another R.E.M. thread

Overstreet

Since I don't think I can cut-and-paste a thread from the old Music board, here's another REM thread.

Vienna13.JPG

Looks like the upcoming tour really is a best-of celebration. (Their best-album will be out soon.) Here's the set list from their show in Poland:

FINEST WORKSONG

BEGIN THE BEGIN

STAND

DRIVE

ANIMAL

DAYSLEEPER

GREAT BEYOND

BAD DAY

THE ONE I LOVE

I'LL TAKE THE RAIN

LOTUS

LOSING MY RELIGION

ELECTROLITE

FIND THE RIVER

I BELIEVE

SHE JUST WANTS TO BE

WALK UNAFRAID

MAN ON THE MOON

=======================

EVERYBODY HURTS

GET UP

IMITATION OF LIFE

PERMANENT VACATION

SO. CENTRAL RAIN

CRAZY

RADIO FREE EUROPE

END OF THE WORLD

berlin7.JPG

berlin6.JPG

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Woa...never saw most of those songs coming! That's one of the many great things about REM; their setlists are so unpredictable.

I must say, though, it's a shame to see my second favorite REM album largely getting shafted. The only song from New Adventures to show up is "Electolite"? Where's "E-Bow the Letter"? And "Leave"?

Ah, well, a minor quibble, and not one that many fans are likely to share. I can hardly wait for this tour.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

It's amazing. I hardly ever think of REM when someone asks me about "great songs," but in looking at the above set list one can see that there are a heckuva lot of great songs written by them. It would depend on the ticket prices -- i don't like feeling old when i go to a concert -- but i might be persuaded to see these guys as well.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Guest Russell Lucas

Wow. That is a great setlist. "So. Central Rain" has been my favorite song for about the last dozen years. I'm glad to see they're playing it and a lot of the older stuff.

Now if they would just add Cuyahoga and Talk about the Passion.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Guest Russell Lucas

Speaking of Cuyahoga, unless they add more dates, it doesn't look like they're coming any closer to me than Cleveland.

Combine that with the fact that Bob Dylan isn't coming to Pittsburgh this year and it's clear my itch to see a concert is unlikely to be scratched this year.

Russell, if you come to Chicago i'll grab ash and meet you there. But MLeary'd never show his face at this gig. Way too Top 40 for his tastes.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Is (M)Leary a music snob? You know REM hasn't always been pop music. As a matter of fact, it seems that most who posted here lean to the older stuff.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

You should all come to Seattle for the Bumbershoot festival on Labor Day weekend this year.

Daniel Lanois, Wilco, and REM... all in one day... for only one 15 dollar ticket.

And the night before that... RADIOHEAD. I'm may burst into flames at the end of the festival from joy.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Is (M)Leary a music snob? You know REM hasn't always been pop music. As a matter of fact, it seems that most who posted here lean to the older stuff.

I wouldn't say that, but Stef would. Which means it is probably true. I am a strong REM advocate, though anything Monster and onwards other than a few tracks is generally lousy. Chronic Town was my favorite tape as a kid. I loved the production quality. These guys were like shoot from the hip studio cowboys on the alternative frontier with those first three albums. It is hard to believe that at one point they really were as underground as it gets for American music.

Those first three albums are all before 1985 aren't they? Or close to that. The Pixies first album wasn't until 87, same with Jane's Add. REM were already veterans by then.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I may be overdoing it by saying "lousy," but Reveal is like the previous three. I could take 'em or leave 'em. They just don't seem as powerfully clever as the earlier ones.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Reveal has quickly become one of my most treasures albums, and I think it's easily REM's finest work.

It's their first album that really seems to stick together thematically, without any songs that don't quite fit (well, except possibly "Chorus and the Ring"... I haven't a clue as to what that song means).

It betters even Hail to the Thief and All That You Can't Leave Behind in that it's an excellent bridge between the old REM sound and the new REM sound.

Michael Stipe has never sounded better, and the band's melodies have never been as beautiful.

The only thing missing from the album is Mike Mills' backing vocals.

Just my $.02.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

I'd argue that Life's Rich Pageant and Automatic for the People are their finest albums, and that they hold together thematically very well.

But my FAVORITES are Out of Time and Reveal.

Now... LOOK AT THESE SET LISTS (if you're a fan.)

The stuff they're pulling out of their hats... some real surprises here.

Here are three set lists, plus a list of other songs that are appearing occasionally on this tour's rotation:

ONE SHOW:

So Fast So Numb

Pilgrimage

New Test Leper biggrin.gif

Animal

Great Beyond

Driver 8 8O

I've Been High

Bad Day

The One I Love

So. Central Rain

Fall on Me

Daysleeper

Electrolite

Losing My Religion

Cuyahoga 8O

Walk Unafraid

She Just Wants to Be

Man on the Moon

-

Everybody Hurts

Country Feedback biggrin.gif

Imitation of Life

End of the World

ANOTHER SHOW

What's the Frequency Kenneth

Finest Worksong

These Days

Drive

Animal

Great Beyond

Find the River

Bad Day

The One I Love

Daysleeper

Welcome to the Occupation =D>

Losing My Religion

Electrolite

She Just Wants to Be

Walk Unafraid

Man on the Moon

-

Everybody Hurts

Orange Crush 8)

Imitation of Life

End of the World

ANOTHER SHOW

Begin the Begin

Kenneth

Maps and Legends :roller:

Drive

Animal

Daysleeper

Great Beyond

Bad Day

The One I Love

All the Way to Reno

Orange Crush

Losing My Religion

At My Most Beautiful

Electrolite

She Just Wants to Be

Walk Unafraid

Man on the Moon

-

Everybody Hurts

So Fast So Numb

Country Feedback

Imitation of Life

End of the World

Other surprises:

Exhuming McCarthy 8O 8O

Get Up

Strange Currencies

Radio Free Europe :bounce:

Final Straw

Stand

Lotus

I Believe :!:

Permanent Vacation

Driver 8

Sitting Still

Feeling Gravity's Pull

Life and How to Live It :eek2:

These Days 8O

Orange Crush

Wolves, Lower :eek2:

Little America

Carnival of Sorts

Wake-Up Bomb

Star 69

Favorite Writer :?:

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Those lists look great. I'm thrilled to see so many from Fables of the Reconstruction.

Now, if they'd only add "Disturbance at the Heron House" and "You Are the Everything."

Guest Russell Lucas

My concert experience is decidedly limited, but aren't those mammoth setlists in terms of song quantity? They must be playing for way over two solid hours.

In comparison, Dylan's concerts these days seem to be going about twelve to fourteen songs. Somewhat apples and oranges, I know, but still.

Wow, that is a long show. I hope they come through here soon. Are they on tour right now or something?

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I'd argue that Life's Rich Pageant and Automatic for the People are their finest albums, and that they hold together thematically very well.

LRP is easily the best album from their "early period" (before Out of Time), but it's got a few lyrics that make me wince. "I believe in coyotes and time as an abstract..." Huh? That just sounds silly.

Auomatic might be their finest hour musically, but I don't think it's as thematically cohesive as Reveal. Many of the songs deal with mortality and living life to the fullest, but "Ignoreland," "Sidewinder," and "Star Me Kitten" all strike me as a little off-topic. Add to that the fact that "New Orleans" is kind of annoying and "Everybody Hurts" is a bit *empty* and... well, it's just not as strong as Reveal. biggrin.gif

As for the setlists... man, those guys are unpredictable. I'm still frustrated by the lack of love for Monster, but at least "Kenneth" snuck in there once...

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com