Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Guilty Pleasures

29 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

We all have

Posted · Report post

I joined the Columbia House music club when I was a middle schooler, and I planned to use the service to get all of the Led Zeppelin cassette tapes. I order Zoso as one of my first picks, waiting impatiently by the mailbox for the cardboard box that held my rock and roll fantasies. When I finally fished the brown box out, I opened it...to find America's greatest hits album, not Page's sturm und drang.

Funny thing is, I like America now better than Zep.

But I do echo all three of those groups, Andy, though I think the Cars get a fair amount of respect.

Let's see...I really, really liked Blue Oyster Cult (sorry, not umlauting it) when I was in high school. I really defended them against the taste police. I think now I enjoy some of the their stuff, but the taste police won (white guys with fros from Long Island playing Michael Moorcock-written sci fi heavy metal ballads? Question mark?)

Marcy Playground's Shapeshifter, their second album, was a non-hit by a one-hit wonder. And I think it's a fantastic album, filled with great hooks.

I like the Bacon Brothers.

I like Urge Overkill, a fact I have to often defend. Their final album Exit the Dragon is easily one of my all-time favorite albums.

Posted · Report post

Never heard the Cars, but Elliot Easton produced the first two Amy Rigby albums, which I'm quite crazy about. He signed one of my favorite songs of her, "Dirty Bridge" (on the Middlescence album). But it's really fine, it sounds like Ron Sexsmith (or Paul McCartney).

My guilty pleasures? Don't know. Some French y

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great thread Andy. I have a buttload of guilty and very uncool pleasures that I keep well-hidden. Here's a few off the top 'o me head:

Red Octopus, Spitfire- Jefferson Starship-- both albums are deliberately mislabeled "Misc. Deerhoof Songs" on my ipod. Just in case some snooty critic looks at my player.

KISS-- every album from 1973-1977 including the oft-dissed ALIVE II and Ace Frehely's solo album... I really dont have too much guilt over these, because in truth I believe them to be classics. But when folks hear me listening I always feel the need to run them thru a ten-minute apologetic on the merits of early KISS. I think this reaction may be guilt induced.

Van Halen, Van Halen II and Women & Children First

The Grease Soundtrack

Any album by Ween

QUOTE (Jason Panella @ May 2 2008, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny thing is, I like America now better than Zep.
I appreciate your courage, but keep that one low my brother. wink.gif

Let's see...I really, really liked Blue Oyster Cult
I second that!

I can't believe I neglected my number one guilty pleasure, which i've mentioned here before:
Bread, Greatest Hits A great collection that gets no love from anyone under 55. Very influential slab of vinyl for me. Edited by coltrane

Posted · Report post

QUOTE (coltrane @ May 2 2008, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Van Halen, Van Halen II and Women & Children First

I think we need a definition of "guilty pleasure."

I've never felt any guilt about the pleasure derived from listening to the above albums. OK, the lyrics are pretty vulgar in spots, but musically? It's great stuff. I don't dig it the way I once did, but I don't feel guilty about having loved it for a time.

Posted · Report post

QUOTE (coltrane @ May 2 2008, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't believe I neglected my number one guilty pleasure, which i've mentioned here before:
Bread, Greatest Hits A great collection that gets no love from anyone under 55. Very influential slab of vinyl for me.

I know a girl from high school, now in her early twenties, that performed a number of Bread covers at a talent show. She was 14 at the time, and (literally) had a flower behind her ear.

I forgot about WEEN. I feel dirty just telling people about them, but I inevitably end up with their new albums when they're released.

Posted · Report post

I should add my own. I'm listening to the new Martina McBride CD, which I've written elsewhere is pretty good, but I don't think this is embarrassing, or something I want to hide.

I do like Kenny Chesney's song Don't Blink. Does that qualify? And I like a few Diane Warren power ballads, including one that shall remain unnamed, by Celine Dion! Definitely guilt-inducing.

QUOTE (Christian @ May 2 2008, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never felt any guilt about the pleasure derived from listening to the above albums. OK, the lyrics are pretty vulgar in spots, but musically? It's great stuff. I don't dig it the way I once did, but I don't feel guilty about having loved it for a time.
Depends on who the crowd is, i suppose. I have to defend them all the time. Try playing "Everybody Wants Some" at the pool party, right on the heels of a little Iron & Wine. Pure mockery. I think those albums are brilliant, even though i sometimes wish i could dial-down DLR.

I do like Kenny Chesney's song Don't Blink.
Over the last few years me wife has ONLY listened to top 40 country music. My kids have been swept into this obsession as well, much to my anguish. Brad Paisley's last album is on an endless loop at our house. AND... I cant believe I'm saying this... Letter to Me is... pretty great. Gulp.
Edited by coltrane

My top five Guilty Pleasures, from 5 to 1...

5. Second Chapter of Acts - 20 - first disc. (This is their greatest hits box set, with the first three tracks being recorded before they created an actual album... Matthew Ward must've been around 13 years old... and it even has a <gasp> a... a... <can't believe I'm fessing up to this...> a kazoo.

4. Petra (Greg X Volz-era). The band sounds all-too sparse today, but back then, with a four-album stretch, and a live album, they transitioned from guitar-oriented folk-rock to synth-dominated pop-rock. And Judas Kiss remains their crowning achievement.

3. Peter Wolf - Lights Out. Why, oh, why is this album out of print? Love it, love it, love it, love it, love it. Even Rolling Stone gave it four-and-a-half stars at the time. Bonus points: Mars Needs Women is an awesome novelty track.

2. Sun City - the single. Bonus points for having both Bono AND Peter Wolf in the same song.

... drum roll please...

1. The Xanadu Soundtrack. - Especially that song where the 40's and the Tubes'-era 80s fuse together, not entirely successfully I might add... but I still love it regardless. I wish I understood why. Edited by Nick Alexander

QUOTE (coltrane @ May 2 2008, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do like Kenny Chesney's song Don't Blink.
Over the last few years me wife has ONLY listened to top 40 country music. My kids have been swept into this obsession as well, much to my anguish. Brad Paisley's last album is on an endless loop at our house. AND... I cant believe I'm saying this... Letter to Me is... pretty great. Gulp.

Yeah, that entire album, Fifth Gear, is solid. I had thought Letter to Me was one of the lesser numbers. Couldn't figure out why it was released as a single. But it dawned on me a few weeks ago that the song is, as you wrote, pretty great.

QUOTE (Andy Whitman @ May 2 2008, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We all have Edited by Christian

My guilty pleasures mostly have to do with leftovers from my teenage years:

Bloodgood - The Collection - They were out of the so-called 80s "heavenly metal" scene, with a lead singer with a dramatic, almost operatic voice. Like any self-respecting Christian metal band, a lot of their lyrics have something to do with demons: beating up demons, stomping on demons, cutting demons into tiny pieces and feeding them into the woodchipper. The songs rock out, though.

DC Talk - Jesus Freak - This was when they cut down on the cheese factor enough to put out some decent rocking songs. Their version of the Godspell song "Day by Day" is terrific.

Stryper - To Hell With the Devil - I admit I have a soft spot for these guys. Only for the music, not because of how cute they looked in their bumblebee suits. Edited by Crow

Posted · Report post

I just recovered some stuff for my collection.

Emusic has the entire discography for Jerusalem. I now have Dancing on the Head of the Serpent, Warrior and Volumes 1 & 2.

These are anything but good, and the lyrics tended toward absurd cheese...but it's fun!

Posted · Report post

I think I'm the cheesiest at the moment. One song will do it and this is sincere. "Afternoon Delight" by The Starland Vocal Band. I always have to stop what I'm doing and listen to the close harmony on this song. I REALLY, REALLY like the sound of this song.

As to Van Halen, I'm partial to Diver Down.

Oh, and this high churchman is a sucker for some of those Bill Gaither Homecoming shows sometimes found on christian cable channels. Never liked Gaither at all, but I like those.

Posted · Report post

!!! A cars reevaluation!!! Let's Go!!! Elliot Eastman is a very underrated guitar player. Ben Orr could sing. David Robinson was a Modern Lover and an amazing minimalist. Ric Ocasek could write an interesting song.

I will admit that I have ridiculous amounts of AC/DC and ZZ Top on my iPod.

Much to the chagrin of my very Jazz knowledgeable friends, I am very fond of Sonny Rollins, "Way Out West".

Marty Robbins.

Posted · Report post

QUOTE (mumbleypeg @ May 3 2008, 02:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Much to the chagrin of my very Jazz knowledgeable friends, I am very fond of Sonny Rollins, "Way Out West".

blink.gif

Posted · Report post

I know it's blend of pop and electronica can sound a bit dated in places, but I still love Everything But The Girl's [i]Walking Wounded[/i] even though it reminds me of some painful (relationship-wise) times.

[quote name='opus' date='30 March 2012 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1333120635' post='269342']
I know it's blend of pop and electronica can sound a bit dated in places, but I still love Everything But The Girl's [i]Walking Wounded[/i] even though it reminds me of some painful (relationship-wise) times.
[/quote]
Where's the guilt? All Music [url=http://allmusic.com/artist/everything-but-the-girl-p4209/discography]gives[/url] [i]Walking Wounded[/i] 4.5 stars (out of 5).

I love [i]Amplified Heart[/i], which reminds me of when I used to think about phantom relationships that I'd never had, and how those relationships simply hadn't worked out. ::blushing:: Edited by Christian

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Christian' date='30 March 2012 - 11:37 AM' timestamp='1333121838' post='269344']
[quote name='opus' date='30 March 2012 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1333120635' post='269342']
[/quote]
Where's the guilt? All Music [url=http://allmusic.com/artist/everything-but-the-girl-p4209/discography]gives[/url] [i]Walking Wounded[/i] 4.5 stars (out of 5).

I love [i]Amplified Heart[/i], which reminds me of when I used to think about phantom relationships that I'd never had, and how those relationships simply hadn't worked out. ::blushing::
[/quote]

To be fair, the review comes from Tom Erlewine, a man whose shameless love of trashy pop makes him a legend among music critics.(Pretty sure he gave a rave review to Paris Hilton's album, for instance.)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Josh Hurst' date='30 March 2012 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1333123399' post='269347']
[quote name='Christian' date='30 March 2012 - 11:37 AM' timestamp='1333121838' post='269344']
[/quote]

I love [i]Amplified Heart[/i], which reminds me of when I used to think about phantom relationships that I'd never had, and how those relationships simply hadn't worked out. ::blushing::
[/quote]

To be fair, the review comes from Tom Erlewine, a man whose shameless love of trashy pop makes him a legend among music critics.(Pretty sure he gave a rave review to Paris Hilton's album, for instance.)
[/quote]
Ah, good point. Wasn't it his review of Toby Keith's "Red Solo Cup" that I was trashing in another thread? Probably.

Posted · Report post

I have a strange, uneven playlist on my iPod that fits this category perfectly called "Rock Radio!." It's a weird mishmash of mostly metal power ballads from the 80s, mixed in with... other stuff. Just looking at some of the songs/artists makes me cringe, but there's no denying it's fun to put this on while driving around town on a summer evening.

1. Boys of Summer/Don Henley
2. Angel/Aerosmith
3. Owner of a Lonely Heart/Yes
4. The Search is Over/Survivor
5. Hero/David Crosby & Phil Collins
6. Old L.A. Tonight/Ozzy Osbourne
7. Something That You Said/Bangles
8. Oh Sherrie/Steve Perry
9. I Won’t Back Down/Tom Petty
10. Animal/Def Leppard
11. Heaven/Warrant
12. Hole Hearted/Extreme
13. Feel It Again/Honeymoon Suite
14. Every Breath You Take/The Police
15. Your Love/The Outfield
16. Heaven Knows/Robert Plant
17. Carrie/Europe
18. Mama, I’m Coming Home/Ozzy Osbourne
19. High On You/Survivor
20. Love Song/Tesla
21. Jump/Van Halen
22. Second Chance/Shinedown
23. For You/The Outfield
24. I Can’t Hold Back/Survivor
25. Until the End of Time/Foreigner
26. Free Fallin/Tom Petty
27. Hysteria/Def Leppard
28. Don’t Know What You Got til’ It’s Gone/Cinderella

[quote name='morgan1098' date='03 April 2012 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1333477669' post='269466']
[/quote]
Honeymoon Suite!! Haven't thought of them in years, but the second I saw the name, an album cover can be seen in my mind's eye. Like it was yesterday, and I was browsing the record store.

[quote]
17. Carrie/Europe
[/quote]
This is the only song, beside Honeymoon Suite's, that I can't quite put my finger on in terms of melody. I'm sure I heard it many times -- probably saw the video over and over again during my freshman year at college, on that MTV countdown show Adam Curry hosted. Edited by Christian

Posted · Report post

[quote name='morgan1098' date='03 April 2012 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1333477669' post='269466']
1. Boys of Summer/Don Henley
2. Angel/Aerosmith
3. Owner of a Lonely Heart/Yes
4. The Search is Over/Survivor
5. Hero/David Crosby & Phil Collins
6. Old L.A. Tonight/Ozzy Osbourne
7. Something That You Said/Bangles
8. Oh Sherrie/Steve Perry
9. I Won’t Back Down/Tom Petty
10. Animal/Def Leppard
11. Heaven/Warrant
12. Hole Hearted/Extreme
14. Every Breath You Take/The Police
15. Your Love/The Outfield
16. Heaven Knows/Robert Plant
17. Carrie/Europe
18. Mama, I’m Coming Home/Ozzy Osbourne
19. High On You/Survivor
20. Love Song/Tesla
21. Jump/Van Halen
22. Second Chance/Shinedown
23. For You/The Outfield
24. I Can’t Hold Back/Survivor
25. Until the End of Time/Foreigner
26. Free Fallin/Tom Petty
27. Hysteria/Def Leppard
28. Don’t Know What You Got til’ It’s Gone/Cinderella
[/quote]

I own at least 20 of these tracks...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Christian' date='30 March 2012 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1333121838' post='269344']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yeah... "phantom relationships" definitely haunt [i]Walking Wounded[/i] for me.

Posted · Report post

Kid Rock - All Summer Long
Rush - Time Stand Still (added bonus, the video for this song may be my all time biggest music video guilty pleasure) [media]http://youtu.be/UTFHwTKWawU[/media]

Posted · Report post

Recent additions to my iPod:
A Flock of Seagulls (their whole first album).
Rick Springfield's "Celebrate Youth"
John Parr's "Naughty Naughty", Animotion's "Obsession", Rod Stewart's "Infatuation", etc.
Selections from Prince's Lovesexy and Graffiti Bridge--(the former had to be edited manually, as it was recorded as a single 40-something minute track).
Erasure (Yahoo!)

Let the attacks begin...