on Howard Shore's music is definitely an improvement on the TTT bonus DVD, which was all about the making of the Gollum model that came with the box. (It remains to be seen whether the Howard Shore DVD will be better, worse, or on par with the bonus extended National Geographic DVD that came with TFotR.)

Especially considering that the LOTR symphony contains music that didn't end up in the films... including a Treebeard piece that's particularly interesting... and because the vocalist doing the song was enthralling live... I'll probably have to spring for this edition.

Found what will be on the bonus DVD: (Thanks to a user on DVDTalk.com)

From Howard Shore:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certainly there's an audience for such a project. People who attended the shows will want something to remember them by, and those folks not fortunate enough to live in a city which hosted the concerts want to know what they missed. Shore says, "Yeah, we're discussing it. I just finished (on July 12) editing a documentary that was shot with the Montreal Symphony and the Montreal Grand Choir and Children's Choir in February. It's a 52-minute piece that has excerpts of the symphony with discussion about the pieces. It talks about creating the symphony. That will be broadcast in the fall and it's also planned for the 'Special Extended Edition' of 'The Return of the King.'"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From BRAVO!:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bravo! Presents The Lord of the Rings Symphony by Howard Shore, September 4 at 8:30 p.m. ET

Two hundred musicians and singers from the Montr

I must say--the bookend looks MUCH better than that lame-o Gollum sculpture from TTT set. I might actually buy the gift set this time.

Actually it's not a bookend. It's a box, you can remove the Minas Tirith top and keep things in the base. Like, oh I don't know, maybe some very very small pieces of jewellery?

Phil.

Edited by Shantih

Didn't they make a box available for the two-disc sets when the two-disc version of TRotK came out? Here in Canada, you could only get it if you pre-ordered at Rogers Video (and I did), but I was under the impression it was available in the States, too.

With that precedent set, I would certainly hope for something similar for the four-disc sets.

Actually it's not a bookend. It's a box, you can remove the Minas Tirith top and keep things in the base. Like, oh I don't know, maybe some very very small pieces of jewellery?

There's a longbottom leaf joke screaming to be made....

Didn't they make a box available for the two-disc sets when the two-disc version of TRotK came out?
Edited by Clint M

Full specs at all the usual sources including the official LotR site. Points of interest include the cast commentary which will feature Andy Serkis playing both Gollum and Smeagol (which could be fun or just embarassing... But, then, I guess they have to do something to pass the four and a quarter hours) and some intriguing sounding short films on the final disk. I'm always a fan of DVDs which put short films on, it's a great medium for them.

Oh, and a teasingly entitled: "Abandoned Concept: Aragorn Battles Sauron" which seems to confirm some old rumours about the Black Gate sequence from many moons ago weren't just moonshine. It'd be interesting to see what Peter Jackson and co. had in mind, and just how long it remained in the film before the squawks of protest kicked in!

Phil.