Sign in to follow this  
B Rabbit

Ezra Furman & The Harpoons

I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of their album Banging Down the Doors, so I was absolutely thrilled to find these 4 previously unreleased songs available for download here.. It looks like it was posted a couple months ago, but I didn't see anyone else mention it on these forums. Also, according to their blog they are in the studio recording another album. Exciting!

What does everyone else think of this band?

I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of their album Banging Down the Doors, so I was absolutely thrilled to find these 4 previously unreleased songs available for download here.. It looks like it was posted a couple months ago, but I didn't see anyone else mention it on these forums. Also, according to their blog they are in the studio recording another album. Exciting!

What does everyone else think of this band?

Well, my guess is that "everyone else" is about six people, but Banging Down the Doors was my favorite album of 2007, and I'm anxiously awaiting the new one. Ezra dropped by my blog last week (Don't you hate it when people do this? Me too. I'm ashamed of myself.) and mentioned that he was wrapping up the recording that day. So maybe August? We'll see.

I'm among the six people. Bought the album after Andy praised it here. It's raw and full of energy and verve. You have to get over the vocals at times, but it clearly doesn't mean to be comfortable, it's the kind of record that expresses urgency, thirst, unsatisfaction, etc.

Will this song be on the new album? :)

Well, I share his taste for Kirsten Dunst at least (who, I've read, may play Debbie Harry in a future movie)

The new album is called Inside the Human Body, and it comes out in September.

I've heard it once. I really liked their debut, but I LOVE this one, at least so far.

Eagerly awaiting your thoughts, Mr. Whitman!

The new album is called Inside the Human Body, and it comes out in September.

I've heard it once. I really liked their debut, but I LOVE this one, at least so far.

Eagerly awaiting your thoughts, Mr. Whitman!

You know, I wish I had thoughts. I'm trying to obtain the album. I have to review it for Paste. I've written to the PR person at Minty Fresh. Twice. My words appear to have disappeared into the ether. Who'd you talk/write to to obtain your copy?

well, i am yet another loyal fan who loved banging down the doors and i am jumping out of my skin excited for this new album. my favorite song i've heard that's new is The Stakes are High, which is on their website now. But I also love this song Take off Your Sunglasses....they're great and raw and I hope this album explodes everyone's expectations....!!! I didn't like every song on their last album, but the ones I did like, I was crazy about.

well, i am yet another loyal fan who loved banging down the doors and i am jumping out of my skin excited for this new album. my favorite song i've heard that's new is The Stakes are High, which is on their website now. But I also love this song Take off Your Sunglasses....they're great and raw and I hope this album explodes everyone's expectations....!!! I didn't like every song on their last album, but the ones I did like, I was crazy about.

The new one is great. And raw. If the first album was clearly indebted to Dylan, this new one is a blatant hat tip to Gordon Gano/Violent Femmes and Jonathan Richman, their wobbly singing, and their minimalist geek anthems. This one is loud, electric, primitive, and wordy, wordy, wordy. Most of the words have to do with growing up and maintaining your humanity in the midst of a world that wants to suck your soul right out of you, a noble theme that can never be exhausted. It's somewhat uneven, just as the first album was, and some of the sentiments are so naive that they're painful. But I chalk that up to youth and passion, and last time I checked youth and passion were positive attributes in the world of rock 'n roll.

Rumor has it (well, actually Nick Purdy at Paste) that Ezra Furman and The Harpoons played a song called "Ode to Andy Whitman" at their SXSW show last night. I haven't heard it, but it's kind of nice, I think, to join the ranks of music critics/reviewers mentioned in manic folk songs.

Oh, Ezra has a new album called Mysterious Power that is due out in a few weeks. I like it a lot, and I liked it a lot before he played that song.

Edited by Andy Whitman

I haven't heard it, but it's kind of nice, I think, to join the ranks of music critics/reviewers mentioned in manic folk songs.

Seems this would be a fairly elite list. Very cool!

And fitting, had it not been for you Andy I'd have never listened to him. I love this kid and his heart-on-sleeve style. Not to mention the Harpoons, who to me come over as a slightly more rockin' Modern Lovers.

Oh, Ezra has a new album called Mysterious Power that is due out in a few weeks. I like it a lot, and I liked it a lot before he played that song.

He had four songs up on his facebook player, they were all great. Can't wait for it to come out...

Furman's new album, Twelve Nudes is out and it's really good. AFAIK, Furman still uses he/him pronouns (at least, all the interviews and write-ups I've seen do), so I'll stick with that for now--but the past few albums have really leaned into a sort of queer trans-everything identity, and I think Twelve Nudes is probably Furman's fullest statement in this regard (yes, even more than Transangelic Exodus). It's loud, it's boisterous, it's angry, it's funny. It's just--like I say, really good. And at 45 minutes or so, Twelve Nudes doesn't wear out its welcome.