Sign in to follow this  
Guest Russell Lucas

Kill Bill Volume 2

Guest Russell Lucas

[ADMINISTRATOR NOTE: CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE KILL BILL VOL. 1 THREAD.]

Time to resuscitate this, I suppose.

Soundtrack can't be bought for two more weeks, but the track listing sounds very promising:

1. A FEW WORDS FROM THE BRIDE - UMA THURMAN

2. GOODNIGHT MOON - SHIVAREE

3. IL TRAMONTO - ENNIO MORRICONE

4. CAN'T HARDLY STAND IT - CHARLIE FEATHERS

5. TU MIR

Links to our first, second, third, fifth, sixth and seventh threads on the Kill Bill phenomenon. This thread is the fourth. (And it looks like the "first" thread might actually represent a merger of two earlier threads.)

Russell Lucas wrote:

: Time to resuscitate this, I suppose.

Ah yes, I was looking at the poster for Vol. 2 yesterday and wondering if we would revive this thread or start a new one ...

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

I didn't much care for the first film due to the unrelenting violence. Volume 2 surprised me. It doesn't nearly have the same level of violence or bloodspilling (though there is some) but what it does is flesh out the characters and their relationships. David Carradine is great as is Uma (again!). And Tarantino uses our expectations (built upon what we have seen before) to create an almost unbearable tension as we await the violence that we know must be coming. I found it to be far superior to Vol. 1.

I agree with you on just about everything, Michael, though a part of me liked Vol. 1 better, I think -- if only because it had animation and the new film doesn't. smile.gif

The thing about these films that kind of bugs me is that the dialogue is written and delivered in such a self-consciously artificial manner, for the most part. Tarantino USED to write movies in which people had arguments that were unusually erudite but still had the energy of real conversations. That seems to be lacking here, though Vol. 1 at least had OTHER kinds of energy. Then again, these films ARE about a subculture of contract killers who no doubt have various codes to live by -- every conversation between any two of these people is kind of like the tense moments in a showdown before anyone has pulled out a gun. Perhaps the scene that best makes my point is the flashback to the wedding rehearsal -- it's one of the most natural (and joyful) moments in the film, precisely because none of those people belongs to that subculture.

Prior Tarantino films were like the dialog of Joss Whedon...I don't know anyone who talks like that...but I sure wish I did. smile.gif

The thing about these films that kind of bugs me is that the dialogue is written and delivered in such a self-consciously artificial manner, for the most part.

(Emphasis mine)

The reason for this is, as Tarantino himself has stated, Kill Bill isn't in the same "universe" as Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown. He stated somewhere (link?) that this film was set in "the movie world" and the other films are in "Tarantino world." Basically, Kill Bill is the kind of movie that people in "Tarantino world" would go to see, hence the self-conscously artificial dialogue and effects. I think another film that would fit into "the movie world" would be From Dusk Till Dawn (infact the sheriff character from the wedding chapel appears to be the same as the one who the Gecko's kill at the liquor store gunfight in FDTD).

I love this idea, as its really something that only a real genre movie nerd would come up with. That said, I haven't yet seen Vol. 2. But I have the 16th booked off work!

Well, looks like Tarantino plans on doing Kill Bill: Volume 3... in fifteen years.

Click here, but be warned - there are possible spoilers.

Tarantino's next TV appearance. It's not what you might think...

"It's Pulp Fiction night on the next American Idol! Tonight, Mr. Tarantino will judge contestants on the basis of how well they groove while singing songs by artists Chuck Berry, Dusty Springfield, and Al Green!"

And you'll have to wait till tomorrow night to see it... POTUS is throwing a press conference at 8:30 ET tonight.

Sweet...I am going to a sitcom taping tonight...so I don't have to miss it...unless it conflicts with Angel. Damn...I need a VCR.

I like Kill Bill, Vol. 2 much better than Vol. 1. And it makes Vol. 1 better in retrospect.

Yes, the film is gratuitously violent.

But Uma is amazing.

Tarantino does some of his finest editing and music/imagery fusion here.

The cinematography is spectacular.

David Carradine is a pleasure to watch and listen to.

The Bride's character is given so much more depth here that I cared about her intensely by the conclusion. There is a scene where she just keeps saying "Thank you" that actually had me feeling rather emotional about the whole journey, something that I find a bit bewildering considering the style-over-substance nature of the whole enterprise.

The conclusion is satisfying in every way, so long as we keep in mind that this was never meant to be more than a tongue-in-cheek tribute to hyperviolent revenge flicks.

There is something deeper going on here... a conversation of what we really are by nature versus what we choose to become.

More later... I gotta run to a meeting.

Yeah, but if you really want to see Tarantino in fine form, you gotta watch American Idol tonight: smile.gif

----------------------------------------

GRAB SOME POPCORN, IDOL IS GOING TO THE MOVIES!

Elton John took a toll on the contestants last week. Will a trip to the movies treat them better? We'll find out live WEDNESDAY at 8/7c on FOX when the Idols take on songs from the movies! Who will take one more step toward becoming the next big star? And who will end up as yet another soul whose heart was broken by Hollywood? We'll find out.

And keep your eyes peeled for a special guest, one of Hollywood's most celebrated directors -- Quentin Tarantino!

Then come back THURSDAY night at 8/7c for the live results show. It's somebody's last night among the stars.

I am drooling all over myself for KB2. The keyboard is too sticky to finish this pos

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: I like Kill Bill, Vol. 2 much better than Vol. 1. And it makes Vol. 1 better

: in retrospect.

I agree that it makes Vol. 1 better -- that is, it gives Vol. 1 context and content beyond mere bloodletting -- but I think I had more fun watching Vol. 1.

Speaking of context, though, remember how Mel Gibson defended the violence in The Passion by saying he had "two words: Kill Bill"? I can't help thinking that Vol. 2 undermines whatever the point of that comparison was. Will Gibson now make a The Passion of the Christ Vol. 2 in which he goes out of his way to give his violence some context?

[ADMINISTRATOR'S NOTE:

I have split this thread in two at this point in the discussion, because the very next post by Dan Buck was one that sent the conversation into a larger discussion of Tarantino's violence and whether it is justifiable or not. To go to THAT worthwhile discussion (and rather heated debate) CLICK HERE. Otherwise, the rest of this thread is to specifically discuss VOLUME TWO and its relationship to Volume One.]

Question: Does the revelation regarding The Bride's real name shed any light on that "Silly rabbit" exchange in Vol. 1?

I thought I had another question and/or comment, but I guess I forgot it.

Hey, good connection!

And now, this just in from Movieguide, which labels the film "ABHORRENT": "Coins were falling out of pockets and hitting the floor all over the theater because people were curled up in their seats."

I'll be the clean-up crew was happy.

Guest Russell Lucas

Curled up sleeping? Curled up in fear? Revulsion? Anticipation?

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: Hey, good connection!

Thanks. When I saw Vol. 1, I thought that exchange was just another gratuitous pop-culture reference, but I wonder now if it was something just a little bit more -- like, was it an in-joke that these characters used to have back when they worked together, was it a nod of some sort to an earlier time before they became enemies, that sort of thing.

I wonder also what significance the "tricks are for kids" line might have in a story such as this which hinges on the fact that Uma Thurman's character is a mother.

I also find myself drawing parallels between The Bride and the Samuel L. Jackson character in Pulp Fiction -- specifically, the way each person responds to something unexpected in his or her life (you might call it an "act of grace") that compels them to change their ways. People sometimes say that birth, and thus pregnancy, is a "miracle". I don't think anyone makes that exact claim in these films, but certainly The Bride's pregnancy serves the same function in her life that the "miracle" of not being shot served in the life of the SLJ character.