Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christian

Booksellers Feel the Pinch

62 posts in this topic

Good news here in Bethany Beach, Del., where I had heard Bethany Beach Books was for sale a year or two ago. I subsequently heard that the store had closed, and an old Web link didn't work. Turns out I went to an old site. The store's still here, still open, and even though I have no plans to buy any books this trip, I'm excited to see that it's still a going concern.

Back in D.C., we've seen a few new independent shops and owners recently profiled.

Things aren't so great down the road at the junkier, cluttered Atlantic Books, which is closing. Everything's 25% off. I bought a cookbook.

I had posted long ago about a book I bought there years ago on film scores, but the name escapes me at the moment and, with so little to go on, the search box isn't helping.

Well, my last day was Saturday and our Borders down here in Arlington, TX officially closed today. Due to the sudden closure (The Container Store all of a sudden needed to move in ASAP) our discounts plummeted and I was able to pick up the following:

The Shallows (Hardback)

The Pale King (Hardback)

The Information (Hardback)

Alphabetter Juice (Hardback)

Naming Infinity (Hardback)

The Cloister Walk

Traveling Mercies

Rumi's Book of Love

Seeing (Sequel to Blindness)

Defiant Joy (That Chesterton Biog)

All for less than $30. A decent parting gift, but I would much rather have kept my job. :/

Good grabs, Parrot.

I picked up Patrick deWitt's The Sisters Brothers (was ecstatic to see a copy on the shelf), the first of Richard Stark's Parker mysteries and The Film Paintings of David Lynch: Challenging Film Theory, all for 90% off.

I'll visit one more Borders, maybe tonight, but definitely Saturday to pick up our book cases. That store closes Sunday.

I thought our store closed today, but oops...it closed earlier. I went to our mall yesterday to put money down on a shelf, and was kind of shocked to see the gate down and the store totally empty. Oh well. Any idea when the big Borders at Northway closes, Russ?

Still, I'm glad I was able to pick up two books for under $8 a few weeks ago: China Mieville's Kraken and David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.

Edited by Jason Panella

Still, I'm glad I was able to pick up two books for under $8 a few weeks ago: China Mieville's Kraken and David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.

I've started the de Zoet audiobook three different times. Never got more than a third of the way into it.

I read Mieville's Embassytown this summer, and I'm reading Perdido Street Station for class in a few weeks.

I read Mieville's Embassytown this summer, and I'm reading Perdido Street Station for class in a few weeks.

I loved Perdido, and I'm envious that you're reading that for class. I've enjoyed all of the Mieville I've read, so I'm looking forward to Kraken. I want to read the other unread Mieville on my shelf first, though (Iron Council, another one of his Bas Lag-set novels).

I called the closest Borders to see if they were still open. "We are but will close soon," the man on the other end of the line told me. "Everything is 50 cents, so it's going fast."

I drove there about an hour later to get Bob Dylan's Christmas in the Heart, which I'd seen on the shelf a day earlier but resisted buying. The store was closed.

I called the closest Borders to see if they were still open. "We are but will close soon," the man on the other end of the line told me. "Everything is 50 cents, so it's going fast."

I drove there about an hour later to get Bob Dylan's Christmas in the Heart, which I'd seen on the shelf a day earlier but resisted buying. The store was closed.

Most likely a reseller came in and offered to buy everything left for X amount. That's what happened to most of the Borders in my area.

Most likely a reseller came in and offered to buy everything left for X amount. That's what happened to most of the Borders in my area.

I'm guessing that happened with my Borders, too. Man, I really wanted to look around the store one last time. I have lots of good memories working there on and off over the decade. I'd even say that it was the most purely enjoyable job I've had.

This isn't strictly related to "feeling the pinch," but it is related to booksellers.

I like this post about watching young customers mature into young adults, and tracking their growth through the literature they choose as well as their life events. I wish the post were longer.

I don't have much more to say about the post, other than that I thought others might enjoy it.