Behold, the Athiest Nightmare

Overstreet

Yep. Both Cameron and Ray Comfort -- the other guy in the clip -- debated members from the Rational Response Squad last May.

More details here, if you're interested.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Alan Thomas wrote:

: IIRC, this came up a while back in discussing that "debate" involving Kurt Cameron . . .

Yep -- ahem.

And FWIW, it's Kirk Cameron, as in Captain Kirk. He was actually named after the character. (This came up when I interviewed him last week. Kirk Cameron, that is, not the Captain. And yes, we had no bananas.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Yes, yes. The Mighty Ray Comfort. In my early days i was a strict disciple of his method of evangelism. Still have a lot of his old books in storage boxes.

The sad thing is, I used to belong to a church where people would high-five each other watching his videos.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Before he joined forces with Kirk, his thang was "preaching the law" to bring conviction of sin. There is still some merit i suppose to this concept, which Comfort cherry-picked from a lot of puritan sources, but he reduced it to another 20th century evangelical formula for getting people into the Kingdom.

I used to practice this in my sermons at the old Miami City Mission. Never worked for me, unfortunately. However I did almost get my ass kicked once by some homeless guys fed-up with my condemning tone.

Edited by coltrane

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

If the ease of eating a banana is a sign of God's design, is the relative difficulty of eating a pineapple, watermelon, or artichoke a result of the Fall?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Jonathan Edwards wrote:

: The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours . . .

Good grief.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

If the ease of eating a banana is a sign of God's design, is the relative difficulty of eating a pineapple, watermelon, or artichoke a result of the Fall?
Or: Is the ease of using a banana to demonstrate condom usage a sign of God's approval of prophylactic contraception?

Brilliant - I too saw the opportunity for something like this, but couldn't quite manage to find something that was sufficiently extreme without being offensive.

Matt

Alan Thomas wrote:

: Edwards is never pleasant when taken out of context--including his early 18th-century, colonial New England context. He is a refreshing slap in the face to modern evangelical sensibilities that put forward feel-good "leaders" such as Osteen.

Perhaps, but he emboldens certain OTHER modern evangelical sensibilities that I have long found both repellent and unbiblical. I won't bother recounting my spiritual journey of the past ten years, but suffice it to say that one of the reasons I ultimately became Orthodox was because I had grown disenchanted with this sort of thing and I wanted to be part of a church in continuity with the past rather than doing the post-modern thing and inventing my own church from scratch. (Oh, the relief I felt when I realized that so much of modern evangelical theology goes back only as far as Anselm or Augustine, and that the entire Church had NOT been getting Paul wrong since Paul's day.)

: Nevertheless, one of the personally most important spiritual dynamics throughout my life as a Christian has been the understanding that my worth depends not on me but on God, who saved me not because of my greatness but because of His.

Oh, absolutely. But you don't have to conjure up fearsome images of how much God hates you in order to understand that. This image of God the Father as a raging, abusive parent who can only be sated by the murder of his Son is just way too pathological for my tastes.

MattPage wrote:

: Brilliant - I too saw the opportunity for something like this, but couldn't quite manage to find something that was sufficiently extreme without being offensive.

You know how YouTube provides links to other, related videos after you've finished playing the one that's embedded? I think at least one of those goes in this direction. :)