The Gospel According to Jethro Tull

OMG! We are creeching into a flute filled world!

More than once in rehearsals over the years as things got weird or pretentious, I have stood on one leg and made like I was playing a flute. I so want to hate Jethro Tull. The thought of that flute alone darn near makes me want to strangle my cat.

Last year a friend of mine sent me a picture of a sculpture he had just finished. He had decided to call it Locomotive breath. It is now his ring tone. In Jr High, I clocked a lot of time with an 8 track of Aqualung. I don't know how it came to reside at our house but it did. Locomotive Breath still rocks, pretty hard.

2ish years ago, my friend Tom, decided he had enough of me bad mouthing the Tull. He gave me the first three Tull albums:

This Was

Stand Up

Benefit

He told me he wouldn't talk to me again until I had listened to them. We were involved in a writing project, I wanted to continue. Listen I did. Once I got past my prejudice and I have a pretty good pile of it, they were pretty good. Not heavy rotation mind you but still, pretty good.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Plato

• 2 months later...

What I got from listening to Jethro Tull in high school is that the singer was deeply bitter about his religious upbringing and the authority figures of his youth and deeply skeptical of religion. It makes you wonder what happened to him to cause this (ideas occur to me, but I would hesitate to mention them). But I'm glad someone found something in his words that moved them closer to God (eventually)!

What I got from listening to Jethro Tull in high school is that the singer was deeply bitter about his religious upbringing and the authority figures of his youth and deeply skeptical of religion. It makes you wonder what happened to him to cause this (ideas occur to me, but I would hesitate to mention them). But I'm glad someone found something in his words that moved them closer to God (eventually)!

Jethro Tull has received some press recently re the passing of Tony Snow. :( In fact, Tony jammed with at least two members of the band (courtesy of Fox News and The O'Reilly Factor).

Long days and pleasant nights.

"I am Tyler Durden's raging spleen!"