Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darrel Manson

Young @ Heart

13 posts in this topic

This was absolutely delightful. A chorus of singers (youngest age I saw listed was 73, oldest 92) that put on a show of rock, r&b, soul, disco, punk and whatever else music. Most aren't especially musically talented, but they have a good time and the result is well worth watching. The film is both humorous and sad. During the course of filming,

two of the singers die

. It's not just following them around as they practice or getting to know them, there are also some great music videos that they do -- my favorite was "I Want to be Sedated," My wife was fond of "Road to Nowhere." It's interesting to note the shift in meaning as these people sing some of the song and the way we usually hear them. Tissues will come in handy for those so inclined. My wife used a lot. I got pretty teary on "Forever Young."

Edited by Darrel Manson

I can't think of a more enjoyable time with a film. We smiled and laughed and cried all the way through. Very human.

Here is my review.

Denny

The husband and I saw this over the weekend and loved it. We were worried because the previews made it seem kind of kitschy but we both ended up really enjoying it. And you'll never think of "Fix You" in the same way again.

you'll never think of "Fix You" in the same way again.

Oh, yeah. Really sticks with you.

Thanks for all the responses.

Asher and I have a chance at a reunion and seeing this this weekend.

We'll report.

Thanks for all the responses.

Asher and I have a chance at a reunion and seeing this this weekend.

We'll report.

I had been wanting to see this for months and it came to our little local art theater two weekends ago. I took my wife to see it because it had everything she is about written all over it (the elderly, aging, life, and her kind of music). To have those all melded together in one film was promising to be an amazing treat. The documentary style was simply icing on the cake for me.

Unfortunately, plans to see this with Stef and his wife did not work out - blame it on my own poor ability to communicate plans. It was our loss. On a more positive note, I did get to hang with Stef for a while in the afternoon - a blessing to my spirit. It had been way too long Stef!

With "Yes, We can" being an important part of the Obama phenomenon, I wonder, if he wins, if they can have Young @ Heart sing at the inauguration.

Wow.

There's Pat Boone recording In a Metal Mood, and there's Johnny Cash singing 'Hurt'.

This is Johnny Cash singing 'Hurt'.

I have my own copy of this and finally got around to watching it for the first time last night.

Wonderful film. Just a great doc, with beautiful, real, very old people, who sing like it is their last night on earth.

I'm looking forward to the ending tonight (I worked a 12 hour day yesterday, thank God, but fell asleep before Young@Heart ended.)

Just wanted to say: Great date movie, if anyone needs a night at home. If you've got kids, get a babysitter. Make her a dinner. She'll love candlelight. And watch a film. It's not a corny love film, but it has love written all over it. And passion, too.

Very warm. Will make for intimate discussion.

There you go.

Edited by Persona

Stef, this was one of my top 10 for 2008. It's a really wonderful film.

One of the best scenes for me was when the two old guys got in a near-argument over which side of the CD was supposed to face up. :)

Edited by Persona

I guess this is the Chinese equivalent of Young @ Heart.

(NBooth found it first.)

Edited by Tyler