Oh, I suppose you can discuss "12 Stories About Eileen.

M. Dale Prins

This is the last I speak of "Stranger Things" until I see the DVD commentary, which will no doubt explain all.

: Again...I was more concerned with being genuinely thankful in this, my

: first film. I was far less concerned about the butts of strangers.

Okay. Topic thus dropped.

: If you do believe that the film is going to be about white-on-black

: racism, then you are from some faction of society that has made you

: prone to believe that.

I would assume, given your (literal) signposting, that all factions of American society would be prone to believe that -- whites, blacks, poodles, verbose trees. Obviously,

: For example, I am editing a video about Haiti right now for some

: missionaries. If some of these Haitians saw my film, they would likely

: NOT make the same conclusions that you presumably did.

is true, but you as a director knew enough about your probable audience -- that they would not be Haitians -- that you could make some reasonably accurate guesses about what conclusions your audience would draw.

Pointing your audience in a specific direction isn't a problem, by the by; even the Dardenne brothers, for all their verisimilitude, are understatedly whispering to their audience,

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

M. Dale Prins wrote:

: As much as I hate to talk about "12 Stories About Eileen" on the thread

: devoted to it, all those on this board who have bought or bartered for an

: "Eileen" DVD have your soon-to-be-drink-coaster on the way.

Dude, I got my copy in the mail a couple days ago and popped it in the player tonight ... but only a few of the "stories" seem to have sound. Either you're doing something real avant-garde, or there's a glitch somewhere. Perhaps your disc is only designed to play on certain home entertainment systems?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

: Dude, I got my copy in the mail a couple days ago and popped it in the

: player tonight ... but only a few of the "stories" seem to have sound.

: Either you're doing something real avant-garde, or there's a glitch

: somewhere.

Um. That's the first I've heard of that. Um. Hmm.

I tried a copy on three different DVD players, and it worked fine on each. I can send you a different DVD copy and see if it works better, or you can try it on a different DVD player and see if it works, or I can send you a VHS as well, or I can send you a VCD as well, or I can have all 13 cast members come to Vancouver and perform it live at your house (slight surcharge for this option).

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Just a thought: If it's a story-by-story thing, make sure that both your speakers are hooked up correctly. Some of the dialogue, as I recall, only comes out of one of the speakers. That could be the problem.

Dale

M. Dale Prins wrote:

: Just a thought: If it's a story-by-story thing, make sure that both your

: speakers are hooked up correctly.

I don't have speakers to hook up -- I just play it through my stereo TV. FWIW, the only other DVD of mine that has given me anything resembling this sort of problem is The Beatles: Anthology, wherein some of the songs give me just, say, bass and vocals while leaving out drums and guitars. I assume that disc was mixed specifically for 5.1 systems, the rest of us be damned. Is Eileen a 5.1 mix too?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Peter,

I can guarantee that your problem is that your "stereo" is not hooked up properly. Your Beatles issue sealed it for me. It is a fact that many of the Beatles tunes are mixed with specific items ONLY in the left or right channel but not both. The simple fix...one of your outputs (i'm guessing the left) is not hooked up at all or is hooked up improperly. If you fix that, you will hear all of "12 stories..." AND your Beatles stuff!

Have fun...and welcome to the wonderful world of true stereo! biggrin.gif

Luke

PS - By the way, Prins, in your last post concerning "Stranger Things" you actually made most of my points for me. Thanks bud! I think we're on the same page...sort of. :wink:

I had a weird problem though with 12 Stories as well, and my stereo is hooked up very well. Very well indeed.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Cre8inator wrote:

: I can guarantee that your problem is that your "stereo" is not hooked up

: properly. Your Beatles issue sealed it for me.

Except my video doesn't play through my stereo at all.

But now it occurs to me, I DO run the sound from my DVD player to my TV through one of my VCRs -- the problem might be there, somewhere.

: But now it occurs to me, I DO run the sound from my DVD player to my

: TV through one of my VCRs -- the problem might be there, somewhere.

Two questions:

Is your VCR stereo?

Is your television stereo?

If nay on one of those two, the setup you have might be the problem. Because of course it could not be "Eileen." Oh no.

Dale

The answer to the implied question is: I don't remember. I have a check-off list of who I have and have not sent tapes to, and I can't recall if I've made a trip to the post office since I got your address. If I haven't yet, it'll be tomorrow for almost certain.

I think you did better than most. Otherwise, would I have rehired you for "[sic]"?

Dale

True, although I did drop the ball on [sic] since I got busy with moving and becoming a pastor and all that jazz.

Pastor Metalfoot.

Only in America.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Ron wrote:

: Pastor Metalfoot.

: Only in America.

Hey, he's a Lutheran who pastored for a year or two here in BC, so he's one of yours, Ron! wink.gif

Ron wrote:

: Pastor Metalfoot.

: Only in America.

Hey, he's a Lutheran who pastored for a year or two here in BC, so he's one of yours, Ron!  ;)

:-s

OK OK... I was a *vicar* in BC, and on the island, to be specific.

Anyway, yes, I should introduce myself formally, but there's another, better topic to do that in, and in that topic I will formally explain my s/n as well.

So yeah.

-Pastor Alex Klages

Trinity Lutheran, Winkler/Zion Lutheran, Morden MB

Pastor Alex Klages

Trinity Lutheran, Winkler/Zion Lutheran, Morden MB

A Lutheran in Mennonite country.

We have a lot in common...

Ron

I have now seen 12 Stories.

Tried the DVD player... nothing.

Tried it on my laptop... DISCO.

Put on my headphones... didn't work too well. Yeah, sound shifted from side to side, but whenever the music and dialogue were coming from the same channel, they kinda crowded each other, and it sounded more my headphones were broken than "stereo".

HOWEVER... I did very much enjoy the project. Great concept. Good story. Creative use of black screen and stills.

The monologues... all of the characters shared a distinct pattern of speech... a tendency to stop in mid-sentence and begin a new sentence. At first I thought... Cool! A family characteristic! But then friends of Eileen began speaking that way as well, so I'm wondering if either that is just a quirk of your writing, or if it was something you wanted all of the characters to do. If the answer is the latter, I am not sure what you were shooting for with that. Aside from that, I thought it was a wonderful idea to have a film in which the main character is never encountered.

It made me wonder how that would work in a film narrative, like a genre piece... a thriller, perhaps. Wouldn't that be interesting? A film that follows a few steps behind the detective so we only see the rooms he has just left, and catch the responses of people as soon as his attentions are gone...

Sorry. Tangent.

Anyway, I liked the slow revealing of her character, layer by layer, until your own massive monologue, which I quite liked.

And I have forwarded the disc on to Ron. "On to Ron". That's kinda catchy.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Oh, great. I will watch it now on my pc, hopefully that will solve the problems with it. Thanks for mentioning that.

I am suprised you didn't mention the music JO, I loved the music in it. In fact, I ordered the soundtrack.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

: Yeah, sound shifted from side to side, but whenever the music and

: dialogue were coming from the same channel, they kinda crowded each

: other, and it sounded more my headphones were broken than "stereo".

That's what I get for spending absolutely no time with the sound mix other than some basic increasing and decreasing of levels. I should have just monoed the whole thing; I think that would have fixed many of the issues some of y'all are having. Ah well. Live and learn and other cliches.

: The monologues... all of the characters shared a distinct pattern of

: speech... a tendency to stop in mid-sentence and begin a new sentence.

: At first I thought... Cool! A family characteristic!

I am not that clever.

: ...I'm wondering if either that is just a quirk of your writing, or if it was

: something you wanted all of the characters to do. If the answer is the

: latter, I am not sure what you were shooting for with that.

It was one of those thoughts that worked better on paper than it did on film: I thought I could parallel the uncertainness regarding Eileen's whereabouts with a similar uncertainness in the character's speech -- that they were never quite sure what they should or should not say regarding Eileen or (in the case of a couple of people) that their memories of her are already fading, and they're trying to backtrack and make sure they're telling the truth. However, it ended up buried so far in the subtext of the film that I don't think a single soul picked up on it.

: In fact, I ordered the soundtrack.

I just received your $49.95 check, so the CD is in the mail.

Um, seriously, if people would like MP3s of the various piano pieces I wrote and half-performed for Eileen (or the three-minute one I'm doing for my next film, "S.C."), let me know.

Dale

• 6 years later...