Sigur R

opus

Details for Sigur R

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

And FYI, the cover art is not exactly work-safe.

In a Monty Python way, not a Pamela Anderson way. :huh:

Maybe, maybe not. The band posted a video on their site awhile back that briefly showed some of the photos that they were considering for the artwork, and they were a bit more than just Monty Python.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The band has just posted the first song from the new album, as well the video -- click here. The song is pretty interesting, and quite different than anything the band has done so far. Some commenter described it as "Animal Collective covering Dave Matthews Band". Toss in a little Steve Reich, and that's surprisingly close.

There's also a video, which is definitely not work-safe.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The song is pretty interesting, and quite different than anything the band has done so far. Some commenter described it as "Animal Collective covering Dave Matthews Band". Toss in a little Steve Reich, and that's surprisingly close.

That is a perfect description! I love it. Sigur Ros continues to climb my personal charts.

Should we start a new thread for the new album?

Should we start a new thread for the new album?

Done and done.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

You can stream the entire new album here.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

Love the new album. One of the most amazing bands around. They encourage an atmosphere of worship and adoration that Matt Redman, Hillsongs etc could only dream of. The video for Gobbledigook is a must to show in any worship service :)

If the world was my oyster I would never taste anything!!!

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Oh, that's what you meant by "not work-safe."

Unfortunately, I was confused by that terminology (I did not equate work with, well, work), and just downloaded the video, at work, and watched it. When it started I quickly shut the door, and then was paranoid the whole time that someone would peek in through the few cracks in my window.

I am enjoying the album. I've listened to it several times over the last few days. The first half is so different in tone than the second half. The second half is SOO quiet.

I agree with you mostly, mrrrty. My favorite bits of the album are the first two tracks, which are the only songs I still listen to. It's sad, really, because it's a beautiful album. Just after the beginning, I start wanting to listen to Takk..., which seems to flow better. But then I'd probably just listen to the first three tracks and switch it out for Wolf Parade.

It's extra-sad because I bought the album twice, once on mp3 and again on official CD. I guess I was hoping I'd discover the nuances during car listens, but that hasn't happened yet.

Edited by sanshiro_sugata

But then I'd probably just listen to the first three tracks and switch it out for Wolf Parade.

I'm wondering if you mean that you'd switch it out for Wolf Parade because you love WP and can't stop listening to them, or because Wolf Parade is far more accessible, easier to listen to, and super-catchy. Because I've noticed that tendency in myself, too, to not give as much credence to more "challenging" listens like Sigur R

But then I'd probably just listen to the first three tracks and switch it out for Wolf Parade.

I'm wondering if you mean that you'd switch it out for Wolf Parade because you love WP and can't stop listening to them, or because Wolf Parade is far more accessible, easier to listen to, and super-catchy. Because I've noticed that tendency in myself, too, to not give as much credence to more "challenging" listens like Sigur R

I'm wondering if you mean that you'd switch it out for Wolf Parade because you love WP and can't stop listening to them, or because Wolf Parade is far more accessible, easier to listen to, and super-catchy.

You know, I don't really know what prompted that reference. It's most likely the latter, though now that I think of it, my experience with the new WP album ran parallel to my struggling with Med Sud... Initial disappointment during listening sessions at the computer gave way to great enjoyment (and constant revisiting) in the car. I still prefer the first WP, but At Mount Zoomer is growing on me.

That's what I was hoping for with Sigur R

Can you explain this a bit more? Can you point to a Sigur Ros song where they do this, name the chord, tell how and where it begins to topple a bit?

I don't think me not being able to put it in words, in the music theory language, means I don't appreciate what is going on in the song. But I do want to be able to name it more specifically than I am currently able.

If I know anything at all about music theory, it's only because I made the right friends in college! Part of what makes Sigur R

I'm starting to really like this album.

'Goggeldigook' is excellent; partly because listening to it makes me glad for them, they must be pleased to have made something that sounds so fresh. But the first half of 'Festival' is the highlight for me - that singing is some of the best Jonsi's ever done, as far as I can see. As with all Sigur Ros albums, it's too long, but I'll happily forgive them that.

Festival is an incredible song. My favorite song of 2008 so far. Makes me cry when I hear it, very emotional song. Gobbledigook has grown on me, when I first heard it I thought it was terrible but repeated listens bring reward. A great song to play loud in the car with the windows wound down and totally embarrass the kids.

If the world was my oyster I would never taste anything!!!

Maybe the video should have been titled Glosoli-12 years later. I always wondered where those kids flew off to, and they seemed so innocent . . .

"Did you mention, perhaps, what line of industrial lubricants Jesus would have endorsed?"