My Winnipeg

Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg is the most highly acclaimed film to open over the weekend.

And while threads for The Incredible Hulk and The Happening are buzzing, there's nothing here yet.

Anybody see My Winnipeg?

I didn't get out to the theater this weekend, and My Winnipeg isn't playing in Seattle yet.

*PTC: Guy Maddin

*I am coining the tag "PTC", which will indicate that the following link is a relevant thread to this one. To be used in the same way as "See" or "Cross-reference"...

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Anybody see My Winnipeg?

Well, obviously (given my location), no. But my brother lives a few miles from Winnipeg and teaches in the city, and from the comments in the link, this film sounds nothing like HIS Winnipeg. Although I appreciated Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary, I suspect this one will exceed my dada meter.

My Winnipeg is full of striking visual metaphors, ... But nothing beats the shot of Maddin's fake family lounging around a reconstruction of his old living room, leaning casually against the exhumed corpse of his father.
Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

My Winnipeg is full of striking visual metaphors, ... But nothing beats the shot of Maddin's fake family lounging around a reconstruction of his old living room, leaning casually against the exhumed corpse of his father.

Sounds perfectly Maddinesque.

Was it at least in black and white?

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to see it this weekend. Right now it is between that and Werner Herzog's, Encounters at the End of the World.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

I just heard that there will be a press screening on July 18 followed by a theatrical release one week later. Why on earth are we Western Canadians getting this film so late after the Americans, of all things?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this film. Weird, fascinating, and delightful. What makes it work that Maddin's strange tangents and fever-dream illusions are grounded in a sense of place and real historical events, and these events are reinvented into a poetic and speculative alternate reality. This grounding keeps the weirdness into getting so caught up in itself that it loses any sense of structure. And the film shows Maddin's genuine affection for his hometown and for hockey, while he laments the old buildings and the culture that has been lost in the name of progress, and offers up a wish for everything that has been broken to made right again.

Edited by Crow