Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Lone Ranger

102 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio are going from "shiver me timbers!" to "Hi-ho Silver!"....

The writing duo, best known for their work on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, are in final negotiations to write a live-action big-screen adaptation of "The Lone Ranger" for Disney and producer Jerry Bruckheimer....

The project will be made by Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer Films in association with Entertainment Rights....

"Ranger," owned by Classic Media, began life as a 1930s radio show. Its popularity led to movie serials, TV shows, comic strips and comic books, toys, novels and more....

Rossio and Elliott have experience bringing back genres that seemed passe. The CAA-repped duo wrote "The Mask of Zorro....

Story here.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Posted · Report post

FWIW, I remember Jim Hill mentioning this project ten months ago, but I guess I didn't mention it here at A&F. He notes an interesting irony near the end of his post, regarding who owns the rights to this character and why and how much it's costing them, etc.

How the same writers (and director and stars) who made the remarkably satisfying Mask of Zorro could turn around and make the awful-awful-awful Legend of Zorro is as much a mystery as how those very same writers could have been responsible for the very sharp Curse of the Black Pearl and the (IMHO) messily brilliant Dead Man's Chest before turning around and drafting the disastrously misconceived At World's End.

If they're true to form, it looks like we'll get at least one really good Lone Ranger movie.

After that, either the sequel will suck, or it'll be a rousing setup for a crashingly awful third film.

Edited by SDG

Posted · Report post

FWIW, Jeffrey Wells notes that news of this item first broke at Collider.com on May 24 of last year -- four days before Jim Hill wrote his piece.

Posted · Report post

For what it's worth.

Johnny Depp as Tonto?

So, who will be the Lone Ranger? Tell me it's not Orlando Bloom.

Posted · Report post

For what it's worth.

Johnny Depp as Tonto?

So, who will be the Lone Ranger? Tell me it's not Orlando Bloom.

No worries. Jeffrey Rush will be the LR. :)

Posted · Report post

This probably has no direct bearing on the movie, since I'm sure Disney has sewn up the movie rights for the foreseeable future no matter WHO goes on to own the original character in the long term, but ...

- - -

Entertainment Rights may be close to bankruptcy

Speculation is mounting that U.K.-listed character licensing group Entertainment Rights is poised to file for bankruptcy after shares collapsed last week, leaving the company facing margin calls.

Entertainment Rights, which owns rights to the "Lone Ranger" character currently being reprised by Jerry Bruckheimer in a movie that will star Johnny Depp as Tonto, issued a profits warning last week, prompting shares to dive and likely putting the company in breach of its banking covenants. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, October 12

Posted · Report post

'Lone Ranger' adaptation finds 'Revolutionary Road' scribe

Justin Haythe, who adapted "Revolutionary Road," is negotiating to take on the script for Disney's "The Lone Ranger."

Jerry Bruckheimer is producing the project, which announced the casting of Johnny Depp as Tonto nearly a year and a half ago. Haythe's involvement is the first sign of life on the project since, which could indicate that the franchise potential of the material is a high priority for the new Disney regime. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, February 11

Posted · Report post

Gore Verbinski In Talks To Reteam With Johnny Depp On 'Lone Ranger'

EXCLUSIVE: Gore Verbinski is saddling up for a re-team with Johnny Depp on The Lone Ranger.

Verbinski, whose last live action film was 2007’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, is getting serious about making his next directing outing The Lone Ranger, the Disney pic that has Jerry Bruckheimer producing with Depp playing Tonto. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, September 27

Posted · Report post

TOLDJA! Verbinski Helming 'The Lone Ranger'

EXCLUSIVE: When we last left this project, Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3 director Gore Verbinski was getting serious about saddling up for The Lone Ranger, the Disney pic that has Jerry Bruckheimer producing with Johnny Depp playing Tonto. Now we've learned that Disney just locked in the helmer. Still no word on when the film will begin production or who'll play The Lone Ranger. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, November 23

Posted · Report post

TOLDJA! Verbinski Helming 'The Lone Ranger'

EXCLUSIVE: When we last left this project, Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3 director Gore Verbinski was getting serious about saddling up for The Lone Ranger, the Disney pic that has Jerry Bruckheimer producing with Johnny Depp playing Tonto. Now we've learned that Disney just locked in the helmer. Still no word on when the film will begin production or who'll play The Lone Ranger. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, November 23

I always liked the idea of this being George Clooney and Johnny Depp.

Posted · Report post

Johnny Depp talks about plans for his 'Lone Ranger' reboot -- EXCLUSIVE

Depp, who is part Cherokee, feels a special connection to the role of Tonto. “I always felt Native Americans were badly portrayed in Hollywood films over the decades,” he says. “It’s a real opportunity for me to give a salute to them. Tonto was a sidekick in all the Lone Ranger series. [This film] is a very different approach to that partnership. And a funny one I think.”

Entertainment Weekly, January 18

Posted · Report post

Ryan Gosling in Talks to Join Johnny Depp in 'The Lone Ranger'

Ryan Gosling is in talks to star in Disney's "The Lone Ranger," TheWrap has learned.

It's early, and Gosling's schedule might not permit him to take the role of the Lone Ranger opposite Johnny Depp as Tonto. Gosling is starring as Logan in "Logan's Run" which is scheduled to begin production this fall. . . .

TheWrap.com, April 15

EW says it won't be Gosling who sends Tonto to town.

I nominate Aaron Eckhart. Or better... Patrick Warburton.

Best of all...

NATHAN FILLION.

[update: A friend who says that the Ranger should be a Texan nominates Josh Holloway.]

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

Armie Hammer Riding As 'The Lone Ranger'?

EXCLUSIVE: The Social Network's Armie Hammer is in early talks to star opposite Johnny Depp in the title role of The Lone Ranger, the Gore Verbinski-directed film for Disney. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, April 27

Posted · Report post

Armie Hammer to play the Lone Ranger

Exclusive: It's "Hi-ho, Silver! Away!" for Armie Hammer, with the thesp finalizing a deal to saddle up as the masked Texas Ranger in Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer's adaptation of "The Lone Ranger" opposite Johnny Depp's Tonto.

Best known for his role as the Winklevoss twins in Sony's "The Social Network," Hammer had been the frontrunner for the "Lone Ranger" role for weeks, but casting now moves the project forward for a fall start, making it Bruckheimer's next tentpole after the fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" pic sets sail this weekend. . . .

Variety, May 17

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

Disney pulled the plug because the budget, which I've heard the filmmakers were trying to reduce from $250, wasn't close to the $200 million that Disney wanted to spend.

It takes that much money to film two guys riding on horses?

Posted · Report post

WOW!!! $250 million budget?!? I hate to say it, because I would love to see a well made version of this story, but Disney made the right call there. Just what were they going for that would cost that much? I understand that Depp's salary is going to be high (and apparently is also going to be paid, regardless), but didn't these guys learn anything from a film like True Grit? Something which, in comparison, was made on a relative shoestring budget ($38 million), and earned nearly 8 times that amount.

Posted · Report post

Disney pulls 'Lone Ranger' reins

Despite reports that Disney has pulled the plug on the bigscreen adaptation that will have Gore Verbinski helm Armie Hammer as the masked man and Johnny Depp co-star as Tonto, the pic is far from dead at the studio, sources close to the production told Variety.

Both parties are looking to trim the film's escalating budget to get it closer to the $200 million that Disney was looking to spend to make the movie, currently skedded to shoot in October. Film will shoot in New Mexico, which will offer the studio tax breaks.

Scrutinizing the budget shouldn't come as much of a surprise, with studios often combing over a film's costs before a film gets the greenlight, especially at cost-conscious congloms. . . .

Variety, August 12

Posted · Report post

My bet is they're trying to figure out how to get that inconvenient story stuff out of the way so they can focus on spectacle. You know, like tentpoles should. (Though if that were the case, shouldn't they be pumping more money into it?)

Posted · Report post

My bet is they're trying to figure out how to get that inconvenient story stuff out of the way so they can focus on spectacle. You know, like tentpoles should. (Though if that were the case, shouldn't they be pumping more money into it?)

Like giant steampunk spiders? I really hope that's not the type of film they were (are) going for. Not all tentpole projects need to bust the bank.