Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

13 posts in this topic

I may be the only man on earth who calls Terry Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen a "favorite," but, well... it's true.

And it's been an ongoing shame that the film has not had a proper DVD release.

Now, a Blu-ray 20th anniversary edition is on the way: Widescreen, with plenty of extras full of Gilliam goodness.

At last, new generations have a proper chance to see the film that introduced Sarah Polley to the world. It also gave most of us our first glimpse of Uma Thurman. Robin Williams has an unforgettably batty turn. And Oliver Reed steals the show, in my opinion, with his hilarious performance as Vulcan. Also, watch for Sting in a memorable cameo.

The effects were amazing then, and I trust they're just as amazing now.

But no effect is greater than John Neville himself, whose performance as Munchausen is a wonder. I still think he could have given Ian McKellan a run for his money playing Gandalf.

Edited by Overstreet

I came here last week looking to add to a film-specific thread on this title, only to discover we didn't have one. I was reluctant to launch one and now can't remember what inspired me to come searching for the thread.

I do really adore this film. It's far and away my favorite Gilliam film. It's held up well. And I'll take the manic Robin Williams in this film over the manic Robin Williams in Aladdin, Good Morning Vietnam, or pretty much any of his other films.

This is excellent news, as it is one of my favorites as well. But I am not quite sure what they mean by:

There are a number of scenes where the open-air shots are grainy (a 6/10 at best), but then you look down at two characters treading water in the next shot and the clarity and level of detail is nothing short of remarkable (a 9 or 10). For the most part it's a wonderful picture, but there are also a number of those grainy scenes that intrude.

Is that a transfer problem? I can't remember having this issue with the film before. Otherwise, the extras sound brilliant.

I loved this film, though it was long. I think about scenes from it frequently - like the scenes that introduce Uma Thurman's character, and the guy with the amazing eyesight.

I think about scenes from it frequently - like the scenes that introduce Uma Thurman's character

Spit take!! :) Are we thinking of the same scene, Crimson? Giant clam shell? How ... earthy, of you. ;-)

EDIT: This reminds me to link to this article about Thurman in the lastest issue of The Week. The picture in the print version is dazzling -- moreso than the online photo, which is different. More important, her words about single motherhood are tough and honest.

Edited by Christian

I think about scenes from it frequently - like the scenes that introduce Uma Thurman's character

Spit take!! :) Are we thinking of the same scene, Crimson? Giant clam shell? How ... earthy, of you. ;-)

I am a man of this earth. For better or worse. I haven't seen the movie in about twenty years, but I remember that scene clearly.

So say we all. ::blush::

I was 18, and I must say, Uma made an impression.

And there was nothing gratuitous about her appearance as Venus.

Now, there was another Uma moment onscreen that same year that really truly *was* gratuitous, and I really probably shouldn't have seen that when I was eightene.

Overstreet wrote:

: . . . the film that introduced Sarah Polley to the world.

How quickly we forgot Disney's One Magic Christmas (1985). (Not that I've ever seen it, but it's Canadian, and it's Disney, so.)

: Now, there was another Uma moment onscreen that same year that really truly *was* gratuitous, and I really probably shouldn't have seen that when I was eightene.

I trust you're not referring to Johnny Be Good or Kiss Daddy Goodnight. :)

(Yes, I looked all those titles up at the IMDb. Although, as a Canadian, I did suspect that Sarah Polley -- whose mother was a casting director -- had some native experience under her belt before foreigners like Terry Gilliam came calling.)

How quickly we forgot Disney's One Magic Christmas (1985).

Ah, but to forget would mean we'd have to have once known of it. And maybe I'm the only one, but I'm not well-versed in this one. ;)

Overstreet wrote:

: . . . the film that introduced Sarah Polley to the world.

How quickly we forgot Disney's One Magic Christmas (1985). (Not that I've ever seen it, but it's Canadian, and it's Disney, so.)

Not too far off. I think most Canadians probably were first made aware of Sarah Polley from the CBC series, Road to Avonlea, based on the Lucy Maude Montgomery books. Though that was a year or so after Gilliam's film.

Josef von Baky's 1943 film Munchhausen is going to air on Turner Classic Movies at 11:00pm Sunday night (1 1/2 hours from now if you live on the west coast). I posted this as soon as I saw the listing. This doesn't give a lot of folks much chance to even set a DVR, but perhaps it will be aired again this month.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

: Now, there was another Uma moment onscreen that same year that really truly *was* gratuitous, and I really probably shouldn't have seen that when I was eightene.

I trust you're not referring to Johnny Be Good or Kiss Daddy Goodnight. :)

It's beyond my control...

:D