Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye Jones

Richard Widmark

Richard Widmark dies at age 93. Always see him as Jim Bowie in the Duke's Alamo. Long distinguished career spanning almost 2/3 of the history of film.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

One of my favorite actors.

Widmark had an impressive body of work, especially in western and film noir. In addition to the Alamo, check out Sam Fuller's Pickup on South Street, John Ford's Cheyenne Autumn, the epic How the West Was Won, and my two favorites: Elia Kazan's Panic in the Streets and Jules Dassin's superb Night and the City.

Mike_tn   
On 3/26/2008 at 1:12 PM, Jason Panella said:

One of my favorite actors.

Widmark had an impressive body of work, especially in western and film noir. ...and Jules Dassin's superb Night and the City.

Agreed. A couple noirs with Widmark for comparison (recently watched), Night and the City (Dassin '50) and Kiss of Death (Hathaway '47). The first of the two was liked better, the second being Widmark's first role. In Kiss of Death he played this really off-the-chain nearly psycho criminal that strongly contrasted the other performers, he's maybe even out of place or maybe the others seem wooden to you if you watch it just to see Widmark. His maniacal laughing reminded me of the laughing by one of Roman whipping guards in Gibson's The Passion of the Christ. By the time Widmark did Night and the City he had really improved or maybe that role and directing better suited him. His wild-boy facet are in both films but more enjoyably so in Night and the City. I put that one off because sometimes sports genre films are tiresome, this one is anything but tiresome.