Sign in to follow this  
Jason Panella

MMORPGs

I played Everquest a good deal in college. I've played City of Heroes and City of Villains since they were released. I downloaded the 14-day trial of Star Wars Galaxies last night and...played for an hour or two.

What other massively multiplayer online role-playing games do you play? I know there's a few on the boards. Chime in! What do you like? What don't you like? What's your dream game? What the best experience you had?

I have a couple of co-workers who are obsessed with World Of Warcraft. I've been tempted to try out the demo myself, but I just don't have time.

I'd also like to check out EVE Online, if only to see the graphics in action. I don't think I've seen a more gorgeous game.

I have a couple of co-workers who are obsessed with World Of Warcraft. I've been tempted to try out the demo myself, but I just don't have time.

My son and I play World of Warcraft. Time is an issue, especially if you want to do well in the game. I found as a result I watch a lot less TV as a result. The other benefit is I can virtually hangout with a friend who lives half way across the country.

I am new to WoW. It is addictive, because leveling up is like trying to get to next high.

My name is Bidkar (2 Kings 9:25), a Dwarven hunter, who is a leather worker.

Lots of good one time occurring names in the Bible that can be used for WoW. Since I don't have a wife, and even if I did, I think she would be opposed to me naming our son Ishtob (2 Samuel 10: 6, 8) - I have to spread the love for obscure Biblical names into WoW.

Speaking of this, I have met women named Jezebel and Delilah, but I have never met a woman named Rahab or Tamar. Why go with villainy over names cherished in Jesus' genealogy?

Edited by Michael Todd

I was looking at a page on Wikipedia that compared several aspects of the various MMORPGs, including current player base. It's pretty eye-opening, in several ways. I knew WoW was the big kid on the block, but I didn't realize by how many people. And I was also shocked to see some of the second-gen MMORPGs (WWII Online, Dark Ages of Camelot) with consistent player bases.

I played Everquest for, oh, maybe two and a half years in college. It was enjoyable, though I was very casual in some regards; I never got a character higher than the low-30s level-wise (I think at the time, 50 was the level cap), and when I tried to do some of the more hardcore raids or whatnot, I got bored and frustrated. There are some aspects of it that I miss, though. My ranger was a lot of fun to play.

Since then, I've been playing City of Heroes and City of Villains. I got the game about a month after it was released (in Aug. 2004), and

EVE Online does look great, but for some reason the fact that everything is in-ship is a big turn-off.

FWIW, I think the next major upgrade to EVE Online will fix that. To what extent, though, I don't know.

Has anyone played Shadows Of Angmar? I love the idea of a Lord Of The Rings-inspired MMORPG -- the world is certainly big and open-ended enough -- and I read some of the developers' diaries that gave me hope that the makers were trying to be somewhat true to the spirit of LOTR, but how is it for real?

I might give the trial a try

I played WoW with a few friends pretty extensively, enough that I ended up selling my character (very well equipped level 70) for a shocking amount of money. I simply couldn't continue, as one must have an incredible amount of free time on their hands to make it to the upper levels of the game.

Having had no MMORPG experience before that, I was really impressed with it and look forward to what "gaming" will be like in a decade from now. I knew a lot of couples that played the game together, fathers that played with their sons, and I even made some pretty close friends just by chatting with them while playing. (We still talk frequently even though I quit playing months ago.) I honestly think people will begin to see MMORPGs as a viable social activity in the future. We always have that South Park episode in mind while thinking of WoW players, but that stereotype isn't necessarily the case. The sheer cooperation it takes to beat even mid-level content makes the entire process worth experiencing.

If Angmar has a trial, I will give it a look-see. But I haven't found anything at all comparable to WoW. It is kind of hard to match the development of a game 10 million people play.

One attraction to WoW is that it was the first MMORPG to make all the math available to players. You can spreadsheet every facet of the game and figure out ways to utilize the system to your advantage. This does two things: 1 - It forces Blizzard to be continually accountable for programming errors, making the game as accurate in real time as possible. 2 - If there are imbalances between characters due to programming, they are found and corrected very quickly. This makes PvP viable and less frustrating than buggier games.

WoW's in game customer support system is a big plus. The massive amount of people that play make the in game economy system difficult to tamper with - in other games it is much easier for smart people to play the trade system. And I guess the fact that WoW has been around for so long is a big plus. The gaming is very clean/debugged because every bit of the map has been played for years. And you get to fly around on dragon birds!

Granted, I haven't played many others, so I could be wrong.

Honestly, WoW is still a baby in the MMORPG world. Though the Lord of the Ring one and a few others may be newer, the bulk of MMORPGs have been around for twice as long.

Those are good points. But both ones that City of Heroes does as well. (Very few bugs, numbers provided, has age under its belt.) :)

Age of Conan appears to be doing quite well. I have some friends that play but don't have a computer that can run it.

Also new to me are browser-based MMOs. Ikariam is one that isn't bad, but it's still in development and at higher levels of play there just doesn't seem to be much to do.

I've been addicted to World of Warcraft for a couple years. I have four (almost 5!) level 70 characters, and at the peak of my playing I was probably spending 6-10 hours playing every day. I quit for about a month after The Burning Crusade came out, but I realized that when I'm not playing WoW, I pass the time by buying lots of things I don't need online... so I actually feel the addiction is beneficial to me.

Age of Conan appears to be doing quite well. I have some friends that play but don't have a computer that can run it.

I've heard the same thing from a few people that have tried it

Due to lack of money, I no longer play MMORPGs...

...but before I was married and had kids to feed and put diapers on...

I played Star Wars Galaxy's when it first came out and loved it, but my internet connection was so SLOW even though it was DSL. So I rarely was able to enjoy it when I was around large numbers of people on a busy server. Going it alone really didn't work well when you started out...

...at the same time, I played City of Heros also close to when it first came out and enjoyed it a bit more than Star Wars Galaxy's. Maybe its the comic book fan boy in me, or that the servers were run better and I could do just fine and operate normally without any server lag!

I only stopped when I realized it was late August in Alaska during my first summer in Alaska, and I decided to stop the games and get out for the rest of the summer... Then in winter my vehicle broke and I couldn't afford it... You win some, you lose some... I might pick up Galaxy's again someday!

Yeah, Sudsy, I stopped playing City of Heroes a few months ago for financial reasons. I still like the game a lot, but realize I wasn't putting as much time into it as felt I needed to to make it worth it. Paying off school loans and saving for when I have a family / home have become a massively multiplayer game in a way, come to think of it.

Paying off school loans and saving for when I have a family / home have become a massively multiplayer game in a way, come to think of it.

Sad, but true. I played through the latest Guild Wars recently and was underwhelmed. I am starting to think that "cheap" and "MMORPG" don't go together. There is a Bladerunner type RPG coming out soon that I am looking forward to.

Sad, but true. I played through the latest Guild Wars recently and was underwhelmed. I am starting to think that "cheap" and "MMORPG" don't go together. There is a Bladerunner type RPG coming out soon that I am looking forward to.

Great. Thanks, Michael. Thanks a lot. Now I guess I won't buy a house some day. ;)

Great. Thanks, Michael. Thanks a lot. Now I guess I won't buy a house some day. ;)

You may be able to build your own urban enclave in game. Does that help?