First Film Ever?

livingeleven

I searched a few times to make sure that this hasn't been started as a topic before, but couldn't find anything (I still might have missed it), but I thought it might make good discussion (also, I'm curious, as childhood still fascinates me):

What is the first film (or few) you remember seeing? And do you still like it/them?

I think the first film I can remember seeing is The Jungle Book, and though it's been quite some time, I think I'd still like it on rewatching. I should rent it sometime-- we don't have a copy anymore because I watched it until the tape wore out.

First one I can remember: A drive-thru screening of Herbie Rides Again (1974). I believe we also have photographic evidence of my mother and me standing outside a theatre that was showing One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing (1975), though I have no memory of the film itself.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I also have fond memories of Riki-Tiki-Tavi. :-D

I am told that the first movie my parents took me to see in theaters was The Little Mermaid, and I haven't liked it since. The first theater experience that I actually remember, however, was the first Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers movie. I would probably still like it, purely for nostalgic reasons.

I love the drive-in, when it's not rainy, foggy, or cold. :-D

I saw Smokey and the Bandit with my family in 1977. I clearly remember the scene where Burt Reynolds looks right into the camera and smiles. It was so big (it may have been the drive in). I was five years old.

I think I also saw Star Wars in the theater that year. So which ever movie came out first, that would have been my first film.

Edited by Jeff Rioux

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Just kidding. Some Disney re-release in 1972/3. As you can tell, I don't remember the film, but I remember the puppet show the drive-in had off to the side... which I had crashed... which is why I remember it, at around 2 or 3 years old. (My parents had reiterated this story to me, so I know I wasn't dreaming).

First film I remember? The first Freaky Friday was on the other day, and I have vivid memories about the stupid car chase near the end, especially the scene where the police car cuts in half.

(Of course, it wasn't so stupid at the time).

Edited by Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

Jeff Rioux wrote:

: I saw Smokey and the Bandit with my family in 1977. I clearly remember the scene where Burt Reynolds looks right into the camera and smiles. It was so big (it may have been the drive in). I was five years old.

: I think I also saw Star Wars in the theater that year. So which ever movie came out first, that would have been my first film.

Oooh, tough call. According to the IMDb, Star Wars came out on May 25, while Smokey and the Bandit premiered May 19 in New York City and went to the rest of the country May 27. So depending on where you lived, the two movies could have reached you virtually simultaneously.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The first movie I remember seeing is The Jungle Book back in 1984.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

King King is the first movie I remember seeing. I grew up on a farm, there was no cable, and we rarely picked up TV stations, but I do remember that coming on and being frightened by it.

Ghostbusters is the first movie I remember going to a theater to see. My dad raised me by himself, and he refused to spend money on entertainment, so to counter this, I used to listen to a local radio station that gave away tickets on Friday mornings to my town's four screen cineplex (it got tore down and it now a Subway). If I won tickets, Dad would go with me to the movies. This means of winning free tickets to the theater is how I saw Ghostbusters, Cannonball Run II, Back to the Future, Crocodile Dundee II, Ernest Saves Christmas, Batman, Ghostbusters II, Back to the Future II, Back to the Future III, Home Alone, and Ernest Goes to Jail.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves in 1976.

I saw The Apple Dumpling Gang right around the same time, but I know Snow White was my first visit to a theater.

I saw The Hobbit soon after that... at the local library in a room full of awestruck children. Then Star Wars, with my grandfather and my uncle. I have very vivid memories of seeing The Muppet Movie. I can remember almost the whole movie. I think I laughed myself out of my chair when Animal "saves the day" at the end.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I saw The Hobbit soon after that... at the local library in a room full of awestruck children. Then Star Wars, with my grandfather and my uncle.

That reminds me. I had almost completely forgotten. My grandmother bought my family a copy of the 1979 animated The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It was my first exposure to Narnia, and I think I remember it being better and more fleshed out than it actually was. Still, my sister and I watched it until the tape broke.

The first R rated movie I ever saw was when disobeyed my parents and sneaked in and watched _Jaws_ in secret on HBO on our new cable TV one afternoon. As about a 10yo boy living at the Florida beaches, it completely scared the crap out of me. It remains to this day on my top 10 favorite movies of all time.

First film in a theater (apocryphal): One Hundred and One Dalmatians

First film on VHS: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

First film on DVD: The Third Man

First current release in a theater: Fellowship of the Ring

My family watched more television and pre-1950's films when I was growing up. The first movie I remember seeing as more than just entertainment was Lawrence of Arabia.

And The Hobbit scared the crap out of me when I was 5.

Still, my sister and I watched it until the tape broke.

You were a bit rough on tapes, eh? :D

You were a bit rough on tapes, eh?

No kidding. :) Off the top of my head, I can think of five that we watched until they stopped working. More if I give myself time.

The first R rated movie I ever saw was when disobeyed my parents and sneaked in and watched _Jaws_ in secret on HBO on our new cable TV one afternoon.

I didn't see Jaws until I was fifteen, and it still creeped me out a bit.

The first PG-13 movie I can remember seeing was Jurassic Park. I was eight. My dad and uncle had just bought it and let me watch it with them while my mom was out shopping. I remember her being furious when she got home. I had nightmares about raptors for a week, and it's still in my Top Ten.

The first R rated movie I ever saw was when disobeyed my parents and sneaked in and watched _Jaws_ in secret on HBO on our new cable TV one afternoon. As about a 10yo boy living at the Florida beaches, it completely scared the crap out of me. It remains to this day on my top 10 favorite movies of all time.
Hate to bust bubbles, but Jaws is PG. Really.

My first R in the theater? I think it was The Man Who Fell to Earth. Seriously. And I was BORED OUT OF MY MIND...

Nick Alexander

No way! Really?

All I know is I was forbidden to watch HBO without my parents and specifically forbidden to watch that movie.

So it was rated R in my head. :)

That is correct. We used to play it at the video store because we were only allowed to play films with a PG Rating or lower.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

So it was rated R in my head.

I remember feeling that way about some movies. I have traumatic memories of watching a CBS miniseries-turned-movie called "In a Child's Name." I'm not really sure why my mom let me watch it (I was ten) but a luminol scene where they're testing for bloodstains scared the crap out of me. I still get uneasy about things that glow blueish-green. (IMDB link). Funnily enough, there's actually a thread on the IMDB boards about the same luminol scene that creeped me out. In my head, it's still rated R.

So it was rated R in my head.

I remember feeling that way about some movies. I have traumatic memories of watching a CBS miniseries-turned-movie called "In a Child's Name." I'm not really sure why my mom let me watch it (I was ten) but a luminol scene where they're testing for bloodstains scared the crap out of me. I still get uneasy about things that glow blueish-green. (IMDB link). Funnily enough, there's actually a thread on the IMDB boards about the same luminol scene that creeped me out. In my head, it's still rated R.

If you think about it, Jaws contains very little overt objectionable material... there's nudity in the opening sequence, but it's sillouetted across the rising sun, and nothing is seen. There's very little profanity, if at all. And all of the scary parts are thru implied action, save for a few brief (can we say effective?) shots.

According to the imdb page, it looks like it was initially rated R in Canada, and then fought to bring about a lower rating.

And this is all familiar territory for Spielberg, who fought for the PG-rating of Poltergeist and PG-rating of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. That latter film, however, helped bring about the birth of the PG-13 rating.

Nick Alexander

Oh, man. Nice challenge. I can't remember the first film I ever saw. It may have been A Thief in the Night but it was more than likely a Disney film - maybe Bambi, maybe Dumbo, maybe Pinocchio, hmmm maybe it was Danny Kaye in Hans Christian Andersen. I just couldn't say.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]