Nailed aka Politics of Love aka Accidental Love

Links to our threads on Three Kings (1999), I ♥ Huckabees (2004) aka I Heart Huckabees (for the search engine's sake), The Fighter (2010), Silver Linings Playbook (2012) and American Hustle (2013). We don't seem to have any threads on Spanking the Monkey (1994) or Flirting with Disaster (1996).

Finke has links to her previous stories on Nailed's woes at the link below.

- - -

David O Russell's 'Nailed' Shut Down 4th Time
This has truly turned out to be the indie film shoot from hell. The political comedy Nailed, directed and co-written by David O. Russell and starring Jessica Biel and Jake Gyllenhaal, was shut down by IATSE on Friday for the same reasons as before: crew not getting paid. I can't imagine why anyone would do business with David Bergstein's Capitol Films again...
Nikki Finke, Deadline Hollywood Daily, June 21

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I like David O. Russell's work immensely, but after those outtakes of his fights with Tomlin from the "Huckabee's" set started making the rounds, I can't believe he even still finds financing. Brilliant filmmaker, but clearly a mentally-unstable human being.

By the way, here's the link to Russell going completely wacko if anyone hasn't seen it yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F86s4Vq59Ks

Warning: It is VERY NSFW. The funniest part is when Russell disappears off one part of the set, you can still hear him yelling and cursing, and then he magically re-appears through a door on another part of the set still yelling.

Edited by jsyarb
The funniest part is when Russell disappears off one part of the set, you can still hear him yelling and cursing, and then he magically re-appears through a door on another part of the set still yelling.

I haven't seen the video, but it's like you're describing what happened when I interviewed him. He would respond to my questions while walking around the hotel suite, disappear out the door for minutes at a time, come back with things he'd brought from his own room, and just keep talking. Sometimes, in mid-sentence he'd make a phone call about something that had nothing to do with the film. I always describe it as being like trying to interview Robin Williams while he's in the middle of a standup routine. Oh, and then he dressed me up in a costume. Seriously. I have a picture of it.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

FWIW, we have a few posts on the Huckabees outtakes in the thread on Huckabees, linked above.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 10 months later...

Is David O. Russell's 'Nailed' Never Coming Out?

Probably much to the chagrin of one of our sources, we've been sitting on a story for months now about David O. Russell's "Nailed," and the fact that the film looks like it's never coming out. . . . But now we don't really need that as Jessica Biel herself, one of the leads of the political satire has basically come out and said it all herself in a recent article with the Orlando Sentinel, the film is unfinished and would essentially have to return for additional photography and scenes for it to be completeted (and they're not reshoots because the scenes were never shot).

The Playlist, May 5

• 11 months later...

Hollywood's Biggest Hustler

Nailed was meant to be a quirky David O. Russell comedy starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Jessica Biel, Tracy Morgan, Catherine Keener, and Paul Reubens. Instead, its unlucky cast and crew have gotten screwed in a way that wasn’t remotely funny.

For once, the nightmare had nothing to do with the famously volatile Russell, who brawled with George Clooney while making Three Kings and who inadvertently starred in a viral video that showed him throwing a spectacular tantrum on the set of I Heart Huckabees.

Rather, Nailed was one of many films caught in the snares of would-be Hollywood moneyman David Bergstein, a defiant operator with a string of movie companies that have a tendency to run out of money. . . .

Kim Masters, The Daily Beast, April 28

• 2 months later...

David O. Russell quits long-delayed 'Nailed'

Add another nail in the coffin of the long-delayed political satire/romantic comedy "Nailed," starring Jessica Biel and Jake Gyllenhaal, which THR has learned exclusively will be finished without the involvement of writer-director David O. Russell.

Russell has withdrawn from the $26 million production after one-on-one negotiations with financier Ronald Tutor, who controls rights to the movie with Pangea Media Group CEO David Bergstein, broke down. . . .

But the tussle over "Nailed" is not only about a movie in jeopardy; it's a worrying sign that a potential new player in town, meaning the little-known Tutor, has managed in quick succession to alienate a well-regarded film auteur and an equally well-regarded producer team. This at the same time the billionaire construction magnate is in the midst of buying Miramax from Disney for $650 million. . . .

To do the reshoots, stars Biel and Tracy Morgan will be required to participate. Bergstein has said that there are contracts with these actors requiring them to do the reshoots without additional compensation. On Tuesday, publicists for the stars didn't respond to a request for comment. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, July 13

• 8 months later...

SXSW: Paul Reubens Says He’s Heard Rumors That David O. Russell’s Camp Is Trying To Bury ‘Nailed’

The sordid saga of David O. Russell‘s aborted “Nailed” continues. The short version of the story goes like this: production on the film was stopped and started numerous times as shady financier David Bergstein kept running out of money and eventually the film shut down completely with only one scene left to be filmed. The movie has since changed hands to new owners who are eager to finish the film, but David O. Russell has washed his hands of the movie, and moved on to shoot the critically acclaimed “The Fighter.” Just over a week ago, a test screening for the film happened in California and according to a reader report sent to us, the film was in very, very raw, rough shape.

At a panel discussion to promote “The Pee-Wee Herman Show on Broadway,” Paul Reubens talked readily on a number of topics—including the new, gestating Pee Wee Herman movie—and expounded on “Nailed,” his role in the film, and gave effusive praise to the film’s leads while revealing that O. Russell’s viral-video-spawning-on-set-demeanor reared its head during filming. . . .

Reubens, like everyone else, wants the movie to come out but what he’s been hearing does not bode well. “It’s a great film. I think there’s a great film waiting to come out there [but] I’ve heard from a lot of people recently, that what’s been screened recently is a compilation, it’s not really an edited version and David is taking his name off and has disassociated himself with the film. I heard a rumor last night that someone is actually trying to bury the film because he’s become so successful now,” Reubens revealed. And frankly, we’re not too surprised. Our reader report revealed that tonally, the film—admittedly in its very rough shape—was a bit all over the place. Morever, we spoke to Russell in December and he said he had no pressing desire to revisit the movie saying, “There was a lot that was going on that I liked, but [the production] was kinda a stillbirth, you know? So when that happens, the whole thing gets kinda weird.” . . .

The Playlist, March 13

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

• 2 years later...
Photos have surfaced. And at least one website is reporting that this film will come out later this year. But, um, they never finished filming it, right?

• 6 months later...
Rated PG-13 by the MPAA. So this thing is actually coming out now, huh?

• 5 months later...

• 5 months later...

Arrow takes two from Voltage

Arrow Films has acquired UK and Ireland rights to Voltage Pictures’ Good Kill and Politics of Love (formerly titled Nailed). . . .

The UK distributor will also release the long-gestating Politics of Love, formerly titled Nailed when it was originally directed by David O Russell in 2008. Producer Kia Jam put together this cut of the film. . . .

Screen Daily, November 5

• 2 months later...

• 6 months later...

The back of the Canadian DVD box:

640.jpg

But here's what A.A. Dowd actually wrote:

To be fair to whoever refashioned Accidental Love from the abandoned scraps of Nailed, there’s little reason to believe that the ideal, untroubled version of the material would have been a comedic masterstroke.

Dowd's not happy about it.

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Tyler wrote:

: Dowd's not happy about it.

Heh. The guy who brought it to Dowd's attention is a friend of mine (a Vancouver-based critic who also happens to be a Christian).