115K at a baseball game?

I'm going to the Dodgers/Bosox exhibition game at the LA Memorial Colosseum tonight. For those of you not from SoCal and not over 50, you may need an explanation as to why this is a big deal.

This is the 50th Anniversary of the Dodgers liberating themselves from the urban decline of Brooklyn and heading (along with the hated Giants) to the West Coast, making baseball a bicoastal game. From 58-61, while Dodger Stadium was being built (still no sold naming rights [touch wood]), they played in the Colosseum - build as a track stadium for the Olympics and also used for football. An awful place to play baseball though. No parking (a major issue in SoCal), only room for 201' down the left field line, almost no foul territory down 1st base line, what seems like a dozen acres of foul territory on 3rd base side. To compensate for the short fence (the left fielder plays only a bit deeper than shortstop), they put up a 60' screen. You can hit a pop fly for a HR to left, but not a well hit ball.

My seat is near the top, on the third base side -- awful. that is the curved end of the Colosseum, and curves out away from the field. Seats like these are the reason it became de rigeur to take a radio with you to Dodger games - a practice many still follow. Vin Scully was the only way to know what was happening on the field, even though you're in the stadium.

As to the parking. They will have free parking and a shuttle from Dodger Stadium, because there are only a few thousand spaces in and around the Colosseum -- which will be going for $25. If I were to plan it well, I could take in BodyWorks III before the game at the Science Center, but I think I'll wait.

They expect this to be the largest crowd ever at a baseball game -- 115K, with a couple thousand SRO tickets. It will be more event than ball game, I think.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

That was bizarre. I doubt the Dodgers will want to do that again -- or if so, they'll rethink the logisitics.

They expected about 5K people to take advantage of free parking at Dodger Stadium and shuttle buses. They were only off by about 600%. 35000 showed up at Dodger Stadium. Game time was 7:10 and that is just about when I got to my seat. I got to Dodger Stadium at 4:30. My estimate was that the line when I got in was about a mile long. That's not hyperbole -- it went about 100 or so yards to the first turn, then down hill for about half a mile and doubled back again. By the time I got on the bus (1:30 in line) the line had probably grown by at least 50%. There were still people getting shuttled to the park at 8:00. Knowing how well this was managed and planned I left mid 6th inning and only had to wait 1:20 to get a shuttle. I live about 25 miles from the Colosseum. I left home at 4, got home at midnight and saw a couple hours of baseball.

The event aspect was kind of fun. Official head count was 115,300 which makes it the biggest crowd ever at a baseball game, so I'll now be in the Guinness Book of Records. The place was full. Since it is non-tiered, the wave actually works well and made about 3 laps before it died out.

As to the game, it was very strange to have the fence that close (it was 57' closer than when they actually used the Colosseum for baseball). The Dodgers moved their LF Ethier to the infield. There may well have been some 7-3 ground outs. The Red Sox played with 3 OFs, but severely shifted. It was long because it was a charity game and between each half inning they had recognitions of some sort -- often on the field.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin