Inglourious Basterds

First off, I didn't realize Inglorious Bastards is actually a remake...

Second, I agree with Eugene Novikov's brief article "asking why two parts?"...

Third, a link to Harry Knowles AICN article on QT's remake, and the original's DVD release scheduled for July 29th

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I heard that Tarantino, when doing his research of WW2, discovered so much stuff that he couldn't stop writing. Which doesn't sound like a good thing to me, because Tarantino has always had a problem with excess in his movies. Jackie Brown was far too long and Death Proof marked the first time (at least for me) that his typical, pop-culture obsessed dialogue interfered with the pace of the story he was trying to tell. It sounds like this could be happening again with this film.

Also, does anyone think that the title is going to give him problems with the MPAA? I mean, with some of the rulings they've made, is it going to be alright with them to have giant billboards, commercials and posters with "Inglorious Bastards" written on them?

I haven't liked any of Tarantino's films except for "Jackie Brown". In fact, I disliked "Pulp Fiction" so intensely I've pretty much avoided everything else he's done. It's not one of those things where I'm incredulous that he's considered talented by so many; clearly he's talented. His films, save for "Jackie" (which doesn't even feel like a Tarantino other than the nonstop profanity) are just not my cup of tea.

A BBC NEWS article indicates that Tarentino has finished the script for Inglorious Bastards, and that he wants to shoot it and have it ready for the 2009 Cannes Film Festival.

He (QT) wants the picture, a project that has been subject to several delays, to be ready within 11 months in time for next year's Cannes Film Festival.
Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 2 weeks later...

Nikki Finke at Deadline Hollywood is reporting that Tarantino is pursuing Brad Pitt to star, and shopping the script to several studios.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Jeffrey Wells reads the script:

I've finished 80-something pages of Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards script and while it's easy to see why others have called it Kill Bill meets The Guns of Navarone meets The Dirty Dozen meets Cinema Paradiso, I have to say that I'm mainly enjoying it as a violent, vaguely art-filmy World War II attitude comedy -- a deliberate exploitation piece full of war cliches turned on their ear, and a general theme of Jewish payback upon Nazi swine for the Holocaust.

It is absolutely the most inauthetic, bullshit-spewing World War II movie that anyone's ever written. And I love it, love it, love it for that. Every other line is a howl or a chortle. It almost could have been written by some 15 year-old suburban kid who used to play pretend WWII games with his friends when they were 10 or 11. Four or five times I literally laughed out loud, and that's rare for me. And every scene is pure popcorn, pure shit-kickin' Quentin, pure movie poontang.

When I read the character name of "Pvt. Butz," a German combat soldier, I almost fell out of my chair. This is straight out of the mind of Stanley Kubrick when he called two hotel-clerk characters in Lolita "Mr. Swine" and "Mr. Putz."

[ snip snip snip snip snip ]

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 weeks later...

Brad Pitt, Simon Pegg hang with 'Bastards'

David Krumholtz, Nastassja Kinski also circle WWII project

Hollywood Reporter, August 7

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Mike Myers enlists in 'Bastards'

Myers will play British Gen. Ed Fenech, a military mastermind who takes part in hatching a plot to wipe out Nazi leaders.

Variety, August 14

For me, the big question re: Myers is whether he will just indulge his usual over-the-top British-Scottish persona, or whether he will take the opportunity to actually ACT as he did in, say, 54. With Tarantino as his director, who knows, it could go either way.

Sam Levine (Neil from Freaks & Geeks) joins the cast:

Tarantino had me at Simon Pegg, and this just sweetens the deal.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

According to ComingSoon.net, Simon Pegg will not be available for Inglorious Bastards due to scheduling conflicts.

"Much to our mutual disappointment, I won't be appearing in QT's forthcoming 'Inglorious Bastards' due to insurmountable scheduling difficulties," he said. "We really tried to make it work but in the end, it just was not possible without severe ramifications elsewhere. I'm trying to remain upbeat, as Tom Selleck said 'Who the hell is Indiana Jones anyway?'"
Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 1 month later...

Title change......

Tarantino Sparks Confusion Over Film Title

15 October 2008 5:06 AM, PDT

Quentin Tarantino's upcoming movie Inglorious Bastards has caused confusion among film fans after the spelling of its title was changed.

The movie - starring Brad Pitt - was originally billed with the standard spelling Inglorious Bastards - but studio bosses at Universal Pictures have now changed the name to Inglourious Basterds.

A spokesman for the film's British publicists says, "We are not entirely sure the reasons why it has been changed. We think it just has to be one of those Tarantino-esque things.

"All we do know is that is definitely the title from now on."

The film is due for release next year

I had read an article yesterday that the film started principle photography last week, and noticed the title change. Perhaps this is the German spelling (he asks, not being able to schprken no German).

Elsewhere in Europe, Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) organizes a group of Jewish soldiers to engage in targeted acts of retribution. Known to their enemy as "The Basterds," ....

Story here.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

bastardsposter.jpg

Oh, I really like this poster.

Via, Hollywood-Elsewhere.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

If memory serves, the "new" title is the actual title scrawled on Tarantino's screenplay -- which was apparently full of lots of OTHER spelling errors, too (as well as grammatical errors like "should of" instead of "should have", etc.). Jeffrey Wells took it to be an intentional gag, but a number of his readers took it to be a sign that Tarantino has really bad spelling (and grammar, etc.). I don't think the title change settles the issue one way or the other, since it could be that Tarantino and/or the studio STARTED with a spelling error and then decided they liked it so much that they might as well make it the title of the movie anyway.

• 3 months later...

/film has a clearer version of EW's exclusive. The official trailer's supposed to hit very soon. And I mean "hit."

Shall I go ahead and admit right now that I have a bad feeling about all this?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

/film has a clearer version of EW's exclusive. The official trailer's supposed to hit very soon. And I mean "hit."

Shall I go ahead and admit right now that I have a bad feeling about all this?

I'll go ahead and predict outrage from veteran's groups, historian's, etc. I don't think Tarantino had any plans on making a WWII film. He's said before that he makes movies, not films. (Jackie Brown excepted.)

Edited by Backrow Baptist