Sign in to follow this  

For Most Africans, Internet Access a Pipe Dream

I'm not surprised. It would seem to me that the continent as a whole is nowhere near developed enough to use the internet and that there are pressing and elemental infrastructure needs that are way more critical right now. Also, what is the rate of literacy in most nations in Africa? no point in putting the cart before the horse. Most of these populations need to learn how to sustain themselves first.

Yeah, and we are talking about third world and developing countries. Ten percent tells me that Mexico is starting to grow its middle class and that's a really good thing. I'm thinking that the fact that we have come to rely so much on this "new" technology that other services and basic infrastructure standards that we take for granted are forgotten or disguised for us. Such things are necessary for an advanced society to get to the point where home computers and internet access become a reasonable goal. Right offhand, a largely rural nation will be hard pressed to "wire" itself. Even my Dad in semi-rural western North Carolina finds cable internet much more expensive than it would be for me, DSL not an option, and the chintzy phone wires barely able to handle 35 to 40K even at low volume times of the day. I know little to nothing about new wireless internet access, but would guess that the technology is to fresh for a poor country to be able to afford. Then there is still the illiteracy.