The Sea is Watching

Anybody know anything about this film?

I'm torn between going to see the screening for this and the screening for the new Mandy Moore film tonight.

Wait a minute... no I'm not.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

shhh.... don't tell anyone... but ever since A Walk To Remember

ohmy.gif I'VE GOT A CRUSH ON MANDY MOORE!!! ohmy.gif

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 5 months later...

I hope you've gotten over your crush, Stef.

I've since decided that my crush was on Jamie Sullivan, not on Mandy Moore.

Too bad for Mandy.

-s.

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 9 months later...

Um, putting Mandy Moore aside, did anyone here actually ever see The Sea is Watching? I caught it a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. I have to admit that it was an odd way to get acquainted with Kurasawa, who wrote the screenplay but died before it was filmed. I've never seen any of his other movies, except for bits and pieces of The Seven Samurai. Apparently, Kurasawa's son hand-picked Kei Kumai to direct this one. Anyway, it's interesting to me because I've heard that it was a major departure for Kurasawa because he wasn't exactly known for creating deep female characters, and this one is all about geishas. The film bordered on soap opera at times, but just as I thought I knew where it was going, well, it didn't go there, which is good in my book. Aside from some rather poor effects shots at the very end (IMHO), the film was really one of the most visually beautiful films I've seen, and I liked the redemptive theme, the chance to start over.

I should probably see more Kurasawa films. Critical reception for this one was mixed. One critic stated something about it "being worthy of nothing more than a footnote in a book on Kurasawa," while others believed the director would have been very proud of it.

Edited by Diane